• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Trump reverses Obama's guidance on bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was anyone ever really concerned over being assaulted by a trans person in a public restroom before the whole bathroom debate became a mainstream thing? I'm no expert by any means, but I wouldn't imagine there have been many cases of trans people assaulting others in bathrooms before or after the debate started. I've definitely heard stories about cis people threatening trans individuals for using the bathroom that they feel more comfortable in though. There's just a lot of scaremongering going on imo, and I don't feel as though those fears are justified

Was anyone ever really concerned over being assaulted by a trans person in a public restroom before the whole bathroom debate became a mainstream thing? I'm no expert by any means, but I wouldn't imagine there have been many cases of trans people assaulting others in bathrooms before or after the debate started. I've definitely heard stories about cis people threatening trans individuals for using the bathroom that they feel more comfortable in though. There's just a lot of scaremongering going on imo, and I don't feel as though those fears are justified

Exactly.

Cis person attacks trans person, no one cares.

Trans person attacks cis person, "omg, trans people are all Hitler, all of them."

Its a double standard.

Last edited:
Exactly.

* cis person attacks trans person, no one cares*

* trans person attacks cis person, "omg, trans people are all Hitler, all of them." *

Its a doubled standard.

It does seem that way unfortunately! Trans people have been assaulted simply for being trans in public for the longest time, and the rhetoric used by those against the freedom of trans people to use the bathroom of their choice seems to have led to even more violence against them. It's heartbreaking to see really :(

It does seem that way unfortunately! Trans people have been assaulted simply for being trans in public for the longest time, and the rhetoric used by those against the freedom of trans people to use the bathroom of their choice seems to have led to even more violence against them. It's heartbreaking to see really :(

I was watching this video of a woman (who was trans) and there was a car which drove by, the man in the car pulled over and asked for directions. He pulled out a knife and stabbed her in the throat, he drove off and she bled to death. That man hasn't been caught and this was years ago.
:(

If a person can do this on a street with cameras everywhere then what could they do to a trans person in a restroom? I'm pretty sure there are no cameras in restrooms (if there is, ew) because it's inappropriate so they would have to rely on the cameras outside the restroom but even then the person can cover their identity.

I guarantee you that people would be all over the case if it was a cis person.

Last edited:
I was watching this video of a woman (who was trans) and there was a car which drove by, the man in the car pulled over and asked for directions. He pulled out a knife and stabbed her in the throat, he drove off and she bled to death. That man hasn't been caught and this was years ago.

If a person can do this on a street with cameras everywhere then what could they do to a trans person in a restroom? I'm pretty sure there are no cameras in restrooms (if there is, ew) because it's inappropriate so they would have to rely on the cameras outside the restroom but even then the person can cover their identity.

I guarantee you that people would be all over the case if it was a cis person.

I honestly think it's more than just cruel to commit hate crimes like that. It's also ridiculous to fight based on whether or not you identify with the gender you're born with. This is what this man was doing.

But I have heard worse. In the 70's and 80's, homosexuals were raided because they were homosexual. Like people used to go to primarily gay neighborhoods to commit break ins as form of hate crimes. And in the 50's and 60's, African-American protesters who fought for civil rights were persecuted and tortured by racists because of their fight for civil rights. Hate has always been, and always will be, a serious problem. It's contagious, unstoppable, and much more destructive than an F5 tornado or a Magnitude 9.0 earthquake. I wish it can go away, but I doubt it would happen.

I honestly think it's more than just cruel to commit hate crimes like that. It's also ridiculous to fight based on whether or not you identify with the gender you're born with. This is what this man was doing.

But I have heard worse. In the 70's and 80's, homosexuals were raided because they were homosexual. Like people used to go to primarily gay neighborhoods to commit break ins as form of hate crimes. And in the 50's and 60's, African-American protesters who fought for civil rights were persecuted and tortured by racists because of their fight for civil rights. Hate has always been, and always will be, a serious problem. It's contagious, unstoppable, and much more destructive than an F5 tornado or a Magnitude 9.0 earthquake. I wish it can go away, but I doubt it would happen.

Yes and its still current right now, the Orlando shooting being an example.

Exactly.

* cis person attacks trans person, no one cares*

* trans person attacks cis person, "omg, trans people are all Hitler, all of them." *

Its a doubled standard.

Double standards huh?

It doesn't matter who applies them or who enforces them. Double standards by all means is a characteristic of evil. It makes the Disney villains look less evil. That's how bad double standards really are.

There are many characteristics of evil, something we were told not to do. Double standards and other forms of hypocrisy are some of them.

There was a powerful quote that I found the other day:

"It's not about bathrooms, just like it was never about water fountains."

