any Neon Genesis Evangelion fans here?

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
NGE is maybe my alltime favorite anime (it's hard to narrow that list..) i'm currently rewatching the series and i love the feeling of experiencing certain things after you've forgotton them, plus when i first watched it i was younger and had a very different mindset so some things just hit differently with me now. it's hard to talk about particular episodes without crying, whereas when i was younger i hardly cried at anything fictional! anyway, are there any other eva geeks here? ^^ if so, who's your favorite character+how did you get into it?

it was one of the first manga i read but i really didnt like it that much. a few months later when i got into anime i was super surprised to see how popular it was.
my biggest oroblem with it is how the story is told. idk but at least in the manga the pacing and storytelling were really Meh. i think the idea and story is cool but i didnt think the movies and the manga were good. i havent watched the anime

i don't know what your preferences are, but i would definitely suggest giving the anime a shot sometime. i personally haven't had the chance to read all of the manga yet myself, but i do know that it's told differently. i don't know how the pacing is compared to the anime so it is possible you still wouldn't like it but since they were written by different people i'm going to say there's a good chance that you could prefer one to the other.

I need to watch this, I saw the first episode and it looks cool. but I just keep watching fullmetal alchemist over and over again...

ahh, the original or Brotherhood? i've only read the manga, and so i really want to see Brotherhood, myself. the manga made me cry! it was so amazing. i'm disappointed by what i've heard they chose to do with the original series, but i know it's well loved regardless.

ahh, the original or Brotherhood? i've only read the manga, and so i really want to see Brotherhood, myself. the manga made me cry! it was so amazing. i'm disappointed by what i've heard they chose to do with the original series, but i know it's well loved regardless.

Brotherhood. If you like the manga, brotherhood should please you immensely as it's pretty much identical. (or so I've been told, I haven't read it lol) I haven't seen all of the original series but I actually feel like at the beginning, before the plot starts to differ, it actually handles some of the earlier episodes better than brotherhood does. But brotherhood is still better overall, I think. ?\_(ツ)_/?

Eva is good, Eva is great

can't wait for 3.0+1.0 to never happen

not a fan of Rebuild? ^^; i've only seen the first one.. i'm wary, to be honest. i really dislike Mari

Brotherhood. If you like the manga, brotherhood should please you immensely as it's pretty much identical. (or so I've been told, I haven't read it lol) I haven't seen all of the original series but I actually feel like at the beginning, before the plot starts to differ, it actually handles some of the earlier episodes better than brotherhood does. But brotherhood is still better overall, I think. ?\_(ツ)_/?

i've heard the only difference between manga and Brotherhood is that the latter didn't have time for some backstories, so you should check the books out sometime! they're so good. yeah, that's understandable. i think the original series was a good quality series it just lacked the direction it needed from the manga, which wasn't complete at the time. i wonder what it would have been like if it had.

BZbgay2.png
love the series!! I wish Kaworu had gotten more screen time though, he's my favorite... :' )

I'm kinda sad to hear you dislike Mari. :'( She's charismatic and cute. I love all Evangelion ladies. Never watched the anime before. Maybe I'll give it a try.

not a fan of Rebuild?

no I'm saying that the key staff are constantly going to other projects, hence "never happening"

as for my thought on rebuild, 1.0 and 2.0 are alright but certainly below nge, while 3.0 is just beat by air/magokoro wo, kimi ni (though it goes much beyond that too as a character study, which makes the never happening concluding film much more interesting to know how it will play out for me)

Last edited:
to be honest, i hadn't even known there were push backs or delays with the films. after the first one came out and i got to see that one, i got out of the fandom for a bit (not that i didn't love it, i was just busy) and since i'm just now getting back into it i haven't gone back to see the rest yet. the last one is being made now right?

i know a lot of people don't even like EoE, and prefer the original end to the series, or like EoE but think Rebuild's done a poor job of character development..it's hard to tell what i'm going to think but i can say i'm not looking forward to what seems to be an unneeded uptick in fanservice (this is an interesting read on that subject). i thought all the characters in the original series were interesting and well developed, and that EoE was a great end, so even if the budget is high and the art is amazing, i can't overlook that if Rebuild doesn't do it justice.

I've watched the whole series and the movie. Shinji is my favorite. He's weak by nature, but his actions are strong. he's a strong character.

I was so excited when Shinji saved Rei in 2.0. The twist that he didn't really save her in 3.0 was heartbreaking to me but I loved how the movie was able to invoke that kind of emotion within me

I loved the original, but I absolutely loved the direction it went in the movies.

Last edited:
i'm not looking forward to what seems to be an unneeded uptick in fanservice (this is an interesting read on that subject)

do you know if this is pre- or post- the writer seeing 3.0?

want to know how low to set my expectations for not being complete garbage that completely misses the point of both the overt sexual fanservice in rebuild (or really, just 2.0) and what proper sexual fanservice actually entails when I read

super blunt, but I've seen way too many disinters on sexual fanservice in media that actually don't even fundamentally understand it to begin with to go in expecting anything worthwhile. maybe I'm wrong here (in fact, hopefully I'm wrong), but it's just a topic I flat out do not trust the majority of writers to get right in even the slightest bit

do you know if this is pre- or post- the writer seeing 3.0?

want to know how low to set my expectations for not being complete garbage that completely misses the point of both the overt sexual fanservice in rebuild (or really, just 2.0) and what proper sexual fanservice actually entails when I read

super blunt, but I've seen way too many disinters on sexual fanservice in media that actually don't even fundamentally understand it to begin with to go in expecting anything worthwhile. maybe I'm wrong here (in fact, hopefully I'm wrong), but it's just a topic I flat out do not trust the majority of writers to get right in even the slightest bit

did the original do fanservice correctly in your opinion? Does that particular scene in the end of evangelion with shinji and the unconscious asuka count?

did the original do fanservice correctly in your opinion? Does that particular scene in the end of evangelion with shinji and the unconscious asuka count?

basically every episode has fanservice. misato promised

but as far as sexual fanservice goes, I'm honestly drawing a blank. there's nudity, sexual situations, and plenty of erotic imagery; but none of those things count as sexual fanservice on their own. you can't divorce these things from the narrative, thematic, and cinematic elements that go into making something either more or less actually erotically charged (or even said erotic charging from these very same aforementioned elements). doing so just ends up with a rambling rant of little substance

best example elsewhere I can give for this is nisemonogatari. the show is infamously known for being "the most fanservicy" monogatari, but for all the core scenes that get this sort of community focus, all but one of them (toothbrush scene) fail at being erotic fanservice. most notably in the cinematic department, but neither passing narratively or thematically either

also, as a disclaimer, this isn't a defense of fanservice, but simply saying that fanservice is far more complex than plenty of people seem to realize or even properly understand. also, monogatari does have plenty of instances of proper sexual fanservice that exist just for the sake of existing, so nise's situation isn't even a defense of the series as a whole; but rather an isolated example of how the series does truly understand fanservice, and can therefore subvert this as well when deemed necessary

which on that note, I can't wait for all the people that will completely miss the point of a certain scene of reiketsu-hen when they finally get to seeing that

Last edited:
but as far as sexual fanservice goes, I'm honestly drawing a blank.

wait, I just remembered MAGMADIVER

which was pretty godawful with its sexual pandering (much like the majority of that terrible episode), and served absolutely no purpose in its existence

Last edited:
I think it's been too long since I've watched the series. I recall the basic events in that episode, but I don't recall the fanservice

I mean I just barely remembered it, and I last rewatched a bit over a year ago

either way, it's most notably with the hot springs scene at the end of the episode

Back