• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

-

the one of lana is so beautiful i'm weeping
i'm honestly against the overcharging of prices for commissions but you are extremely talented and you should be charging at least 80-100 dollars for each piece, especially with how much time it takes and the incredible detail you put into it. when i first scrolled down to the portrait of maleficent i thought it was an actual picture, not something that was drawn. you are utterly amazing at art.

Aww thank you so much! Your comment just made my day ❤️

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and give your opinion, it means a lot! ^-^

I feel like the maleficent, guy with the gun could go for like $70-$90 if you send digitally or print on normal paper. Or on thick canvas paper, I'd say $80-$100paper

The game of thrones guy, or the blonde female ( I believe from got too ), could go for like $60-$80

I'm thinking that's just for beginning, you could go higher once you're more known

Last edited:
I feel like the maleficent, guy with the gun could go for like $70-$90 if you send digitally or print on normal paper. Or on thick canvas paper, I'd say $80-$100paper

The game of thrones guy, or the blonde female ( I believe from got too ), could go for like $60-$80

I'm thinking that's just for beginning, you could go higher once you're more known

Thank you for your input! :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

did you trace over the images as a base?

No, I did not :)

im curious if youre capable of drawing as detailed pieces freehand without directly replicating major features from an image? you have amazing comprehension of whats going on in your references, but imo a perfect digital replication of a picture isnt worth anything to me. i personally just wouldnt be interested in having a digital replica of an image i already had...? the only case id pay for something like that would be when its a traditional oil painting that could be shipped to my house as the original piece or something

also when you do sell prints id advise you link the referenced images in the description or something bc a) i personally would not buy a print that was not freehanded design/art and would feel deceived if i learned it was a directly referenced piece and b) ive done projects similar to this in my art class and we actually were not allowed to claim the pieces as our own original work or sell them because we had utilized another persons artwork (their photography) as a very direct reference, which actually can get you in trouble and has gotten some artists in trouble in the past, but that only really gets called out on bigger artists, or in some cases magazines, companies, etc.

but yea, very interested in seeing any 100% freehand pieces from you

Last edited:
im curious if youre capable of drawing as detailed pieces freehand without directly replicating major features from an image? you have amazing comprehension of whats going on in your references, but imo a perfect digital replication of a picture isnt worth anything to me. i personally just wouldnt be interested in having a digital replica of an image i already had...? the only case id pay for something like that would be when its a traditional oil painting that could be shipped to my house as the original piece or something

also when you do sell prints id advise you link the referenced images in the description or something bc a) i personally would not buy a print that was not freehanded design/art and would feel deceived if i learned it was a directly referenced piece and b) ive done projects similar to this in my art class and we actually were not allowed to claim the pieces as our own original work or sell them because we had utilized another persons artwork (their photography) as a very direct reference, which actually can get you in trouble and has gotten some artists in trouble in the past, but that only really gets called out on bigger artists, or in some cases magazines, companies, etc.

but yea, very interested in seeing any 100% freehand pieces from you

Well apparently you haven't even bothered to read my post, because the whole point of this is to get opinions on how much I should charge for a portrait commission. "Replicating major features from an image" is kinda the point here, since this is a portrait.

If a "perfect digital replication of a picture" isn't worth anything to you like you said, then maybe you shouldn't even be looking at digital portraits ?\_(ツ)_/?
Maybe your thing is more OCs or illustrations. And that's great, lots of artists do that, but this isn't what I'm doing here. You are perfectly entitled to your opinions and your tastes, but dissing other people's work because it isn't your cup of tea is not okay.

Plus these aren't even full-realistic portraits, as you can see I blend it with an abstract style, I add bright colors, textures, background, lighting, etc... I certainly wouldn't call any of those pieces a "complete digital replica of an image someone already has", as you said yourself.

You are blaming artists from using references here. Are you actually discrediting every single portrait artist out there, because they are painting real-life subjects, and not only imaginary ones? Sorry to break this to you but EVERY single artist uses references, one way or the other. One basic task when someone starts to draw, is to take life drawing sessions for example : drawing models. Or going to the park, or the zoo, and drawing the animals there. Are you actually saying that in this case because this isn't traditional, it isn't worth anything and the skills are then non-existent, simply because of the medium used?

