• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Positive Things About Christianity

It's done a lot of good things in my life. First, praying to God has helped me out a lot. Whether it's finding something I lost, seeking comfort, advise, asking forgiveness or just want to talk, God is always there to listen. Ask and you shall receive. Second, I've learned to treat people better and forgive easier. Am I perfect in this category? Absolutely not. It's something I have to continue to work on. Third, being Christian has given me peace. I know that after I pass I will be in Heaven. I have a lot to work on as a Christian though. I don't have the best Church attendance and should really read from my Bible more as an example.

- - - Post Merge - - -

So if you commit a really awful crime like if you kill someone, as long as you believe in Jesus, you'll get to go rest peacefully in heaven?

I know it's all about forgiveness but shouldn't those horrible people be doomed to hell?

It doesn't really work like that. Someone who has committed murder out of ill intent would have to truly seek forgiveness for their actions. They really wouldn't have Jesus in their heart to commit that kind of crime to begin with. Believers in Jesus should always regularly seek forgiveness for their sins. Yes, Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't confess what you've done. It helps put yourself at ease admitting you did wrong.

Last edited:
im not christian but i have older relatives who are/were. i think it comforted them to believe that there was an afterlife, especially as they got older and their spouses and most their friends started to die. it's good to see them being more ok with death because they believe their loved ones are in a good place.

So if you commit a really awful crime like if you kill someone, as long as you believe in Jesus, you'll get to go rest peacefully in heaven?

I know it's all about forgiveness but shouldn't those horrible people be doomed to hell?

Yeah the bible is very explicit about blasphemy (not accepting Jesus as the son of god and your saviour) being the only mortal sin.

To answer the OP's question, I come from a very religious extended family and I would say these are some of the reasons that they've expressed for loving their religion:

- a sense of community with their church
- being completely forgiven for their mistakes
- being able to communicate with deceased loved ones through prayer and knowing they'll see them again in heaven
- having a complete moral guide in the bible to determine right from wrong

I would add to this that I think they feel strong ties to their cultural heritage by keeping their religious practices alive.

personally i'm catholic but i'm around christians constantly. i have no problem with most christians themselves because most of my friends irl are christian, but with the religion itself, i definitely don't agree with some of the beliefs. a few years ago i used to think christianity and catholicism were really similar but they truly are two different fields if you look at some of the major differences. i don't think christianity is a bad religion by any means but it does have some problems.

one of the most disturbing things i'd ever heard came from an old teacher of mine who was christian. she said that a little boy lying to his mother about stealing a cookie was the equivalent (sin wise) of hitler killing millions. which is the most twisted logic i've ever heard. it sounds crazy to me because in catholicism there is different levels of sin (venial and mortal). personally i just refuse to believe that all sin is equal because a little white lie cannot be the equivalent to murdering millions of people, and killing millions of people is definitely not forgivable in my eyes.

i'm branching off a little because i'm just ranting, but specifically some of the people who believe in the religion make it look bad, the main issue (but of course this isn't only for christianity - other religions have this problem too) is hatred of gays. now before anyone roasts me on a stick, i know that not every single christian is homophobic but many of them are. god says 'love your neighbor' yet some christians try to convince gay people that they are condemned to hell when instead they should be loving their neighbor. this also applies to racists and islamophobes who are christian, since they just love to hate their neighbors. nice job, makes complete sense!! it's so infuriating how people make 'exceptions' to the commandments but.. that's none of my business.

i'm not trying to bring any negativity to the thread, just giving my own opinion.

Last edited:
I've been a Christian (Southern Baptist to be exact) since 2010, and this is what I'll say:
I'll admit that I don't practice it like I should, but at the same time it's given me relief. In 2014 my grandpa died, and I don't think without Christianity I could've overcome the grief as well as I did. It's also gotten me through rough times with my family, as my uncle is severely depressed and has been since 1993.
I'll admit, I'm probably not the best person to ask because I'm probably more of a lukewarm Christian more than anything. However, I actually am glad you created this thread.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's done a lot of good things in my life. First, praying to God has helped me out a lot. Whether it's finding something I lost, seeking comfort, advise, asking forgiveness or just want to talk, God is always there to listen. Ask and you shall receive. Second, I've learned to treat people better and forgive easier. Am I perfect in this category? Absolutely not. It's something I have to continue to work on. Third, being Christian has given me peace. I know that after I pass I will be in Heaven. I have a lot to work on as a Christian though. I don't have the best Church attendance and should really read from my Bible more as an example.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It doesn't really work like that. Someone who has committed murder out of ill intent would have to truly seek forgiveness for their actions. They really wouldn't have Jesus in their heart to commit that kind of crime to begin with. Believers in Jesus should always regularly seek forgiveness for their sins. Yes, Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't confess what you've done. It helps put yourself at ease admitting you did wrong.

I have to second this with something my preacher said: brutal dictators that executed many people, such as Adolf Hitler, would not be people that God would see in a positive light.

Last edited:
I am a Christian. So are my family, so I grew up always believing. No one forced me to. That is just what I was exposed to and as I got older and could understand on my own I continued to accept this and believe it and follow it. It just brings me a lot of comfort and I do feel like God watches out for me and answers my prayers. Just the other day some of my prayers got answered.

