• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Pokemon Sun/Moon No Gyms

Do you like no gyms in pokemon Sun/Moon?

• Yes, I love that they removed the gyms!

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • No, I liked gyms more then the island challenge.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I dont care. I like them both.

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • I dont like either.

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Noah98789

Nobody Patches Me.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0000-0000-0000
Leif
Flea
Red Rose
White Rose
Yellow Rose
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Silver Mailbox
Tasty Cake
What's your opinion on Sun/Moon having no gyms?
EDIT: I dont know why i made this multi-choice, theres no point..

Last edited:
lol no matter what this game has its not challenging whatsoever :T

Last edited:
i liked them trying to create something new and it was exciting for a little bit, but it got tedious to travel to different islands and endure the long trials when you can beat them easily. give me something harder like the 8th gym in pokemon soul silver, without ice type pokemon.

I feel like the trials are easier than gyms and most of the time they are just silly. I don't like having so many trials either. It puts way too many roadblocks all over the map. I am still on the second island because I got annoyed and started breeding Pok?mon and playing in festival plaza instead.

I for one love the fact that they removed the gyms. Every pokemon was the same ****. 2 Gyms > Bad Guy Intro > 7th Gym > Bad Guy Boss > Finish the game.

I mean... this wasn't too different in that regard, but at least they installed entirely new elements to the game. Not just Z moves, but the Kahunas as a whole. It was nice to see something new. Although unlikely, I hope they continue with new themes with each new game.

i really liked the change but i think i prefer gyms. the trials were definitely a breath of fresh air though.

No gyms? Well I need to find somethin' cause mah biceps are goin' flat!

I didn't mind. It was good they did something different tbh. Some of them I enjoyed a lot like Kiawe's and Acerola's trails.

Doesn't matter. :)
Enjoy it regardless of whether or not there weren't any gyms.

I enjoyed the island challenge present in Sun & Moon. I was initially worried that it wouldn't feel substantive enough since there aren't that many islands in the Alola region, but the region felt satisfactory. It ended up being a nice change of pace after only having the gym system through the course of the previous 20 years.

I hope to see the gym system return in future installments of the series, but I also wouldn't necessarily be opposed to Game Freak switching things up like they did in Sun & Moon. Hopefully whatever they decide is right for any particular future regions manage to deliver fulfilling experiences.

In short, in regards to the poll, I chose the third option. Both methods have proven to be successful as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I like the gyms better, but I don't hate the trials. I think the game would have been a little more challenging if they had gyms but still kept the trials. I didn't think Sun/Moon was much of a challenge and I think if gyms were higher levels and we had island trials on top of that it would be a little more difficult.

Last edited:
Haven't finished the game yet but I think the trials are kind of neat. Still prefer gyms though, but trials fit the vibe of Alola really well so I don't mind them too much

Last edited:
I have really been enjoying Pokemon Ultra Moon again recently! I do not play Pokemon often but I enjoyed the gyms and thought they were a smart little challenge and way to progress the story. I really liked how they tried to make the Island Challenge and Trials different and unique but most were either tedious or boring. Also most of the Totem Pokemon just used the same cheap moves over and over again 😥.

I think that overall gyms were better and I am glad they went back to them for Sword and Shield!

I liked that they changed up gen 7 by not doing gyms. It was a breath of fresh air. Yes gyms are usually better but it doesn’t hurt to change up the formula from time to time. I also like how they put an untraditional spin on the Pokémon league as well.

It's weird looking back at gen 7 now cause I feel like it got the gen 5 treatment. Once again they tried changing up the formula, and it actually was really really good. But people moaned so they won't do it again.

Gen 5 and 7 had some of the best storylines, largely attributed to the way they changed up the regular formula imo.

Every time a Pokemon fan says they want the formula to change, and it does, they complain about it. I always thought the trials were an improvement and made Alola stand out. There is very little worldbuilding in the Pokemon universe because there is little interconnectivity between regions and generations (we only had it with Johto-Kanto). Every region should be unique in its own way and the trials were a good way of saying that not all regions have or need gyms to be a good region.

In my opinion, the trial challenges were barely different than the gyms so I honestly didn't see what the whole "omg what a crazy unique concept!!" thing was about.

Back