• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Metroid General Discussion/Thread

mondogecko9

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3850-5573-7122
Small Mailbox
Red Candy
Green Candy
Jingle Christmas Doll
Timmy Christmas Doll
White Violet
Jingle Christmas Doll
White Lily
Tasty Cake
Yellow Candy
I thought that since there wasn't one already, there needs to be a Metroid Thread!

Personally my favorite Nintendo franchise, ever since I played the Original on my dad's Wii, and I thought Samus's name was "Metroid" :)

Sadly, Metroid is the most popular in the West, and doesn't get as much attention from Nintendo, dispite Super Metroid being one of the best games of all time (No. 7 in IGN's "Best Games of All Time")

If this already exists, I will close the thread

I've been dying for a new Metroid for so long, if they ever announce one for the Switch then I'll buy that console in a heartbeat. I was really hoping and praying that there would at least be something on the Wii U but sadly not. The only one I haven't played is Federation Force, since I'm not overly interested in spin-offs and I was pretty upset that it's the only thing we've had in 6 years from the series. I've heard that gameplay wise it was fairly solid and a fun experience with friends, but I don't think I'm prepared to pay full price for it... Has anyone tried it? I'm genuinely curious to hear some opinions.

I just play Fusion and Zero Mission yearly. I need to play my Prime Trilogy at some point.

I've been dying for a new Metroid for so long, if they ever announce one for the Switch then I'll buy that console in a heartbeat. I was really hoping and praying that there would at least be something on the Wii U but sadly not. The only one I haven't played is Federation Force, since I'm not overly interested in spin-offs and I was pretty upset that it's the only thing we've had in 6 years from the series. I've heard that gameplay wise it was fairly solid and a fun experience with friends, but I don't think I'm prepared to pay full price for it... Has anyone tried it? I'm genuinely curious to hear some opinions.

Ahhhhh, I feel the same way. Federation Force was an amazing game, but Metroid Federation Force was not, if that makes sense lol Like, it had a lot going for it, trying to expand the story- Even the best ending has a cutscene with Sylux, (Prime Hunters) but considering the hate it got, it really was't "bad" more dissapointing than anything because the fans have waited for a new 2d or 3d Game for literal years for a 3d game, and a decade for a 2d one ;-;