My family is Christian so I guess I am, sort of. I don't really agree with a lot of the things that the bible says and I don't really practice it nor would I say I'm that 'religious', despite going to church weekly but I only really make the effort so I won't upset my mum. Honestly, one of the biggest factors contributing to my 'beliefs' was that kids church was pure **** and I grew up thinking differently of things I guess.

Most of the other kids went to private schools bc I grew up in a very white dominated area, and they were all really snobby or like, felt higher in rank because I went to a public school and sort of left me out a lot of things and no one really approached because I was the ONLY ASIAN. The leaders didn't really care much either because they were usually a parent of one of the kids, so yeah, everything just left me on a sour note.

But yeah, I'm fine with Christianity I guess, it gives people comfort, hope and something to look forward to I guess.

Last edited:
I was raised Roman Catholic and Christians do a lot of good charity work and help some people turn their lives around. They also do plenty of awful things, so I'm pretty neutral towards Christianity.

Last edited:
View attachment 194334

In my personal belief, I do believe that people who commit murder are ultimately going to hell regardless of whether or not they beg for forgiveness. By committing murder you are making a choice to physically harm another person, it's not just some fist fight and then you walk away, you are taking away their life. Murder is a CHOICE (key word CHOICE), unless it is self-defense it is inexcusable. So when you decide to take another person's life, you are sacrificing your own for eternal suffering in Hell.

For example, say someone spends 50 years doing absolutely nothing with their life (that's a sin in Christianity, Sloth one of the Seven Deadly Sins) and they change their meaningless lifestyle completely around and ask for forgiveness that would be 'water under the bridge' for him. Most sins like that one for example, even much more severe sins than that example can be forgiven because in Christianity we are taught that God is forgiving which is one of the reasons people would go to Church to cleanse yourself of the sins you've committed. Murder on the other hand I believe is immoral and deserves eternal suffering in Hell. In Christianity we are taught that life is sacred so by following that logic, Hell is where murderers should ultimately go.

View attachment 194335

Regardless of how you personally feel, biblically speaking, no sin damns one to hell as long as you ask God for forgiveness. It's not the right of people to judge who and who doesn't go to heaven, it's his. Literally all sins in the Bible are considered to be choices.

Last edited:
Back again.

You know what really disappoints me? The lack of detail in the Bible. Like, there was a local competition where I live last year, where you had to write a creation story, and you had to entail how the mountains and lakes were formed and stuff, and I wanted to get some inspiration from how the Bible describes the creation of the planet, but to my surprise there wasn't any.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm not religious, so the thought of someone having the ability to write a story about how the world was invented not taking any real creative advantage of the opportunity kinda makes me mad.

Back again.

You know what really disappoints me? The lack of detail in the Bible. Like, there was a local competition where I live last year, where you had to write a creation story, and you had to entail how the mountains and lakes were formed and stuff, and I wanted to get some inspiration from how the Bible describes the creation of the planet, but to my surprise there wasn't any.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm not religious, so the thought of someone having the ability to write a story about how the world was invented not taking any real creative advantage of the opportunity kinda makes me mad.

Positive things.

I'm Christian, and while I don't follow the bible word for word or anything I think I have a good relationship with God and knowing that He's looking out for me gets me through hard times.

I'm a Christian myself, actually. It gives me a great sense of comfort to know that no matter how scared or alone I feel, God is there watching over me. Heaven is a very nice thought as well. A place with no pain and no darkness, just light and love. :blush:

My family is protestant Christian, but personally as I got older I started becoming agnostic. So yes, I do believe in a higher power, I'm just on my own path to finding that! I think religion is general is not a right or wrong answer, but it's great moral compass and I personally associate myself as someone who was able to get through a lot because of my belief in God

It pisses me off that i'm doomed to go to hell just because I'm makeing the choice not to believe.

If god loves everyone, then why does he need his ego stoked every sunday? People tell me "we need to make sure god feels loved and worshiped" well, if he's such an all powerful creater of man then why should he care what people think about him? If god loves everyone, why is me and my family doomed to hell becuase we choose not to believe?

Last edited:
It pisses me off that i'm doomed to go to hell just because I'm makeing the choice not to believe.

If god loves everyone, then why does he need his ego stoked every sunday? People tell me "we need to make sure god feels loved and worshiped" well, if he's such an all powerful creater of man then why should he care what people care about him? If god loves everyone, why is me and my family doomee to hell becuase we choose not to believe?

Positive things. I don't want any negativity, please. c:

Last edited:
Positive things. I don't want any negativity, please. c:

I don't care if its negative or what people think of me because of it. I said what I believe in, and I'm done. If people are going to be mad at me, so be it. Its their opinion and they're allowed to believe in whatever they want, I just don't believe in christianity. I don't need to scream back at someone if they get upset over my opinion.

The realisation and self-discovery of your religious/spiritual identity is the most positive thing I can think of that religion brings about. It's not a negative thing if you hate Christianity.

Back