• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Critique My Dream Town!

BeatlesFan789

Bells
Switch
2417-2805-0314
Hi, tbt!

I think this is in a better thread now.

I've been putting a lot of work into planning my new town, Rainier. There's still a lot left to do and I've been planning in-game and on paper and it's going to my liking so far! It's a semimodern/normal themed town to give it a theme, and I have a few more areas I still need to figure out what to do with. I have most of my dream villagers and just have to move out Melba. My house looks a little funky, much work left to do on that!

Let me know what you think! Areas you like, areas I could improve, etc. Feel free to share your dream addresses as well. Mine is in my sig :)

right. this'll be the first dream town i have ever been to post-update, so let's see..

first off, a very pretty town name. i appreciate slightly more unique town names like this one c: plus, with my mayor named storm, he fits right in!!

i'll write my thoughts as i walk round the town, and try to locate them as best as i can. first off, your town plaza design looks very chic, and fits with the modern atmosphere you say you're trying to convey. the planned bushes and current golden roses will be a nice touch, too! i would recommend to perhaps change your planned bushes, so you have some height variation, and have a cedar every other bush, or every third bush. this will improve the look of it c:

aw, the statue fountain is so cute! the rainbow rose garden is super adorable. remember to alternate with trees and bushes, again. also, it's good that you have a solid, obvious path design, but maybe alternate some patterns here and there to convey a more realistic road? maybe a drain, pothole or some road markings would be nice in a modern town.

i love the symmetry at your town hall! the streetlamps are so quaint and simple, but again the patterns would look far better with some variation. perhaps try a different type of path for different parts of the town?

the purple tones beside the station are very cute, but maybe add some white pansies or white violets to soften the harsher colour?

your campground is well placed, but perhaps place a more symmetrical set of flowers around it? as well as this, have some tree stumps or a campcot to get a better little atmosphere there. the zen?? oldfashioned-y streetlamp is a cute touch, though.

the diagonal path through your little apple orchard is adorable, but you need some normal trees and maybe some cherries to really have a lot of red to capture it. as well as this, the path ends rather abruptly at a villager's house, which is a shame as it's so near the river's waterfall.

i like how straight the road is beside phoebe and zell's houses, it really screams suburbia! try and alternate flowers beside their houses to match their colour schemes - maybe red lilies and gold roses for phoebe, and jacobs ladders and white violets for zell's? even contrasting colours would look cute!

// on a side note, there seems to be a lacking of trees across the town, so i imagine you've gone and chopped them all down at some point.

if you ever move apollo or melba out, the bridge would have a lot more symmetry to it. currently it feels a little forced in place, and apollo seems quite far from the path. you can always follow an internet tutorial for how to cycle villagers to get them back into your town quickly, and with plot resetting or placing lots of designs on the ground, you can practically decide exactly where you want villagers to move in.

the caf? is nicely placed, and would again look good with perhaps some flowerbox designs?? idk what you have planned, but the yellow violets and orange lilies combo is very cute! to the right of this, your little tree in a circle of bushes is an adorable plan. i imagine it's some sort of park ornamental feature? c:

ah, the mayor's house! the bushes were part of the front garden decorations, of course! i love the exterior to the house, it gives it a real cottagey feel, especially with the black roses. again, try mixing flowers to create good looking combinations. to your front door, you could focus on getting a more nature-y path, with clovers or dirt path patterns.

// one thing to mention is your planning is amazing! i never have the patience to plan anything past the literal inch from where i'm currently planting up, but this is great!

the police station's positioning is very nice, but to make it seem less foreboding and less of a cube, plant some bushes and leave the corner bush out, which will soften it into the landscape. retail is nice and close by, and the white, pink and blue combo is very pleasing. above this point seems to be a barren area (perfect for the rest of a zen garden, as you have the zen garden pwp?), but i like the white triangle shaped garden leading to the amiibo campsite. against the green bushes, it's so pretty.

below this, your pink rose and yellow rose combination is very sweet. don't be afraid to mix breeds of flowers, though!

right, that's about all there is to see. i enjoyed the areas you have made so far, and look forward to seeing it grow in the future. goodluck!! ^^,

edit: sorry about the long post!! didn't realise i waffled for so long ;;;

Last edited:
Thank you so much! That was really thorough and honest and I appreciate that so much. I'm really happy you enjoyed visiting.

I'll take what you said into mind as I continue planning!

Also, I do plan to move out melba so I can make that little area her house is in a little garden for the cafe. Hopefully that's sometime soon!

The diagonal path by Kyle's house (the red orchard area) will kinda curve around his house

I'll head there right now! I don't think I saw the before, but that won't stop me from looking now!

Back