• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How often do you get the urge to reset?

ams

Bells
Matryoshka Doll
Isabelle
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Cherry (Fruit)
So I've had the game for almost 2 years now, but I'm on my 3rd town. I find that every few months I really just want to start my town over from scratch. Sometimes there are things about my town that bug me and other times I just get bored. My current town is the one I've had the longest (10 months) but I really want to reset all of a sudden!

How often do you guys feel like you need to start over in NL?

I have that urge almost all the time, but then I think about how long it will take to do everything all over again and then it goes away. Lol. Like, I would really love to restart, since now I know what to really look for in a town map, but I'm way too lazy to start over.

Never, I've had my town since launch and I love it.

I've had the game since release and I've restarted probably 11 times? After about 3-4 months I get the urge to restart. I'm not sure why. I started getting bored with my current town recently because there's not much left to accomplish for me. Like yeah I could go for some gold badges but ugh the thought of that does not appeal. I considered restarting completely but I'm about to start a full time night shift job and I can't imagine pouring so much time into a video game anymore. Maybe now that I won't have much free time I can appreciate my town more instead of nitpicking everything.

I've only restarted once, but only because I hadn't played in 2-3 years. I just restarted a few days ago actually, but I remembered this forum and came back with more goals for my town :blush:

I actually get that same urge to reset, and for the same exact reasons too! Whenever i have the town for a very long time, I either start to get bored of it, or one little thing in it will annoy me for a long time. Except that whenever i'd try to put of that feeling, it would just build up into when I'd would certainly restart later. I'd always tell my friend "this is the last one, I swear!". I'd always have him hold my stuff when i restart, but having to do it 20+ times when I have a completely full train storage is quite annoying for him XD. But I actually am pretty satisfied with my town right now! I always seem to get my museum on the left side, but I've really wanted to try it on the right side. But I remember my main annoyances would be with other things that I am completely unable to change, such as the flow of the river, ridges of the cliff, beach space, Town hall/retail locations, etc. I am extremely nitpicky over the smallest of things, and it makes me restart over the smallest of reasons lol. So I literally know exactly how you feel :).

So I've had the game for almost 2 years now, but I'm on my 3rd town. I find that every few months I really just want to start my town over from scratch. Sometimes there are things about my town that bug me and other times I just get bored. My current town is the one I've had the longest (10 months) but I really want to reset all of a sudden!

How often do you guys feel like you need to start over in NL?

I see greener grass yonder....then it goes away the closer I get.

I call myself a serial resetter for a reason. I pretty much live off the urge to reset lol

I've reset towns at least 50 times in the past year. Everytime I see something that bugs me, I reset. I'm extremely picky and a huge perfectionist. Which is a shame... Because of all this, only two towns have made it to 30 days, three have made it to 20, one made it to 10, and the rest have never even reached 7 days.
I've already come to accept that I'll never have a successful town because of my never ending urge and crazy restrictions I put on myself.

Never. I never have this urge. I've had the same town in my main ACNL game since I got it. If I were to lose all of my progress, I would probably cry for like a week and never have the motivation to play it again. I remember one time I was talking to a villager and the game froze, and I didn't have the motivation to play it for like another two weeks just from losing that one day's progress.

Definitely used to. I started over after working around 3 years on my town because I got bored, the layout wasn't good and I just wanted to start something fresh. My 2nd town looking fine until my sister took over so I left it and got a new copy on Christmas.
I didn't play it for a while though since doing everything over is hard, but I've been playing it a lot recently and I have everything I need to make this town look good for once.

every time i complete my town, i just want to move to another. it's nice to build on your town, and why i dislike the fact that i time travel.

I love resetting my town but in an effort to stick to one town for longer than a few months, I started my current town way back in the past. I TT regularly because I'm trying to catch up to present day which gives me something to do in my town all the time :)

I only reset once two years ago bc I wanted a do-over and a better map. Ever since then I've been pretty happy with my town. I've considered starting over but it would be a pain to find a map I liked as much and kinda boring to have to do everything over again so I've decided to stick with this town. I might get a digital copy eventually tho, and start a new town there with different villagers, etc. and without having to delete this one. But I'm not in any rush to do that.

If I don't feel satisfied with my layout within the first few weeks to maybe, a month, I would delete that town and start over again. Also, once I've finished landscaping and stopped playing for a year, I would probably make a new town in another ACNL copy but I don't consider that as resetting.

I'm gonna be honest, I've never held a town for longer than two months and I've played the game since June 9, 2013. I reset way too much in the beginning and it's just continued ever since.

I've reset I think 7 times. Usually because a villager moves into a bad place when I have 4 characters with somewhat built up houses.

This time around I'm leaving one character in a tent until I know for a fact that the pattern trick works to help plot houses in certain areas. So far I've had 2 new move ins and the pattern trick worked but I'm going to give it one more move in before I'm absolutely sure.

The problem before was, as a person who likes to have all 4 character homes, it was impossible to get new villagers to move where you want them to. And I think the fun part of this game is meeting new neighbors so of course I want the ones I have to be able to move and new neighbors move in, I just want to be able to determine where they live so they don't ruin paths or parks that I've made.

Last edited:
I've had the game since launch and I always get the urge to reset my town. I should because I haven't played this one too much but I know I can't because I don't want to get rid of my villagers ....

all the time before i learned how to hack. the main reasons why i would were because of my face, map, or just because. i would do it every few months (sometimes even keep a town for a few weeks and reset sometimes).

now that i hack its easy to change all of those things and im becoming happier and happier with my town

I had the urge to reset my first New Leaf town because I was never really that attached to it. I was involved in an MMO at the time so I was never fully focused on my town. Although I didn't care for it, I ended up buying another copy of New Leaf 2 years later just so that I wouldn't lose all of the nice patterns I had on my (first) town.

With my new town I don't really think about resetting at all, and I don't really think that will change. I have all of my favorite neighbors and for the most part my town setup is pretty cute.

Last edited:
I never want to reset my town, I always have that feeling of all that time and effort put into that town, and I always think about the positive factors in the town. But, if you feel that urge, maybe you should do that, it could start a new and better town.

Back