• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Villager moveouts: old way or amiibo way?

Laurelinde

Bells
Switch
5842-4734-7696
So I've gotten my hands on a couple of Amiibo cards and I'm thinking I'd like Cleo to move in to replace Cole. Trouble is, I can't decide which way to do it.

On the one hand, just inviting Cleo from her RV means no waiting around for Cole to leave and no chance of him backing out. The downside is (if I've understood this right), I don't get to plot where Cleo moves in, and Cole's house isn't in an ideal spot. (Not terrible, I'd just like to move it a few squares over for path purposes.

On the other hand, if I wait for him to move out naturally, I can (presumably?) plot Cleo's house where I want it, and Cole's available for adoption if anyone wants him. But I have to wait who knows how long for Cole to ping on moving and put up with all the guilt trips along the way (I don't TT.)

Are there any other factors I'm not thinking of? What do people prefer: the new way of moving people in via the RV, or the old moving out, adoption or random move-in cycle?

Well I think since you don't TT the Amiibo way is best but I'm not sure about plotting. I prefer the old fashioned way since I do TT

I always choose to move a villager out through amiibo if I have the character's card. If you want Cleo to move in the same location as Cole but only a few square difference, you can create a separate 3x3 space for Cleo, but if that space takes up a part of Cole's house, try creating a bigger space from his house up to that ideal spot then do plot resetting the next day when Cole moves out until Cleo's plot moves where you want her to be.

the amiibo cards seem like such a convenient way to do this. do a lot of people around here utilize them? i plan on getting some in the future myself just because it seems so much better

You can still plot reset if you move a villager in with a card. They do sometimes seem to prefer the old house plot (or a nearly identical one), but they're not actually programmed to use it. Since the update, villagers don't move on paths, so if you want to move Cleo in with a card, you could cover your town in patterns except for your desired home location and plot reset a few times until she ends up there instead of in Cole's old location.

Also, when you kick a villager out via amiibo, they go into boxes immediately and can be adopted that same day.

I always choose to move a villager out through amiibo if I have the character's card. If you want Cleo to move in the same location as Cole but only a few square difference, you can create a separate 3x3 space for Cleo, but if that space takes up a part of Cole's house, try creating a bigger space from his house up to that ideal spot then do plot resetting the next day when Cole moves out until Cleo's plot moves where you want her to be.

Ah cool, I didn't know that worked. I had heard that new villagers from RVs just moved in exactly on the spot of the previous villager's house. I'll give that a go!

Ah cool, I didn't know that worked. I had heard that new villagers from RVs just moved in exactly on the spot of the previous villager's house. I'll give that a go!

They might, but they could go elsewhere. I had the same case when I initially didn't like Fuchsia's spot (I just wanted the houses to be aligned) so I had the villager who replaced her plot in the same area but move a few squares vertically and horizontally from the exact location. It was successful after a few minutes of plot resetting. If you're lucky, it could happen in one try. Good luck!

Last edited:
I always wait for someone to move out naturally before I move someone else in. I'm too lazy to plot reset and kick villagers out the amiibo way, since they always want to plot their houses in the previous villager's area. I've gotten too accustomed to not having to plot reset. But if you are patient enough to do it, then the amiibo way is fine. The plot eventually moves elsewhere, it's just a question of how many times you'll have to plot reset.

Back