Would you like to be able to lock threads by yourself? (Excluding, VTP, Retail)

???

• Total voters

moonford

moon boi
Peach 🍑
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Ruby
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
White Cosmos
Leif
Yes, I could end arguments with ease. XD

I'm talking about the ability to be able to lock threads if you are the op.

Moderators can do it pretty quickly, but I see little reason to not be able to do it yourself, for your own threads, obviously.

Also, why is deleting threads, posts and accounts not a thing, except when they are inappropriate? I get that having content on here is important, but come on, that should be a basic privallege.

Moderators can do it pretty quickly, but I see little reason to not be able to do it yourself, for your own threads, obviously.

Also, why is deleting threads, posts and accounts not a thing, except when they are inappropriate? I get that having content on here is important, but come on, that should be a basic privallege.

I think the reason for this is because they want to have records of everything that was said.. At least that's what it sounded like when it was explained to me when I asked why you couldn't delete VM's on your profile. I'm guessing that's the same reason for why we can't delete our posts on forum threads. :/ I wish I could delete posts on my card trading thread though, to get rid of old posts. It's also a useful feature for people with shops that might want to delete all the fulfilled posts. Oh well, we are at the mercy of the site rules. :p

Probably because theres no real reason to delete a thread other than if they're inappropriate. Also if something happens in your thread, an argument/scam/etc, it stops people from deleting it and mods can access it (as easily as they should be able to)

i'd like to be able to delete threads, lock my own threads and actually have other people's threads deleted. For example, f it's a rude and hateful thread, it should just be deleted. i don't wanna keep seeing it, ya dig?

anyway, i rarely ever see accounts actually deleted by the mods.

Last edited:
Not speaking for the entire staff here, but at least in my view, I don't agree with self-locking (outside of trade) because it essentially says that the OP of a thread somehow "owns" the thread. I don't think as a thread creator you should have the ability to decide you want to shutdown a discussion that many users may be partaking in just because you may not like the discussion anymore. Discussion threads are for the entire community, not just for the creator. Whether a thread has gotten out of hand and needs to be shutdown is for the moderators to determine.

I don't see the reason why we can't do it ourselves, although usually that's an administrators/moderators role to do so. So not sure.

i'd like to be able to delete threads, lock my own threads and actually have other people's threads deleted. For example, f it's a rude and hateful thread, it should just be deleted. i don't wanna keep seeing it, ya dig?

anyway, i rarely ever see accounts actually deleted by the mods.

agree. especially, especially on your own profile. i had someone that was repeatedly verbally harassing and threatening me and i was told that i should just soft block and the threatening posts were merely hidden. doesn't inspire the greatest feeling of safety, tbh.

Last edited:

This is what the report button is for.

Also you can delete your VM's, and if you want to delete something that you've posted, you can just edit out whatever you said at any time.

I think the reason for this is because they want to have records of everything that was said.. At least that's what it sounded like when it was explained to me when I asked why you couldn't delete VM's on your profile. I'm guessing that's the same reason for why we can't delete our posts on forum threads. :/

Also if something happens in your thread, an argument/scam/etc, it stops people from deleting it and mods can access it (as easily as they should be able to)

I've never used VBulletin, but with MyBB you can set it so that when users delete posts and threads, they are just soft deleted and can still be accessed and restored by administators and probably moderators too.

It would be a good thing...
However, if we could close any threads, I feel a possibility of trolling being done.
Overall, it would be a mediocre thing to think about.

Not speaking for the entire staff here, but at least in my view, I don't agree with self-locking (outside of trade) because it essentially says that the OP of a thread somehow "owns" the thread. I don't think as a thread creator you should have the ability to decide you want to shutdown a discussion that many users may be partaking in just because you may not like the discussion anymore. Discussion threads are for the entire community, not just for the creator. Whether a thread has gotten out of hand and needs to be shutdown is for the moderators to determine.

Good point. Like in Brewster's Cafe, just because someone is the first person to post a thread about a topic doesn't mean that person gets to decide when to end the discussion on that topic. Someone else may want to discuss the same topic but can't create their own thread because it would be a duplicate, so they have no choice but to participate in another person's thread. So at that point, the thread should be "publicly" owned and shouldn't get locked unless it gets really toxic.

I'm strongly against it. If u post dumb **** and get called out you got no where to run and it should stay that way.

This is what the report button is for.

Also you can delete your VM's, and if you want to delete something that you've posted, you can just edit out whatever you said at any time.

Last time I tried deleting VMs to clear up my messages, it showed a huge "THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED BY FORESTYNE" that took up more space than the messages in question I tried to delete were. :(

Back