Metroid (Japanese: メトロイド Hepburn: Metoroido?) is a science fiction action-adventure video game series created by Nintendo. The series is primarily produced by the company's first-party developers, although some installments were handled by other developers, including Fuse Games, Team Ninja, and Next Level Games.
The series chronicles the missions of space-faring bounty hunter Samus Aran, who protects the galaxy from the depredations of the Space Pirates and their attempts to harness the power of the eponymous Metroids. Metroid combines the platforming of Super Mario Bros. and the exploration aspect of The Legend of Zelda with a decidedly darker atmosphere and a greater emphasis on nonlinear gameplay.
The series consists of eleven games that were released on almost every Nintendo video game console. It is one of Nintendo's most successful franchises, and the games have received varying levels of critical acclaim. As of September 2012, the Metroid series sold over 17.44 million copies.[1] The series has been represented in other Nintendo media, including the Super Smash Bros. series. Additional media for the Metroid series has also been released, including soundtracks, comic books and manga adaptations.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Main article: List of Metroid media
The twelve games in the Metroid series focus on the adventures of Samus Aran and her assignments to wipe out threats to the Galactic Federation presented by the Space Pirates and their attempts to harness various biological weapons such as the Metroids and Phazon.
Metroid
Samus travels through the caverns of the planet Zebes to stop the Space Pirates from exploiting the parasitic organisms known as Metroids for galactic domination. She confronts the cybernetic lifeform Mother Brain, as well as its guardians, Kraid and Ridley.[5] It was released on the Nintendo Entertainment System, also known as the NES.[6]
Metroid II: Return of Samus
The Galactic Federation deems the Metroid species too dangerous to exist, and after their own failed attempts, employs Samus to travel to the Metroid homeworld, SR388, and exterminate the entire species. After killing every Metroid (among them Alpha, Gamma, Zeta, and Omega Metroids) and the Queen Metroid, Samus finds an unhatched egg behind the Queen Metroid's chamber. Before Samus fires on the Metroid egg, an infant Metroid hatches and believes Samus to be its mother. After it helps her escape back to her ship, Samus hands the hatchling over to the Ceres research station for study.[5] It was released on the GameBoy, and is also playable on 3DS.[7]
Super Metroid
Just after she leaves, Samus receives a distress signal from the Ceres research lab. She returns just in time to catch Ridley stealing the hatchling, having killed all of the scientists. She follows Ridley to a rebuilt base on Zebes, where the Space Pirates are once again attempting to clone the Metroids and use them as weapons. Samus kills the reborn versions of Ridley and Kraid, as well as new guardians Phantoon and Draygon, then confronts Mother Brain once again.[4] Samus is nearly killed in the battle, but the Metroid hatchling, now having grown immensely, rescues her. Mother Brain kills it just after it restores Samus's energy,[5] and Samus in turn destroys Mother Brain with a supercharged weapon known as the Hyper Beam apparently left by the hatchling's death. She then escapes Zebes during a countdown that leads to the entire planet exploding, taking with it the few remaining cloned Metroids.[5] It was released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES), and said to be "one of the greatest games of all time" by IGN.[7]
Metroid Fusion
While acting as a bodyguard for researchers on the planet SR388, Samus is infected by a native creature known as the X Parasite, originally the prey of the Metroid species.[4] Doctors surgically remove portions of her armor and cure the X infection with a vaccine created from the DNA of the Metroid hatchling (Metroid II: Return of Samus).[4] The vaccine not only allows her to survive the parasites, but to absorb them to power up her energy and weapons. She is then sent to investigate a disturbance at the Biologic Space Labs research station, where it is revealed that specimens from SR388 had been carriers of the X parasite. An X mimicking Samus, nicknamed the SA-X, has taken control of Samus's old suit, methodically breaking into different parts of the station to allow the X parasites to infect the entire station.[5] While trying to destroy the rapidly multiplying X as well as clones of the SA-X, Samus discovers a secret Federation Metroid breeding program. Before Samus can react, the SA-X discovers the lab and triggers a security system that ejects it into space, killing the Metroids (as the X Parasite and Metroid are natural enemies). The Federation eventually shifts interest towards researching the X parasite, especially the SA-X's capabilities, and orders the shipboard computer to prevent Samus from destroying it. Samus then convinces the computer, whom she had nicknamed "Adam" after her former Commanding Officer, that the X pose a threat to galactic civilization, claiming that the arriving Federation troops will be overwhelmed by the multiple SA-X patrolling the ship. Adam, in a sudden change of heart, suggests that she alter the station's propulsion to intercept with SR388 to destroy the planet and wipe out both X populations.[4] After fighting one of the SA-X clones and changing the station's propulsion, Samus races back to her ship, where she encounters an Omega Metroid which seems to have escaped the laboratory breach. The SA-X returns and tries to kill the Metroid, since the ice-beam it has seems to be the only weapon able to damage it, but the SA-X is badly damaged in the battle. Samus absorbs the SA-X parasite to regain her suit's Energy, defeats the Omega Metroid and leaves the station before it collides with SR388.[4] It was released on the Game Boy Advance.[8]
Metroid Prime
Samus receives a distress signal in her new ship and travels to Tallon IV to stop the Space Pirates from exploiting a powerful radioactive substance known as Phazon. She discovers that the Chozo once settled on this planet, and their disappearance, as well as the emergence of Phazon, is due to a meteor impacting the planet decades ago. After ruining a Space Pirate mining operation and collecting the twelve Chozo Artifacts that allow access to the sealed impact crater, she confronts and defeats Ridley before delving deeper into the impact site and discovering Metroid Prime, a matured Metroid, mutated and corrupted by Phazon. Metroid Prime had been feeding off the Phazon Core of the meteor to increase in size and strength. During the final battle against Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime grabs and takes Samus's Phazon Suit from her. She flees the impact site and after the credits, there is a glimpse of a dark hand coming out of a pool of Phazon in the arena where Samus and Metroid Prime fought. It is implied that this hand is Dark Samus in the future games and that Metroid Prime by taking Samus's suit becomes Dark Samus.[4] It was released on the GameCube[9] and is the first of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.
Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid: Zero Mission is an enhanced remake of the original Metroid designed to retell the game's story. It has an addendum to the original storyline: After defeating Mother Brain, Samus is ambushed by Space Pirates and her ship crash-lands back on the surface. With her ship and arsenal destroyed and armed with only an emergency pistol, she is forced to infiltrate the Space Pirate mothership to find a way off the planet. She finds ancient Chozo armor more powerful than her original while deep within Chozo ruins, then goes on to defeat the Ridley Robot and escapes from the mothership before it self-destructs.[4][10] It was originally released on the Game Boy Advance,[11] and a version was released for the Wii U Virtual Console.[12]
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Samus is sent to investigate the planet Aether after a squad of GF Marines was lost there. Samus finds them all dead, killed by several creatures, mostly by an evil race called the Ing. The Ing possess life forms, transforming them into monstrous "dark" versions of their former selves to wage war with Aether's dominant race, the Luminoth. Upon meeting the only remaining member of Luminoth (the others are frozen in stasis chambers, awaiting the destruction of the Ing), Samus learns Aether has been split into two dimensions by a meteor similar to the one that crashed on Tallon IV. Samus agrees to assist by recovering Aether's planetary energy (the "Light of Aether") from Dark Aether. She does this by going to Dark Aether and absorbing the energy into her suit, then placing the energy back into the Energy Controllers on Light Aether. By completing this task, she destroys Dark Aether and the Ing that inhabit it. The final boss fights consist of one against the Emperor Ing and Dark Samus. Dark Samus vaporizes in front of Samus's eyes, but as she flees, Dark Samus is shown to reform in outer space.[4] It was released on the GameCube in 2004.[13]
Metroid Prime Pinball
Metroid Prime Pinball is a pinball version of Metroid Prime, following the same storyline and has similar gameplay elements; however, it is just presented through pinball format rather than as a first-person adventure.[14]
Metroid Prime Hunters
When the Federation receives an unusual telepathic message regarding an "Ultimate Power," Samus is sent to the remote Alimbic Cluster in the Tetra Galaxy to investigate and secure it. Others have also received the message, and six rival bounty hunters arrive with similar intent. When all parties arrive at the source of the transmission, it is revealed that the message was a false lure sent by an ancient creature known as Gorea, who intended to manipulate visitors into releasing it from a void between dimensions. Upon this revelation, Gorea attacks and syphons the energy from the other hunters, allowing it to commandeer their weapons. After killing Gorea, Samus and the other hunters escape the cluster, empty handed, but alive.[4] It was released on the handheld Nintendo DS in 2006.[15] It was also the first game that many played on the DS since, at its original release in some regions, the console came bundled with a game card entitled Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, a demo of the game.
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Samus, along with bounty hunters Rundas, Ghor, and Gandrayda, are brought together in a ship over Norion to discuss a Space Pirate infection sweeping the Galactic Federation supercomputer network, one composed of organic Aurora Unit systems. Having this network shut down allows for the Pirates to engage in large scale combat in an attempt to further spread Phazon. As a battle erupts on Norion's surface, enormous Phazon-based seedships, called Leviathans, also begin to rain from the sky onto planets in order to begin corrupting them with Phazon. After a skirmish with Dark Samus which left her asleep for a month, Samus is charged with destroying these "Phazon Seeds" and restoring functionality to the Federation's computer network, as the other three hunters have mysteriously cut all contact during their missions. Samus is told that after the battle on Norion, her body gained the capability to self-generating non-hazardous Phazon, allowing for her to enter a "Hypermode" attack frenzy with her suit's PED (Phazon Enhancement Device). After purging three planets of Phazon (including a Space Pirate homeworld), the Federation locates the source of Phazon - planet Phaaze - which is made entirely of Phazon. As the Federation engages the Space Pirates in orbit, Samus enters the depths of the planet and succeeds in destroying Dark Samus and Phaaze, rendering all Phazon in the galaxy inert and cleansing her body from its corruption. A ship is seen following her into Warp Space at the end.[16] It is the final game of the Metroid Prime trilogy, and was released for the Wii console.[17]
Metroid: Other M
Samus receives a distress signal and follows it to a mysterious vessel named the Bottle Ship. There, she encounters a squad of Galactic Federation soldiers, including her friend Anthony Higgs and her former superior officer Adam Malkovich. They find out that the director of the ship, Madeline Bergman, has been conducting research on illegal bioweapons for the Federation. Eventually, Samus finds a survivor who claims to be Madeline Bergman, but is later revealed to be an android with an artificial intelligence duplicating that of Mother Brain, so that the bioweapon Metroids can be telepathically controlled.[18] The Federation soldiers are mysteriously killed by a secret assassin among their ranks. Samus refers to this assassin as "the Deleter". His or her identity is never explicitly revealed in-game, but the Deleter is thought to be James Pierce for a few evidential reasons.[19] Samus later discovers that these weapons are Metroids that have been genetically modified to remove their weakness to cold, making them virtually indestructible. Adam sacrifices himself to detach Sector Zero, the Metroid breeding area, from the main ship and activate its self-destruct sequence. After defeating a Queen Metroid, Samus finds the real Madeline Bergman, who tells her the truth about the android she found earlier. The artificial intelligence, named MB, took on a human shape to build an ideal relationship with the Metroids, similar to the one Samus had with the Metroid hatchling (Super Metroid). After developing emotions, MB revolted, telepathically ordering the cloned Zebesian life forms on the ship to attack their captors. MB appears and attacks Samus and Madeline, but is stopped when Galactic Federation reinforcements show up, led by Anthony, the only surviving member of the original squad. Samus, Anthony and Madeline all escape on Samus's gunship. In an optional epilogue, Samus returns to retrieve "something irreplaceable:" Adam's helmet.[18]
Metroid Prime: Federation Force
Announced at E3 2015, Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a spin off of the Metroid Prime series. The game is a 4 player co-op game focusing on missions. It also features a mode called Metroid Prime: Blast Ball

