• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

have you ever had surgery?

I had a C Section... I wasn't put under for it, but they numb you from the waste down. I was really nervous because it was unexpected and an emergency, on top of the fact that I was about to become a mother... Haha It's soon crazy. I felt them reach under my rib cage and the weight was lifted as they pulled her out O.O Sorry if that was too detailed.

i've never had surgery, but i'm going to have to get my wisdom teeth out over spring break this year
i have a fear of needles and cringe at the idea of an iv in my arm.. so it's going to be awful

Never had surgery, fortunately. I keep myself in quite good condition. Part of it is likely because I'm a vegan and am very careful what I consume.

Veganism has nothing to do with need for surgery in a lot of cases. Eating veggies won't stop you from breaking your bones.

Nothing major yet thankfully. I've the worst anxiety over hospitals and medical stuff in general, so the day I have to have surgery done won't be a fun one

yup i had 3, i had a hernia randomly under my belly button, i had spinal fusion to fix my scoliosis, and then i had my wisdom teeth removed (not under general anesthesia).

probably the most invasive was my spinal fusion, where they inserted 2 titanium rods along my spine. i dont remember being wheeled into the operating room bc they gave me some IV drug beforehand & told me i will feel funny in 10 secs. i just remember waking up in ICU with them removing my breathing tube. i stayed in the hospital for 9 days, and recovery was pretty bad. on IV morphine for a while, ended up having to be put on parenteral nutrition for a whole month (food through IV basically) cause my stomach randomly collapsed from the anesthesia.
pretty terrible time to say the least. but that was 10 years ago! im good now!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Never had surgery, fortunately. I keep myself in quite good condition. Part of it is likely because I'm a vegan and am very careful what I consume.

Wait what? Lol I'm vegan and had multiple surgeries, as Dogemon said, has nothing to do with it, some disease/deformity states are unavoidable.

Last edited:
I had a tumor removed from my leg when I was 16. I was ready to die at that point in my life anyway so I wasn't worried about the surgery at all. The only pain I remember is getting stuck with the IV, the nurse I had couldn't find my vein so she started moving the needle around while it was in my arm to try to stick my vein and I almost threw up.

There's nothing to surgery, really. I didn't feel any pain at all the day I had surgery except when I tried to stand up to change clothes I fell in the floor. I couldn't walk for a while, but after getting over the stiffness I regained my agility pretty quickly.

Oh yeah I just read someone else's post, I woke up during the middle of the surgery and I thought the nurses were bad people trying to detain me so I started struggling and kicking. Bad stuff.

Last edited:
Never had legit surgery, but today I had to drain some blisters that formed under my toenails, due to working all day in my new steel toe shoes. I had to drill through the toenail with a needle, and well... Yeah. It doesn't gross me out in the slightest, but at least it saved me a doctors trip. :T

yup i had 3, i had a hernia randomly under my belly button, i had spinal fusion to fix my scoliosis, and then i had my wisdom teeth removed (not under general anesthesia).

probably the most invasive was my spinal fusion, where they inserted 2 titanium rods along my spine. i dont remember being wheeled into the operating room bc they gave me some IV drug beforehand & told me i will feel funny in 10 secs. i just remember waking up in ICU with them removing my breathing tube. i stayed in the hospital for 9 days, and recovery was pretty bad. on IV morphine for a while, ended up having to be put on parenteral nutrition for a whole month (food through IV basically) cause my stomach randomly collapsed from the anesthesia.
pretty terrible time to say the least. but that was 10 years ago! im good now!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wait what? Lol I'm vegan and had multiple surgeries, as Dogemon said, has nothing to do with it, some disease/deformity states are unavoidable.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm sorry if I'm intrusive but was the spine surgery for scoliosis ?

Edit- sorry I read too fast, I just feel not so alone anymore with the scoliosis thing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm pretty freaked out about it, I'm in no pain with it, but my sides are kind of caved in slightly and it's a minor curve but I feel like its a waiting game to see if I ever have to have surgery.

