• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Path layout

Barbara

Bells
New Horizons Token
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Jingle Christmas Doll
Isabelle
New Leaf Token
Chao Easter Egg
Flea
White Violet
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
White Pansy
Hi! I've been reconsidering my path layout and I would like suggestions on how I should lay out my paths. My layout is below, I've removed villager houses and bridges as they are outdated and changable.
9AMp3TF.jpg

Please, if you could spare a little time and draw paths on my map, I'd greatly appreciate it!

PS: I'll give out some bells to the most helpful people

First of all: I won't promise you I'm a big star when it comes to planning out paths. I usually just wing it when it comes to paths in my own towns, but I've learned a thing or two in the years I've played the game. So I decided to just quickly try to come up with a path for you.

path layout.jpg

I wasn't sure about connecting the campsite with paths, but since I don't know what you're planning to do with it, I decided to include it anyway. I myself would make it like a little forest, but it's your town. This is just a vague sketch of what you could let it be. It's all up to you and remember: paths can always be changed.

i drew the paths on your town a bit sloppily, sorry! vv.

9AMp3TF.jpg

i decided you rather needed two types of paths - more natural feeling and a less natural feeling. pink is to show a patterned path, and green is to show a naturey path, with clovers or the like. these two types of path will help ease your town's tricky to navigate pwps and building locations ;;;

a.jpg

the second bridge on the plaza side, leading to the campsite could go, and you could have a bridge here instead, which would ease your access to your town, but remove some possible villager house space.

it's a tricky one to call, but good luck!! <33

i decided you rather needed two types of paths - more natural feeling and a less natural feeling. pink is to show a patterned path, and green is to show a naturey path, with clovers or the like. these two types of path will help ease your town's tricky to navigate pwps and building locations ;;;

I like that idea - I actually already have a main- and side path that match pretty well, one being a 2-wide path and the other being of the stepping stone kind. So I could possibly use the stepping stones for the natural type, I think that would look nice to villager houses and the campsite for sure. :)

that's a great idea!

How would you suggest changing the path when moving that bridge (coming from the plaza, going to the campsite)? I'm not sure how I'd do that, as I already have the windmill with a tulip field around it in the river's bend (upper right of Re-Tail). I don't really want my villagers in specific spots, so that's not much of an issue.

- - - Post Merge - - -

By the way, I'd really appreciate a few more suggestions! I'm still struggling with this quite a bit. :p Different points of view really help to figure it all out, especially since I'm so indecisive and I tend to clutter everything together, making it a huge mess. :s

Last edited:
How would you suggest changing the path when moving that bridge (coming from the plaza, going to the campsite)? I'm not sure how I'd do that, as I already have the windmill with a tulip field around it in the river's bend (upper right of Re-Tail).

i'd suggest in that case to have a diagonal bridge over the corner, and a natural winding path with bushes on the edges dictating the way.

i did three different version bc i love doing this stuff ha

here's a whimsical, more winding version that might make you able to play on that clutter, make it look like the design, with spaces for houses and other pwp built in.

oPNCpUe.png

here's a more outlandish, unique version that takes advantage of the particular map layout and plays on the idea of the campground being the center of town.

cTiSt5c.png

here's a utterly simplified, least-amount-of-paths version that might require some precise handling, but could also look very streamlined and create more space in town.

79ImVF7.png

i also agree and believe in any case, the lack of usable space in the town means you should do a 2x path and then a smaller 1x path.

i did three different version bc i love doing this stuff ha

here's a whimsical, more winding version that might make you able to play on that clutter, make it look like the design, with spaces for houses and other pwp built in.

oPNCpUe.png

here's a more outlandish, unique version that takes advantage of the particular map layout and plays on the idea of the campground being the center of town.

cTiSt5c.png

here's a utterly simplified, least-amount-of-paths version that might require some precise handling, but could also look very streamlined and create more space in town.

79ImVF7.png

i also agree and believe in any case, the lack of usable space in the town means you should do a 2x path and then a smaller 1x path.

Thanks for providing multiple options! :blush:

There are so many possibilities... and I don't know what to do now. xD I'm really one for making things easily accessible, but doing so may make things ugly and pushed together. I'll consider everything and try things out, unfortunately I'll have to destroy some of my town's areas for that, but I guess it's part of the process. I should've completely figured out my path layout before even starting landscaping, looking back. :lemon:
I'm still open to suggestions, if you feel like helping. ^^

Last edited:
np. and yeah i would say it probably will take some destroying. when i redid my paths from the ground up, i changed basically everything and had to do away with all of mine too.

help in what way, do you mean?

IMG_20170219_200128.jpg

I just drew this off the top of my head on my phone and it looks a lot like the last one in the series of photos dino posted. If that helps knowing it's the first easy path two people came up with lol. Good luck on pathing it's difficult :/

Going to add dont feel like you have to destroy areas to have paths a really set way. You can mix diffrent ideas you can work around and integrate paths into areas sometimes. Sometimes being more flexible and creative works best.
Also remember how often you use a path. How often do you go to around Retail? A ton so make that more functional than you might want to with say the camp ground. Just putting all that out there. :)

Last edited:
3bw49gp.png

I did a simple one, just trying to connect everything as easily as possible. I love planning paths! The brown bit near the campsite I feel should be like a tree tunnel or dirt path.

With the way I've done your path though I don't know really where the villagers would go without it looking weird so I did a second one for the villager house to be included...
w3kK3f2.png

The red/blue are two different path options for those areas, and the one red path is if you wanted to put villagers there, all the green circles are good places I think for villagers houses. =] I think this leaves a lot of nice open space for PWP's as well.

