• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ever regret helping someone?

creamyy

Bells
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Leif
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Lobo
Pavé
Jack
Tasty Cake
Story Time:
My town is starting to really come together and I post quite often on my animal crossing instagram account showcasing this and this one time this guy messages me asking if I could help him with with getting lots of flowers, bushes and bamboo and I said sure. We arrange a time and I give him some of my leftover hybrids and bushes and a couple of bamboo shoots FOR FREE. As soon as I start placing them around his train station he's all like nooooo, I really like the way you have them in your town can you do that for my town as well? At this point i'm like, are you serious? Like you didn't tell me I was going to start landscaping your town :mad: but then i'm all like okay whatever, fine. I'll start placing them randomly all around your town. I run out of flowers and bushes and he's like can you time travel and get some more flowers and bushes? I thought I was just going to gift him this stuff and now i'm helping him do his town. It's 7am my time, I literally woke up early to help this guy starting from 7am to 9am and I haven't even eaten yet. So i'm like fine, I'll just do this and I'll be on my way. I help him out, he's happy, I get to eat my breakfast.

The next day he sees that i'm online and he messages me saying open up your gates i'm coming. I sigh already regretting helping this guy but I open up my gates. He freaking runs all over my town, talks to all my villagers. My town's path is basically a clover checkerboard so he asks me Do you have any more clovers that we could put all over my town together? He's starting to get annoying. When did I ever sign any kind of contract that said I was going to help you fully landscape your town? It took me forever to do my town and was I supposed to just help him? I told him no and that I had to go and change my settings so he can't see when I'm online. He continues to message me though, asking if I could help him expand and furnish his house but I don't reply.

He messages me again the next day like yo can you get me a bubble wand too? Seriously, I don't even have a bubble wand. This time I ignore him and we don't talk. The next day, I'm in class bored and I make another instagram post of my town. He messages me immediately, or more like spams me going hi. hi. hi. in seperate messages. He messages me saying open up. i'm coming to your town. and I tell him i'm not home, i'm not playing right now i'm at school. he asks me what time I'm going to be home and just ugh. I can't deal anymore. When I don't reply he's like okay, maybe tomorrow? Sorry, I helped you one time and I'd still like to be able to sleep in on my days off thank you.

Has anyone else had such a terrible experience helping someone out that you regret helping them in the first place?

You honestly should have just said no instead of letting him use you like that :( And then block him. You had no obligation to help that creep. I never had this kind of experience.. But sometimes I get annoyed when I help someone out and they aren't polite enough to say thank you or please, and I kinda regret offering to help. But it's not enough to put me off from helping people here. That's the great thing about these forums - there's a rating system. I would never trade with some random off of Instagram/Facebook, etc. That's where the trolls roam free. :(

Last edited:
He totally took advantage of you :( I'm sorry. Sometimes being the nice guy backfires, I'm sorry that happened to you!

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. If you like to play with people , I strongly suggest you using this forum.
I met great people on this forum, not only they helped me, but they barely asked me for anything in return. So I help others too, and I never had a bad experience. Even when I invite randoms to my town so they can get their sigs, everyone is super polite and I never felt uncomfortable. Like another person said, in this forum the wifi rating is a wonderful feature.
I hope you'll only get great experiences with others from now on!

That's not fair. Why would someone think that you can decorate their town for free?? It's very rude of them to ask so much of your town. I would tell him you need to decorate it yourself or check the boards for landscaping services. There are players that love to decorate towns.

Can you block him from you page so there are no more posts?

I've only had one problem when I left my gates opened for my online friends. All items were free at the train station. A person dropped by while I was on my other 3DS and took most of the items. Took all the baskets of perfect fruit that I left for others. It was sad and I removed them from my FC list. Yes it was free but it was rude to take most of the items.