As for linking to the references, that's just what I've done here. And again, portraits are automatically referenced. I honestly doubt that someone will expect that I did a 10 hours portrait of an actual person from my imagination. And again, we are talking about commissions here. A client is contacting me to paint a portrait of their loved ones, I'm obviously gonna need a picture for that.

And there is nothing to "claim as my own", again : I am drawing a portrait here. I am not claiming I invented the character of Daenerys for example, then drew her. It is essentially fanart. I absolutely am claiming the work as my own, because it is. I drew this for 10 hours. What I am not claiming as my own however, is the subject of the painting. That is a big difference.

Also, you keep using the word "freehanded" a lot. I think there is a huge misconception here. Let me remind you that the term freehand means : to draw using only eye-hand coordination. Again, I did draw all of those with my right hand, only I look at the screen instead of looking down :)

Digital art, is still art. There is no magic trick, no magic filter I put over the images to make them look this way. I do every single stroke myself, with my hand. Essentially the only difference is that instead of drawing on a piece of paper/canvas, I draw on a tablet. So yes, they are freehanded.

But thank you for your input :)

No, I did not :)

OCHlsvJ.png
ok but heres the image overlay

- - - Post Merge - - -

like i think tracing helps an artist grow to an extent but don't sell traced artwork, thats shady.

like i think tracing helps an artist grow to an extent but don't sell traced artwork, thats shady.

Thank you for that image overlay. I am aware of that. I commented a while ago that while I paint I have the reference picture on the side, and I also have it as a separate layer on top of my painting - that way it is much more easier to see if the portrait is accurate, and what needs to be worked on. But I DO NOT trace :) There's a reason I spend 10+ hours on a piece to get it as close as the original. But thanks though, I take you trying that much to make my work seem illegitimate as a compliment ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for that image overlay. I am aware of that. I commented a while ago that while I paint I have the reference picture on the side, and I also have it as a separate layer on top of my painting - that way it is much more easier to see if the portrait is accurate, and what needs to be worked on. But I DO NOT trace :) There's a reason I spend 10+ hours on a piece to get it as close as the original. But thanks though, I take you trying that much to make my work seem illegitimate as a compliment ;)

i mean it looked traced to begin with but 5 seconds in sai proved it. someone got defensive quick.

i mean, having an over layed image above what you're drawing so you can draw it exactly the same is totally not tracing what was i thinking. WEW.

i mean it looked traced to begin with but 5 seconds in sai proved it. someone got defensive quick.

i mean, having an over layed image above what you're drawing so you can draw it exactly the same is totally not tracing what was i thinking. WEW.

I got defensive quick? I'm simply responding to you, and doing it with a smile :) If this is being defensive then there's absolutely no reason to try to talk to you.

Btw, tracing is when you draw on top of an image. Meaning I have the image full opacity and draw ON TOP of it - that's tracing. I have the reference with me so I can compare faster as I paint and see what needs to be worked on. Damn. You're super aggressive, did you have a bad day? I never created this thread to get in an argument with anyone. No need to be a d*ck. Make yourself a cup of tea or something

- - - Post Merge - - -

OwO what's this??

Hey hi welcome to the party! Apparently today I'm the chosen one to be barked at by an internet troll :)

please smudge me like you smudge reference photos to call the finished piecesssss

do you have any art that isn't heavily reference based? genuine question in case i might be interested

Heyyy, no come back so you attempt to say a salty joke instead? Nice try. What a sad life you must have. Needing to be aggressive to strangers on the internet to feel alive. Ok, I'm guessing you're done with me now, quick, go find someone else before you feel empty again!

making things match up pixel by pixel is still a form of tracing. but i mean :^) ok

Guys stay on topic. If you've got nothing to constructively contribute you're better off not posting.

I would reccomend not copying other people art styles so hard, it can make your work worth less to commissioners if it isn't very unique to your own individual person.

Last edited:
Guys stay on topic. If you've got nothing to constructively contribute you're better off not posting.

isn't it shady to ask money from ppl when u trace tho. what about the integrity of tbt tom.

Back