• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Things you regret buying?

It *was* advertised as a remake, and it is, begrudgingly for me to state, a remake. It most certainly does not look like one... However, when one does a screenshot to screenshot comparison, you will see that the environments are actually remade. That's the most painful part of this, actually. They remade everything to resemble the N64 version. The environments are all just as blocky as ever and look like they were never actually remade, but they were. I can not understand why a company would go through so much effort just to make it look like no effort was put in whatsoever.

But a direct quote from the back of the box says, "Experience Link's greatest adventure remastered in glorious 3D!" A remake is rebuilding the entire game up with entirely different coding, and that is not what they did. They ported over the coding from the N64 version, and changed it a bit to look nicer and updated, but ultimately, its skeleton is the N64 version. A remake would be something like Final Fantasy VII.. Completely different coding and play style. It's very obvious that OOT 3D is not built from scratch from the ground up.

As for music, I'm a little confused as to what you want? You want them to change the music entirely for each game? Or just re-record with better quality? (I apologise, I'm not very technical with musical terms, lol)

These are just my opinions. I don't expect you to like the game or agree with me, but I do have to say that it is a remaster, and not a remake. That's really my main point. :)

Tomodachi Life. I barely touch it, what a waste :(.

I was actually really interested in that game :( It seemed popular enough, but after watching a few Let's Plays on YouTube, I just couldn't see the appeal. So I see why you'd see it as a waste.

But a direct quote from the back of the box says, "Experience Link's greatest adventure remastered in glorious 3D!" A remake is rebuilding the entire game up with entirely different coding, and that is not what they did. They ported over the coding from the N64 version, and changed it a bit to look nicer and updated, but ultimately, its skeleton is the N64 version. A remake would be something like Final Fantasy VII.. Completely different coding and play style. It's very obvious that OOT 3D is not built from scratch from the ground up.

Except it actually is a remake. I wish I had the side by side to show you that I saw that convinced me. But you can see carefully that the environments are sculpted differently, and scaled differently. Still, you have to have comparison shots to even begin to be able to see this, noting how pathetic this remake is.

I hate calling it a remake so much, trust me.

As for music, I'm a little confused as to what you want? You want them to change the music entirely for each game? Or just re-record with better quality? (I apologise, I'm not very technical with musical terms, lol)

OSTs can be remade.

They can be remade with real instruments replacing MIDI like Kingdom Hearts has done (my favorite. They should have done this with TPHD. Seriously):

Original:

Remade:

Or just simply remade still using computerized soundfonts.

Original:

Remade:

If you'll notice in these examples, they don't dramatically alter it, they just remake it. The feel is still the same, but it's remade, and obviously so.

Now I even have an example of how OOT3D could have done it, with Brawl's remake of the Hyrule Field theme.

Original:

Brawl (Remade) version:

The Brawl remake keeps the feel of the original exceptionally well, but it is completely remade. This is what they should have done with OOT3D and MM3D. No excuses.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you even started this discussion if you're going to go "Oh well, it's all opinions." I think that's what this topic is about... Posting opinions of what we felt was a waste of money. And OOT3D was most certainly something I felt was a waste of my money. I believe I have justified myself, which I really shouldn't have to do to begin with.

Last edited:
Except it actually is a remake. I wish I had the side by side to show you that I saw that convinced me. But you can see carefully that the environments are sculpted differently, and scaled differently. Still, you have to have comparison shots to even begin to be able to see this, noting how pathetic this remake is.

I hate calling it a remake so much, trust me.

OSTs can be remade.

They can be remade with real instruments replacing MIDI like Kingdom Hearts has done (my favorite. They should have done this with TPHD. Seriously):

Original:

Remade:

Or just simply remade still using computerized soundfonts.

Original:

Remade:

If you'll notice in these examples, they don't dramatically alter it, they just remake it. The feel is still the same, but it's remade, and obviously so.

Now I even have an example of how OOT3D could have done it, with Brawl's remake of the Hyrule Field theme.

Original:

Brawl (Remade) version:

The Brawl remake keeps the feel of the original exceptionally well, but it is completely remade. This is what they should have done with OOT3D and MM3D. No excuses.

To be honest, I'm not sure why you even started this discussion if you're going to go "Oh well, it's all opinions." I think that's what this topic is about... Posting opinions of what we felt was a waste of money. And OOT3D was most certainly something I felt was a waste of my money. I believe I have justified myself, which I really shouldn't have to do to begin with.

Hmm, I don't see why you are offended by me stating that this is my opinion. I said that in particular because I wasn't saying I was 100% right, and you were wrong, but just that this was my opinion and I'm not trying to change the fact that you didn't like it. I started this discussion because we had differing views, and I thought it would be interesting to debate/argue our points.. But it seems as though you're just mad about it. Lol. I was interested in your views until that last paragraph where you just seem bitter about me discussing this so I'll just let you be. :p

Last edited:
Hmm, I don't see why you are offended by me stating that this is my opinion. I said that in particular because I wasn't saying I was 100% right, and you were wrong, but just that this was my opinion and I'm not trying to change the fact that you didn't like it. I started this discussion because we had differing views, and I thought it would be interesting to debate/argue our points.. But it seems as though you're just mad about it. Lol. I was interested in your views until that last paragraph where you just seem bitter about me discussing this so I'll just let you be. :p

Oh, I'm not mad. That was just my not-so-crafty way of trying to steer away from this argument in this topic, because I feel like I've taken it too far in a topic that's not really about that and should just stop. Of course, I horribly tried to shift the blame on someone else because I'm a terrible person and could not just simply express this before.