Ugh, that's so crappy. Some people think you'll drop everything for them. That person sounds very entitled and really lazy. Please delete them from your FC Friends List and do not contact them in any way. Like everyone said, I recommend trading with people from here unless you really know the person on other sites. Don't feel bad about charging people; it's a service and it takes a long time to get towns looking good, even if you're only helping for a day. You're taking your free time to help others but people often forget that you have a life as well. Don't be afraid to put your foot down. :)

I've helped people out with landscaping their towns. Everyone I've helped out has been very sweet and appreciative. The trickiest part is figuring out time zones and when to host each other. My schedule can get very sporadic at times so nowadays I only wifi with people when I'm online and they happen to be online. =v=

I invited someone to a giveaway town I had. While they were taking the free items I saw a thread on tbt about how they had scammed someone earlier that day.

:/

i've never had anything this extreme (which sounds awful and you should absolutely feel entitled to tell him hell no and block him on everything tbh) but i did once trade with someone i thought was fine.

and then when i was over at his town to trade, he pressured me to add someone else, told me to go to their town (it error'd out so i couldn't anyway) but after like 20 minutes i had my gates open and he just came the flip in without asking (this person! that i just did a 2 second trade with, never! spoken with before!! like.... wth) and when i said, "uhm i'm doing a trade rn" was like "so???" and continued running around my town. so i said, "please leave now" and the guy was all huffy and then called me a "hacker" as he was leaving.

which is a, rude as hell to enter someone's town UNINVITED and call them anything lmfao and b. not true bc we literally didn't know each other whatsoever. i've unfriended and blocked them on here since then but it's always grated at me. and anyways the point is, this game should be utterly safe for people. not for people who feel entitled to other people's time or energy or towns.

Last edited:
I haven't been here long enough for anything like that to happen to me, but I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that, none of you deserve such awful treatment, thank god for wifi ratings.
Though no one has scammed me, there has been a weird experience from someone on this site asking me creepy questions...

I haven't had anything like this happen to me in Animal Crossing, but definitely the same kind of situations in other games. In your circumstance I probably would have wound up doing the same things, except maybe after awhile simply offer advice on how he can make his town on his own.

I felt bad for this kid that was getting picked on at Gamefaqs. I stuck up for him, which led to him wanting to be best friends through our games, which led to him wanting blue roses, hard to get furniture items, bells, etc, etc. I'm a giving person, so I would give him the items, but when he kept asking me for 10 million bells so he could buy Marshal, I had to delete him. My bells are earned. It took a long time catching bugs on CT to get 10 mill., which was about all I had. That was the last straw. Lol.

Wow. That boy has no manners whatsoever. I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. I haven't regretted helping someone yet, though.

Unfortunately, I only have one neighbor and she was so nice and patient with my questions and offered me to go to her town and take any of the flowers, fruits, etc. I think there should be a line though like between someone who is really curious and does not know the game well and there are those like this guy in your case who just wants everything done for him..
I would just say block him if you can..

Story Time:
My town is starting to really come together and I post quite often on my animal crossing instagram account showcasing this and this one time this guy messages me asking if I could help him with with getting lots of flowers, bushes and bamboo and I said sure. We arrange a time and I give him some of my leftover hybrids and bushes and a couple of bamboo shoots FOR FREE. As soon as I start placing them around his train station he's all like nooooo, I really like the way you have them in your town can you do that for my town as well? At this point i'm like, are you serious? Like you didn't tell me I was going to start landscaping your town :mad: but then i'm all like okay whatever, fine. I'll start placing them randomly all around your town. I run out of flowers and bushes and he's like can you time travel and get some more flowers and bushes? I thought I was just going to gift him this stuff and now i'm helping him do his town. It's 7am my time, I literally woke up early to help this guy starting from 7am to 9am and I haven't even eaten yet. So i'm like fine, I'll just do this and I'll be on my way. I help him out, he's happy, I get to eat my breakfast.

