7144-2399-2801
Green Candy
Red Candy
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Ancient Candle
Pumpkin Cupcake
Voodoo Doll
Okay, so, to understand why I'm asking this requires an explanation.
I'm an only child, and because I've always honestly been very lonely, when my eighth birthday came in February 2008, my family promised a dog, and I managed to get one by that following April (the delay happened because of paperwork issues).
However, having this dog would prove to be a short-lived event. That following July, my dad forced my mom and I to send her back because she was driving him crazy. However, you must know this: when they were looking for dogs early in 2008, they literally did zero research, and the got a Jack Russell terrier, one of the most hyper dog breeds. So, literally, the dog was sent back because my parents did no research on dogs at all, and it made me extremely unhappy to have a birthday present be sent back, especially one I had been anticipating and cared about so much.
However, my mom said that she did it because the man runs the household and has more say than the wife or children, and because she had problems saying that she'd obey her husband in her marriage vows when she got married in 1997, and she wanted to reassure him. However, in your opinion, does the man really run the household, and was what my dad made us do right? I just ask because I literally remember crying that whole day in July 2008.

NO!

Men and Women should equally run a household.

Its 2017 people, sexism and gender dominance should be abolished by now and the sooner people realise that, it will be for the better.

Last edited:
NO!

Men and Women should equally run a household.

Its 2017 people, sexism and gender dominance should be abolished and the sooner people realise that, it will be for the better.

100% agreed. A household shouldn't be dominated by one parent.

Apparently, this dog situation was exacerbated by the fact that my mom never even told my dad about the dog when she was making the plans of getting one.
Honestly, it still pains me, and my mom still says now that everything she did in 2008 was right and that she'd do it again in a heartbeat.

maybe in ur household the man DOES run the household

thats not always a bad thing but...i think both parents should have a say

A couple should run a household together. Or roommates, or a polyamorous group of people, or whatever. If you're one of the adults, you get a say. And honestly, kids too, to an extent.

The only thing I might agree with is that if one person has a job and the other doesn't, the person with the job has more say-so with the finances, but that's the extent to which I'll give or take responsibility.

My father does literally do nothing for this household, so he doesn't have the final say either.
A healthy couple should run a household together as equals, no one should have power over their partner.

its not for me to say whether what your dad did was right or not, it's not my family so i can't judge. however, i don't think the man should run a household, like everyone said, it's 2017 and its equal participation and help. my family works the same as yours though, my dad does run it more than my mom, but it's whatever.

Typically the husband earns the money and pays the bills and the wife does the cooking and looks after the kids. However, that's not always the case, such as when the husband's dead. Haha... oh, that got a little dark.

I'm conflicted. It depends on exactly what you mean. Is the husband more dominant? Depends on the couple. It really varies in reality, but traditionally it's the husband.

It sucks, but it's still the way it is in most families. It's not right, but it's the reality of most people's experiences, even today in 2017. I hope by the end of my lifetime that tradition will have died out and families will be more equal, but change can be slow.

I do agree that both of the parents run the household, however I feel like the man usually is the "leader" and the woman is the caretaker, organizer, etc.

Though, nowadays the roles are very fluid.

If you were to ask me I would probably still agree with the man as the runner of the household.

My parents have always done things equally. My mom stayed at home and looked after us, cleaned the house, etc. Then when my dad would come home from work he knew his options were to either make dinner or play with us.

Even now that we are all adult children, my dad primarily cooks,my mom cleans and they make decisions together.

That's how I strive for my household to be with my husband. I do find I make more decisions in the day to day work, like what to have for dinner. But the bigger decisions, like getting an animal, is up to the both of us.

Back