I'm a HUGE Metroid fan and I've been dying for a new game since I finished playing the Prime Trilogy I bought from Wii U eshop when it became available, my favourites are Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion (my first ever Metroid game) and Super Metroid. I've played every game in the series except for the original on the NES (played zero mission instead), Metroid 2 (played AM2R instead) and the spin offs (hunters, pin ball and federation force). if you ask me about difficulty I think Fusion is probably the easiest and Prime 2 Echos the hardest. my excitement for the new console made me go back and replay some of the games because I have faith that they'll make a new game for it :eek:

I'm a HUGE Metroid fan and I've been dying for a new game since I finished playing the Prime Trilogy I bought from Wii U eshop when it became available, my favourites are Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion (my first ever Metroid game) and Super Metroid. I've played every game in the series except for the original on the NES (played zero mission instead), Metroid 2 (played AM2R instead) and the spin offs (hunters, pin ball and federation force). if you ask me about difficulty I think Fusion is probably the easiest and Prime 2 Echos the hardest. my excitement for the new console made me go back and replay some of the games because I have faith that they'll make a new game for it :eek:

I totally agree with MP2 being the hardest, I tried it recently, and died within minutes XD

Oh, I just love Metroid! Especially the 2D ones, but the Prime games were really great too.

Metroid (NES): The first game in the series is a game that I want to like more than I actually do. The lack of a map and ability to save plus how difficult the game is doesn't make for an enjoyable experiance. I've beat it legit once though but I don't think I'm gonna do it again any time soon. Zero Mission is a much better alternative since it's basically a remake of the original with more up to date gameplay.
Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB): My brother has this game and I've played through it once. I don't remember if I actually beat the end boss (it was hard!). It was pretty good for being on the Game Boy. I've got AM2R on my gf's laptop but I'm gonna need a proper controller before I play it.
Super Metroid (SNES): Ah~ My favorite game of all time. Still the pinnacle of this subgenre.
Metroid Fusion (GBA): Fusion was a bit more linear than the other Metroids but still an awesome game. I'm eagerly awaiting a sequel. The way the game ended there HAS to be a sequel. Although, there's been 15 years since it's release so I guess chances for that to happen now are pretty slim.
Metroid Zero Mission (GBA): I recommend this one over the original for NES any day. I love how they added some story after Mother Brain. Great game.
Metroid Prime (GC): I really loved this one when it was released. Small details like the raindrops on Samus' visor just blew me away at the time. But now 15 years later, I kinda feel that it hasn't aged as well as the 2D games. Still one of the best in the franchise with some really epic boss fights.
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC): Pretty much the same as the first one but not as great. I have a really hard time beating some of the bosses in this game.
Metroid Prime Hunters (DS): Played through it once and it was, if not rubbish, at least not very memorable.

I haven't played Prime 3 (I never had a Wii or WiiU) but I hope to get the chance one day.

All in all, I love Metroid. It's one of Nintendo's best franchises and I hope they'll keep the series alive.

Ahhhhh, I feel the same way. Federation Force was an amazing game, but Metroid Federation Force was not, if that makes sense lol Like, it had a lot going for it, trying to expand the story- Even the best ending has a cutscene with Sylux, (Prime Hunters) but considering the hate it got, it really was't "bad" more dissapointing than anything because the fans have waited for a new 2d or 3d Game for literal years for a 3d game, and a decade for a 2d one ;-;

I've not had a chance to play it yet (I do actually want to), but I feel that opinions on Federation Force would have been at least a bit different if it had been released closer to the release of another 'real' Metroid game...Preferably after another Metroid, or at least with a 'real' Metroid announced.

It was essentially dead on arrival no matter how good it was due to the absence of any recent 'real' Metroid game.

Oh, I just love Metroid! Especially the 2D ones, but the Prime games were really great too.