The next day he sees that i'm online and he messages me saying open up your gates i'm coming. I sigh already regretting helping this guy but I open up my gates. He freaking runs all over my town, talks to all my villagers. My town's path is basically a clover checkerboard so he asks me Do you have any more clovers that we could put all over my town together? He's starting to get annoying. When did I ever sign any kind of contract that said I was going to help you fully landscape your town? It took me forever to do my town and was I supposed to just help him? I told him no and that I had to go and change my settings so he can't see when I'm online. He continues to message me though, asking if I could help him expand and furnish his house but I don't reply.

He messages me again the next day like yo can you get me a bubble wand too? Seriously, I don't even have a bubble wand. This time I ignore him and we don't talk. The next day, I'm in class bored and I make another instagram post of my town. He messages me immediately, or more like spams me going hi. hi. hi. in seperate messages. He messages me saying open up. i'm coming to your town. and I tell him i'm not home, i'm not playing right now i'm at school. he asks me what time I'm going to be home and just ugh. I can't deal anymore. When I don't reply he's like okay, maybe tomorrow? Sorry, I helped you one time and I'd still like to be able to sleep in on my days off thank you.

Has anyone else had such a terrible experience helping someone out that you regret helping them in the first place?

wow i would be so thankful if someone helped me even a little bit with my town
so i cant imagine someone being so rude, i'm sorry that happened to you
people like that never learn, you shoulda told him off

I haven't had any regrets from helping someone in person (that is, directly in-game in either my town or theirs), thankfully. I'm very sorry that so many others have had negative experiences and/or people trying to take advantage of kindness.

What has made me regret helping people in the past is when I've taken a good chunk of my time to help someone out either by answering questions/giving suggestions or by making patterns, and the person responds with "bump." Like, seriously? If you don't like the advice or the design, you can say so. But just a one-word bump? Why would anyone else feel compelled to help after a non-response like that?

Another time--and thankfully, this has only happened once--I spent three hours making an intricate design for someone. Their response: "thanks"
Not even any punctuation. "Thank you!" would have been totally fine. That's a sentence, at least. But just "thanks"...that was really not cool. :p

Last edited:
I take my hat off to you (My mayors hat (I never wear them irl ^-^)) for putting up with that person for so long. Someone with as much generosity and kindness as you only deserves the best treatment, so it's truly horrifying to see someone like you be exploited like that :(

I've had a few experiences where people run off and buy stuff at my store which kinda gets on my nerves, but I've takes a LOT to annoy me so I brush it aside.

I hope in the future you never meet someone as inconsiderate as them.

All the best, nya ^-^

So sorry that happened, that really sucks. I suggest you just stick to helping people on TBT that way you can report them and give them a bad rating if they do anything!

What has made me regret helping people in the past is when I've taken a good chunk of my time to help someone out either by answering questions/giving suggestions or by making patterns, and the person responds with "bump." Like, seriously? If you don't like the advice or the design, you can say so. But just a one-word bump? Why would anyone else feel compelled to help after a non-response like that?

Another time--and thankfully, this has only happened once--I spent three hours making an intricate design for someone. Their response: "thanks"
Not even any punctuation. "Thank you!" would have been totally fine. That's a sentence, at least. But just "thanks"...that was really not cool. :p

I can honestly relate to this. Even a simple acknowledgement or words of appreciation will do. If someone really made an effort to help me, the least I could probably say is like "aww, thank you for the time!" (I know myself and sure that I would still go on talking and thanking the person haha). I wouldn't ignore or just say one word or "ty". It makes me lose interest and not go the extra mile to help this kind of people.

This is why I don't do trades or let strangers into my town. I'd hate it if someone went to my town, trampled on some of my flowers before realising that I had a ton of flowers and then they say "OGM CANZ I HAZ UR FLOWERZ IN MAH TOWN PL0X?!?!?!1one". Then I say "No." and they just continue to trample on my flowers and do other annoying stuff. That hasn't happened to me (yet) but it's still a reason why I mostly like to play solo.

Back