Last edited:
I had my wisdom teeth removed in December. I remember crying in the waiting room because I was originally just going to go with oral sedatives and local anesthesia but the doc said most people don't like it because they're still awake, and they usually opt for getting put to sleep BUT they use an IV and I really hate needles + signing consent forms and reading all the risks, yikes.
Then they took me in and stuck the IV in me, which wasn't as bad as I expected but the thought was still uncomfortable. They said I should start feeling sleepy and that'd I'd be out in about 10 seconds but that..... did not..... happen. I wasn't feeling sleepy at all and I was counting for way more than 10 seconds. The surgeon came in and already started poking at my gums with needles and it was painful and horrible. I think he numbed it because after that it felt like he was tugging on my tooth trying to take it out and I was still awake and crying because it was so so so painful. I guess he noticed because he asked if I wanted to be put more to sleep (?) (something along those lines but of course I wanted to be knocked out) and he left and that's the last I remember.
I woke up groggy, being pushed in a wheelchair to my mom's car outside while it was sprinkling.
I remember everything from that moment but I was so out of it, I was aware of what I was doing but it's like I didn't really have control? I was a mess, and we stayed in the car for a while because we were waiting for the pharmacy to get the medications ready, so I had my sister put on my music but I think that made my headache 10x worse I ended up throwing up with that gauze in my mouth and so so much blood.
It was pretty painful after that but I think the pain killers they prescribed worked, but I also think they gave me really bad headaches and I wouldn't stop feeling nauseous. It was probably around the second or third day I stopped with the painkillers and the headaches were gone, and my gums started hurting again but not as bad as those headaches.
Also, eating sucked.

I also had a tumour removed from my femur when I was 16, it's the only surgery I've ever had thankfully. It was a chondroblastoma or something, normally they are malignant but I was lucky enough that mine was benign. It nearly shattered my hip joint entirely because it had worn the ball of the bone quite thin, but they removed it and replaced it with a metal pin and some bone graft to heal the gap. Actually the following year I was terrified in case it had returned, which was a possibility that they warned me of, since I started to feel pain while walking again, but after another operation they were able to see that there was nothing there, just that half of the pin was actually causing the discomfort instead, so they removed one part of it.

That was 7 years ago now, so my memory of it is a little foggy. The recovery period the first year really sucked because I was stuck in the hospital for a few days and I had to use crutches for a couple months afterwards. The second year was no where near as bad, I made sure I was back on my feet after a week because it was the summer time, and my long distance partner was visiting. Had to make the most of the time we had!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm sorry if I'm intrusive but was the spine surgery for scoliosis ?

Edit- sorry I read too fast, I just feel not so alone anymore with the scoliosis thing.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm pretty freaked out about it, I'm in no pain with it, but my sides are kind of caved in slightly and it's a minor curve but I feel like its a waiting game to see if I ever have to have surgery.

Yup! I had scoliosis. I had a thoracic curvature around 50 degrees and a lumbar curvature about 40 degrees, I was 13 and still growing so I was indeed a candidate for surgey.

Yup! I had scoliosis. I had a thoracic curvature around 50 degrees and a lumbar curvature about 40 degrees, I was 13 and still growing so I was indeed a candidate for surgey.

Sorry that it progressed so bad, I'm 17 and I know I'm still growing but I hope if it does it doesn't progress so much. It just really sucks knowing my spine isn't straight and this is one of the things I've never expected to happen to me. I've developed a habit of looking at other peoples backs because I envy how symmetrical and straight their backs look. I was recently diagnosed and I'm still coming to terms so I guess I've developed a super weird habit. I feel a little better hearing part of your scoliosis surgery. The pain must have been unbearable.

Yep, I had it on my leg back in 2013 so the growth could be adjusted with my other leg.
I was under anesthesia but I had a lot of pain afterward, and was in a wheelchair and eventually on crutches for a while in January that year.

Yup! When I was in 7th grade I had an eyelid infection (it was so gross) and they had to "suck out all of the bad stuff" that was trapped. I just remember being knocked out from anesthesia and waking up having to pee really bad lmao

Sorry that it progressed so bad, I'm 17 and I know I'm still growing but I hope if it does it doesn't progress so much. It just really sucks knowing my spine isn't straight and this is one of the things I've never expected to happen to me. I've developed a habit of looking at other peoples backs because I envy how symmetrical and straight their backs look. I was recently diagnosed and I'm still coming to terms so I guess I've developed a super weird habit. I feel a little better hearing part of your scoliosis surgery. The pain must have been unbearable.

Know that everyone has something going on, and you can't change it so embrace it.
I rarely think of my scoliosis...ever. In fact I'm usually reminded of it when someone points out the scar on my back and then it's like a "Oh yeah," moment for me.
I can do anything! I run, bike, go on rollercoasters, I have a very normal life like everyone else, and I don't suffer from back pain. My body adapted well with the rods. :)
The reason my recovery was so terrible was because at 13 I was naturally a very skinny and frail girl and my surgeon told me to put on weight prior but I couldn't so my body reacted pretty terribly to the anesthesia.

I had my tonsils removed like 15 or 16 years ago. I had my wisdom teeth removed in 2013 I think. I got a dry socket. It hurt so much that I couldn't sleep at night. I was working 40+ hours a week at that time (it was summer break) and it was miserable.

Truly miserable

I haven't yet I don't think, but I've gotten stitches before, and I'll probably be having top surgery within the next few years if all goes well.

Nope, never had surgery, but it's neat everything is pretty much endoscopic-ally now, my mom had quite a few surgeries that left her with gnarly scars.

Back