Okay, I've been thinking about it for a bit and I've tried some things out. Using your suggestions, I came to this path layout:
vSUPIxl.jpg

The blue lines are main path, the green ones are natural/stepping stone-like paths.
I'm still a bit unsure about the circled areas in the picture below, though.
nlIYQrv.jpg

- I don't like the way you have to make a corner to the right when coming from the plaza to the town hall. I could change that by extending the path upwards, and making that corner later, but then the path doesn't lead right to the town hall's entry and I don't like the way of going to the town hall from my house. Any suggestions?
- The way the natural path leads upwards from the main path, over a bridge, passing by the campsite. Coming from Re-Tail, you're going down, right, then up again. I could make a straight horizontal path from Re-Tail to that bridge, but the path on the left of Re-Tail (above the pond) wouldn't continue straight to the bridge. It'd have to go down two spaces, and it'd look a bit weird. Should I keep it a tad bit inconvenient to make it look better (and possibly have more space)?
- The space to the right of the station - I would like a quicker way from the town hall/police station to the station (and the other way around); that path would probably reach the train station on that side. I don't want to take up a lot of space for an extra path, and I'm not sure how to place it (what route to take from where). Maybe a small natural path is an idea, but it'd still take up space and possibly cut an area for pwps in half. What should I do with this?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!

Last edited:
Is there anyone willing to help with those areas? You don't need to have helped before, I'm just struggling with those particular areas and I'd like some opinions. I don't know, maybe I should create a new thread, but at the same time, this is an extension of the prior.

- I don't like the way you have to make a corner to the right when coming from the plaza to the town hall. I could change that by extending the path upwards, and making that corner later, but then the path doesn't lead right to the town hall's entry and I don't like the way of going to the town hall from my house. Any suggestions?

if i'm understanding right, you want a straight path from the plaza to the town hall, not going by your house? the only way i see this as possible is if you extend the bottom horizontal main path right above your house to the plaza, and do a line direct from the top of the plaza to the town hall, but that's contingent on a bridge being able to be built exactly in that one spot. not a lot of leeway, bc that's where the lake is.

- The way the natural path leads upwards from the main path, over a bridge, passing by the campsite. Coming from Re-Tail, you're going down, right, then up again. I could make a straight horizontal path from Re-Tail to that bridge, but the path on the left of Re-Tail (above the pond) wouldn't continue straight to the bridge. It'd have to go down two spaces, and it'd look a bit weird. Should I keep it a tad bit inconvenient to make it look better (and possibly have more space)?

i mean, i think it works okay as is, but i have diagonal paths AND winding, sorta topsy-turvy paths in my town, so i'm a bit biased as to what can be done or shouldn't be done w corners, aka, i think everything is okay.

if it really bothers you, i might suggest trying to move the vertical path on the left down all the way between the pond and the cafe, to going right below the pond to continuing right and then up to the other bridge. you'd have to have an offshoot to retail, but unfortunately, that pond just isn't extremely workable.

- The space to the right of the station - I would like a quicker way from the town hall/police station to the station (and the other way around); that path would probably reach the train station on that side. I don't want to take up a lot of space for an extra path, and I'm not sure how to place it (what route to take from where). Maybe a small natural path is an idea, but it'd still take up space and possibly cut an area for pwps in half. What should I do with this?

you could do a path that goes in between the police station and a pond back to the fence line at the top edge of the map and then go directly left? you can't use that square anyway and it might be a cool thing you could hide with trees. dunno how much travel time it cuts down though.

hope that helped a bit! it's a bit hard to tell what exactly works and doesn't bc maps don't show the 2 squares off kind of thing

Erhm. This was confusing written out and I'm tired but my general advice if it helps...
*for the town hall Id move the part branching off the path by the police station up
*The two spaces different problem...I'd do go for more convient. I had this problem a while ago. Drove me nuts till I fixed it over time. It was a main path though.
*wanting a better trainstaion police station path. Make it a single square path maybe. All I can think is making a path from the lake left of the police station to the tracks.

Sorry again if this wasn't much help

- - - Post Merge - - -

Do you have your paths picked out?
It could help with planning.
I'm kind of picky and only like one type of path in town but the sub paths is really cool :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also sorry for the sort of late reply I would've helped earlier but I was repathing my whole town because I wanted a path with 9 spaces not 3 uhg. Redoing paths takes forever so good job asking for help :)

Okay, I've been thinking about it for a bit and I've tried some things out. Using your suggestions, I came to this path layout:
vSUPIxl.jpg

The blue lines are main path, the green ones are natural/stepping stone-like paths.
I'm still a bit unsure about the circled areas in the picture below, though.
nlIYQrv.jpg

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help!

Because of the river bowing outwards in-between where your town hall and plaza are located at BEST you could have your path, because you'll have to place a bridge, is leading from the plaza to maybe one/two spaces over from the entrance, which is a lot better than making the turn and such which was your problem, if I understood correctly.

As for the bridge from the campsite I do think it'd be better to have the straight path from the bridge to retail even if it's a space or two below the entrance it would make it more accessible instead of the twisty turny thing, but then to add on the beach entrance and attach the Cafe to the main path would make it a bit more awkward.

For your house to the Town Hall it's always going to require a turn, the path you've proposed is the quickest possible route in my opinion, even if you have to turn it's the cleanest straightest way there.

For the Station to the Police and Town Hall that's a bit more iffy, because there's a pond there and everything there's really no easy access route from there...

Here is my proposed path layout with the adjustments you were looking for, in the simplest cleanest way I could make them.
KJyOcrs.png

Not sure how to connect the path from the town hall to the blue house but besides that I think everything else seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Back