• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

School Psychologist??

They'll send you to a mental hospital if you say your sad.

Source: Past Experiences

not the good ones

i get that people have bad experiences with psychologists and psychiatric care and that's important to share, but it can make people considering to get help to not get help. most psychologists and therapists are good at their job. if the one you see is bad go see another.
the consequenses of not getting help for mental health problems are . bad.

it's rly terrible that you were sent to the hospital when you didnt think it was needed. but so many psychologists dont do that

source: have (/have had) regular contact with 5 psychologists and 3 psychiatrist, have only been sent to the ER once for being suicidal (and i wasnt hospitalized because the doctors and psychologists listened to me) though i've had a lot more emergency meetings with them to sort out how to deal with me at the moment because they know i don't want to hospitalized and that it's not good for me. my primary psychologist is great and she wants what is best for me, which is how all psychologists should be like.

I've been seeing psychologists for the past 5 years. It's had its ups and downs, but medication has really helped. I'd say try to get your school psychologist to refer you to see a professional psychologist, and that way they can find the root of the problem. After all, seeing a school psychologist helped me get into a professional psychologist -- maybe the same will be for you!
But I don't know what the mental health facilities cost over there (assuming you're from the US). I'm Australian and if you're a teenager, you can get it for free depending on whom you see. I'm nearly an adult, so I see a psychologist I have to pay for.
And it sounds like your friends honestly don't give a ****. Ditch 'em.

Last edited:
I saw my school psychologist for a year, and she was absolutely lovely. My grandmother had cancer at the time, so my mother and I took care of her. It...wasn't easy, and between my disaster of a school life and my disaster of a home life, I struggled with genuinely wanting to die pretty much 80% of the time. I wasn't magically cured, but having someone to talk to who actually listened probably kept me alive.

Of course, I've also had some really REALLY awful psychs too, so my advice would be to try it out and leave if you feel like the experience is pushing you past what you find uncomfortable. It's (usually) better to experience a little uneasiness and leave than never talk to someone about what's going on with you. There's a big stigma surrounding mental-health professionals, but the majority of them really do want to help, and probably got into the field in the first place because they had some mental issues themselves that they wanted to better understand. The likely-hood that they'll send you to a "prison-esque" mental-hospital is pretty damn low unless you say that you want to kill/harm yourself or others. And that isn't really unreasonable, I think.

Screenshot (22).png

I've only been sent to a mental hospital when 1) I am suicidal, 2) I am deep in psychosis to the point that I am unable to take care of my basic needs such as eating or drinking, or 3) I have hurt myself or somebody else during an episode. Other than those reasons above, there is no reason they should keep you over 24 hours in an A&E unit unless there's legal grounds. School psychologists can contact your doctor and present evidence, but if the doctor or the court disagrees there's no grounds to keep you in a mental health ward legally.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The whole point of this thread was to reassure the OP's concerns about going to see their school psychologist and we've totally rained on that parade.

Back