I have no idea why I did that. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
one direction albums
not that they're bad but i don't even listen to them anymore so they're just hiding somewhere in my room.. i should prob sell them or something

cough.. I regret putting over 2.000$ into a mmo, when I couldnt bought a new pc with that money
granted it wasnt like over a month or whatever, it was over like 2-3years

Last edited:
I don't usually regret any purchases...But Tamodachi Life was the biggest pile of pure utter **** I have ever laid my eyes upon. Even the bottom of the barrel crap on Steam doesn't seem that bad, because at least they don't have a name like Nintendo to back them up.

Both Nintendo and some youtube channels (that now I feel may have been paid off) made it seem like there was way more to it than. I would honestly have rather just burnt the ?40 than bought that crap.

It's not often I regret a purchase. To this day, the only thing I can really think of was Ocarina of Time 3D. Money was limited (as it is for me now) and I wanted a 3DS game. It was the only 3DS game of interest at the time (June 2011). I thought it would be cool to have a remake of one of my favorite games on a handheld. I was wrong, the game was so lazy. Somehow it is actually remade, but it doesn't for even one second look like it. It looks like a remastered port with new textures and a new model here and there. It doesn't feel even .1% different from the original OOT and did absolutely nothing different, absolutely nothing to bring the game into 2011. Plus, they didn't even remake the music - a trend that has very pathetically carried on with all Zelda remakes and remastered ports.

I feel like they relied too much on that little novelty development anecdote of "we literally rebuilt the game" as though that was enough to warrant throwing ?40 at the thing. I don't care that they did that, seems pretty friggin' pointless actually...Square did that with Kingdom Hearts 1, but they still called it a remaster.

I didn't really care whether they rebuilt the game, built a new game or literally just ported the code from the original game: if they weren't going to take advantage of it being a "remake" and 're-imagine' some questionable stuff from the original to make it better, such as that god awful Garudo Valley """""""""""stealth"""""""""" section, why bother 'remaking' it in the first place?

They should have just called it a remaster. It's actually pretty good in terms of a remaster.

Last edited:
I regret buying decor for my room and if course random impulse buys. I'm a minimalist and I'm also a horder, I like things being plain and simple but then I obsess over little details and buy things that fit my needs until said room is filled with things I don't need or want. Why. Am. I. Like. This.

I'm an impulse buyer because of my ADHD lol. I have very unhealthy spending habits and don't know how to save up (although I have saved up for a PS4 and bought it with my own money). So all things considered, I regret so many things that I've bought. Maybe all the amiibo I bought. HUGE waste.

I regret buying all the Sims 3 expansions I bought, I was so mad when Pets didn't work(all the animals are stretched out and deformed) but if I had looked it up I would have seen how common that game is to be glitchy, I JUST WANTED HELLA SNAKES AND BIRDS, and a few of the other expansions I got are kind of really dumb and I never use them, like Dragon Valley and Island Life (which I bought for the mermaids but I played for a while and never saw one, plus the water made everything glitchy and slow.) But even after regretting those expansions and not playing them, I still look at the expansions I don't have and want them, but now there's Sims 4 as well, and all it's expansions... So obsessed. But even if I don't play all the time I will legit start it up and play for a day straight sometimes, so it's kind of worth it as a whole... idk.

I don't really think about this a lot so it isn't a big loss to me, but some in app purchases I made on several iPad games. I didn't spend much money... maybe like $10 but I still felt like that is a waste to buy on virtual items

I don't really think about this a lot so it isn't a big loss to me, but some in app purchases I made on several iPad games. I didn't spend much money... maybe like $10 but I still felt like that is a waste to buy on virtual items

Same. I do this every so often and I always regret it.

All of my anime figures that I bought from the ages of 15-17. They were cute at the time and nice to collect but now that I'm a little older and not really into anime it feels like a waste. :')

Last edited:
I regret buying all the Sims 3 expansions I bought, I was so mad when Pets didn't work(all the animals are stretched out and deformed) but if I had looked it up I would have seen how common that game is to be glitchy, I JUST WANTED HELLA SNAKES AND BIRDS, and a few of the other expansions I got are kind of really dumb and I never use them, like Dragon Valley and Island Life (which I bought for the mermaids but I played for a while and never saw one, plus the water made everything glitchy and slow.) But even after regretting those expansions and not playing them, I still look at the expansions I don't have and want them, but now there's Sims 4 as well, and all it's expansions... So obsessed. But even if I don't play all the time I will legit start it up and play for a day straight sometimes, so it's kind of worth it as a whole... idk.

If you can get a PC that can run it properly, The Sims 3 is a fun game, the Expansion Packs are worth it (at a discounted price, like DO NOT buy Generations for more than $10), and it is a much more fun game than The Sims 4 could ever be.

I mean, The Sims 3 has problems, but The Sims 4 flat out isn't a good game. EA slopped it together, not really bringing anything new to the table... And for a game that wants you to spend hundreds of dollars on extra content, it just isn't worth it. I've been playing since The Sims 1, and I'm worn out. Too much money spent.

Last edited:
Back