There was a powerful quote that I found the other day:

"It's not about bathrooms, just like it was never about water fountains."

Meh. Imo, it's not about bigotry.

Literally who cares? I saw the argument on this thread saying "use the one that matches your physical sex, you can't pee in a urinal with a vagina." Well, uh, sorry to break it to you, but male bathrooms also have stalls... Shocker!!!! In my opinion, there shouldn't even be gendered bathrooms. Public bathrooms are gross and creepy as it is, and peeing next to a person with a penis doesn't make it any different for me. If you're so concerned about the genitals of the person pooping in the same room as you, you're the creepy sex obsessed person, not the trans person. Seriously, why do people care so much?

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's 100% about bigotry, I don't see how you could think otherwise. It's all about how "trannies" are gross and sex offenders, it's about how they're "not natural," the "way God intended." If it's not about bigotry, it wouldn't even be an issue.

yeah no youre wrong it is very much about bigotry.

it is a way to justify violence against trans people and make us out to be gross, weird, violent and sexual assaulters whiiich is funny because trans people are harassed a lot more than cis people but Yeah Well .

some interesting statistics about trans people in bathrooms
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN13X0BK

yeah no youre wrong it is very much about bigotry.

it is a way to justify violence against trans people and make us out to be gross, weird, violent and sexual assaulters whiiich is funny because trans people are harassed a lot more than cis people but Yeah Well.

I know, it's pretty unfortunate. And trans people aren't alone. According to hate crime statistics here in America, the most common victims of hate crimes are homosexuals. And most of the hate criminals against gays and lesbians don't even consider crimes against LGBT as hate crimes. Sad, isn't it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/06/16/us/hate-crimes-against-lgbt.html

I may not be the icon of tolerance, and I support keeping gendered bathrooms if they are structured like today's, but I have never been anti-LGBT as I find this atrocious.

http://deadstate.org/more-gop-politicians-have-been-arrested-for-sexual-misconduct-in-bathrooms-than-trans-people/

This was an interesting article I found. These laws are just transphobia hiding behind the fa?ade of safety.

I disagree. I think it is a confusing and controversial issue. Those who partake in trying to handle the social issue are just trying to do their best.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Was it because she was transgender though? That is the question. It is likely the horrific man who asked for directions didn't stab her because of her identifying with a different gender than she was born with.

Last edited:
Was it because she was transgender though? That is the question. It is likely the horrific man who asked for directions didn't stab her because of her identifying with a different gender than she was born with.

I'm pretty sure Whiteflamingo was saying that if the woman weren't trans, the guy would've been caught by now.

Why is this a debate? Why are we at a point that where people decide to take a dump is a serious issue?

Literally who cares? I saw the argument on this thread saying "use the one that matches your physical sex, you can't pee in a urinal with a vagina." Well, uh, sorry to break it to you, but male bathrooms also have stalls... Shocker!!!!

Yea, and at most there's half as many as there are in the womens toilets...Because men don't need to sit to pee and urinals remove the need to aim and flush too, but they still occasionally need to poop, which is why there's at least one cubicle in mens rooms for that one guy who didn't plan ahead before they left the house.

Urinals also come with little complimentary mints in them because men in particular like to have a fresh breath. To the inevitable person who takes that seriously, you're a grade A moron.

But use the mens room if you want, I just advise that you try to avoid using the cubicles.

I'm not a citizen of the USA, but wow. This is dumb.

yes it's dumb as hell. i really don't want to say anything more because i have nothing to say. taking away human rights is not ok no matter what form or whatever hell this is.

I was at a Planned Parenthood event where they made all bathrooms all-gender bathrooms. Everyone was just going in and doing their business. People using urinals and stalls all alike.

The Trump Administration, other law-pushers, and lay-people making this a big deal need to realize that. This is just another thing to further segregate people and force them into sex gender binaries.

i mean, i guess if you're not subject to the oppression and violence, it's easy to claim it's not about directed hate and phobia.

this is why the discounting and continuous belittling of trans experience, of the experiences of all marginalized peoples as valid, concrete fact, is a problem. bc then people can be like, oh there are more important issues, but also its not abt bigotry. dismissal on two levels.

lol.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I may not be the icon of tolerance, and I support keeping gendered bathrooms if they are structured like today's, but I have never been anti-LGBT as I find this atrocious.

okay but is it possible that by not supporting what trans people are saying is VITAL to their safety and personal and public rights - that steps be taken immediately to address the lack of accessible and inclusive bathrooms, bc the current structure is actively harming them - that you are actually contributing to hurting/marginalizing them?

asking you but also as a wider thought experiment about how unhelpful the passive middle ground on issues like this can actually be, that you may not have considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back