Metroid (NES): The first game in the series is a game that I want to like more than I actually do. The lack of a map and ability to save plus how difficult the game is doesn't make for an enjoyable experiance. I've beat it legit once though but I don't think I'm gonna do it again any time soon. Zero Mission is a much better alternative since it's basically a remake of the original with more up to date gameplay.
Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB): My brother has this game and I've played through it once. I don't remember if I actually beat the end boss (it was hard!). It was pretty good for being on the Game Boy. I've got AM2R on my gf's laptop but I'm gonna need a proper controller before I play it.
Super Metroid (SNES): Ah~ My favorite game of all time. Still the pinnacle of this subgenre.
Metroid Fusion (GBA): Fusion was a bit more linear than the other Metroids but still an awesome game. I'm eagerly awaiting a sequel. The way the game ended there HAS to be a sequel. Although, there's been 15 years since it's release so I guess chances for that to happen now are pretty slim.
Metroid Zero Mission (GBA): I recommend this one over the original for NES any day. I love how they added some story after Mother Brain. Great game.
Metroid Prime (GC): I really loved this one when it was released. Small details like the raindrops on Samus' visor just blew me away at the time. But now 15 years later, I kinda feel that it hasn't aged as well as the 2D games. Still one of the best in the franchise with some really epic boss fights.
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC): Pretty much the same as the first one but not as great. I have a really hard time beating some of the bosses in this game.
Metroid Prime Hunters (DS): Played through it once and it was, if not rubbish, at least not very memorable.

I haven't played Prime 3 (I never had a Wii or WiiU) but I hope to get the chance one day.

All in all, I love Metroid. It's one of Nintendo's best franchises and I hope they'll keep the series alive.

I would say the Other M is at least worth a look as well in terms of the gameplay. Everybody rags on it because of the narrative, but that aside, the game itself is pretty good.

Love, love, love Metroid. So much. Probably the only first-person title Nintendo has made a success of.

I would say the Other M is at least worth a look as well in terms of the gameplay. Everybody rags on it because of the narrative, but that aside, the game itself is pretty good.

Yeah, Other M is pretty controversial, at least among the hardcore fans. I might just check it out some day (maybe).

Yeah, Other M is pretty controversial, at least among the hardcore fans. I might just check it out some day (maybe).

I have it, my uncle bought it MSRP 60$ and said it was "total s**t" He gave it to me for my birthday, and personally I think it's pretty good besides the plot :) Like, Samus is supposed to be a strong character. Not someone who has to ask permission from Adam, who she wasn't even working for at the time. Overall, good game, not as amazing as Super Metroid, but it's worth checking out if you buy a Wii XD

I have it, my uncle bought it MSRP 60$ and said it was "total s**t" He gave it to me for my birthday, and personally I think it's pretty good besides the plot :) Like, Samus is supposed to be a strong character. Not someone who has to ask permission from Adam, who she wasn't even working for at the time. Overall, good game, not as amazing as Super Metroid, but it's worth checking out if you buy a Wii XD

Yeah, I think the plot/story is usually what comes up when people "discuss" Other M. Don't think I seen too many complaints about the gameplay.

Yeah, I think the plot/story is usually what comes up when people "discuss" Other M. Don't think I seen too many complaints about the gameplay.

Yep, the gameplay is sorta 2.5D, Not quite there with the 2D games, but the FPS segments make it 3d, making it mostly 2D though

Yep, the gameplay is sorta 2.5D, Not quite there with the 2D games, but the FPS segments make it 3d, making it mostly 2D though

I'll be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay in Other M. It felt like it was almost taking the series back to its 2D roots, but updated for (what was) current gen gaming. I guess my only gripe was the first person missile perspective, but I think that was solely to cater to the Wii's point-and-shoot gimmick with the Wiimotes. It wasn't necessarily a bad addition, though I know a lot of people found it frustrating, but I don't think it meshed well with the rest of the gameplay. Overall I really liked the pacing of it and how difficult it could be; hard mode was a great challenge, it's essentially a forced 1% run, and I had an absolute blast playing through it. If the next Metroid game adopts similar gameplay with more traditional platforming aspects that the franchise is known for, then I think it could do really well. 2.5D is something that needs to be explored with Metroid a little more.

I'll agree the story has its issues, most notably the glaring plotholes and what seems to be poor translations, but other than that, I don't think it's nearly as bad as people like to say. I felt disappointed after it, yeah, but for the 8 or so hours it lasted it was alright.

If I had to give a favourite from the entire series though, I'd say... probably Zero Mission? That game gives me major nostalgia, and it is indeed a vast improvement over the NES original. I love Prime as well but I think I MIGHT prefer Prime 2 over it, I find the atmosphere in that game to be a little more engrossing, and I really enjoyed Dark Aether. Plus, Quadraxis! Man I love that boss.

Back