• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

How often do you get the urge to reset?

I get bored of my town all the time! Sometimes I think my theme is boring or there's a rock in an annoying place or I get frustrated with the side Re-Tail is on... but it takes so long to regather everything. The PWPs and the items and the villagers *sigh*

Never reset, never will. I think it's because I'm a super old animal crossing player. And my brother and I always kept our town because tbh I like the fact of demolishing stuff instead of starting over :p

A lot... I've had 6 different towns, and I have two copies of the game. I started with a pastel town which I lost the cartridge to, so I remade the pastel town on a new cartridge, then I found my old cartridge so I restarted that one at turned it into a Halloween town which changed from a Halloween town to an OTGW town, then back to just Halloween, and now it's both. XD And then I got bored of my pastel town so I restarted it to do a farm town. And then I lost the cartridge to the farm town and I was just playing my halloween one. When the update came out i wanted to test to see if I wanted to update my Halloween town so I restarted my boyfriend's copy and was going to do a Black and White themed town, but I gave him it back once I found my copy with the farm town so he restarted it, and I restarted my farm town to do the OYC town which is a pastel/rainbow town. XD

A lot... I've had 6 different towns, and I have two copies of the game. I started with a pastel town which I lost the cartridge to, so I remade the pastel town on a new cartridge, then I found my old cartridge so I restarted that one at turned it into a Halloween town which changed from a Halloween town to an OTGW town, then back to just Halloween, and now it's both. XD And then I got bored of my pastel town so I restarted it to do a farm town. And then I lost the cartridge to the farm town and I was just playing my halloween one. When the update came out i wanted to test to see if I wanted to update my Halloween town so I restarted my boyfriend's copy and was going to do a Black and White themed town, but I gave him it back once I found my copy with the farm town so he restarted it, and I restarted my farm town to do the OYC town which is a pastel/rainbow town. XD

Thanks. It was an adventure just reading this. :cool:

I haven't reset since 2015. I didn't like my mayor's name so I reset. Now I'm pretty happy with my town but I always feel the urge to have new adventures and new experiences with new villagers. For example, I've never had a monkey, gorilla, hamster or chicken villager since launch. I wanna vasten my horizons but I love my town.

- - - Post Merge - - -

That was wild from start to finish. What a journey.

Thanks. It was an adventure just reading this. :cool:

I haven't reset since 2015. I didn't like my mayor's name so I reset. Now I'm pretty happy with my town but I always feel the urge to have new adventures and new experiences with new villagers. For example, I've never had a monkey, gorilla, hamster or chicken villager since launch. I wanna vasten my horizons but I love my town.

- - - Post Merge - - -

That was wild from start to finish. What a journey.

I'm REALLY good at being indecisive and losing things. =D

I call myself a serial resetter for a reason. I pretty much live off the urge to reset lol

I've reset towns at least 50 times in the past year. Everytime I see something that bugs me, I reset. I'm extremely picky and a huge perfectionist. Which is a shame... Because of all this, only two towns have made it to 30 days, three have made it to 20, one made it to 10, and the rest have never even reached 7 days.
I've already come to accept that I'll never have a successful town because of my never ending urge and crazy restrictions I put on myself.

I relate to this a lot and it kinda ruins the game, I had an obsession with resetting, and I was a heavy serial resetter. I still miss my very first town, but tbh do you not get bored of constantly going through the same dialogue to start again? you have to unlock everything, get your permit, ugh just thinking about it is painful aha. When you start out, there is no such thing as a perfect town. You really just have to put your head down and enjoy the game for what it is, instead of playing with the mindset that it's never good enough. Try sticking to one town for a while and don't allow yourself to reset; actually begin developing your town because that's when the game really starts: - remember it's not a competition ^_^. Also, if it's possible I recommend you try hacking your town, because then you can change literally any aspect of the game you don't like, villagers, layout, house, pwp....It's a game-changer.

like atleast once a week
though i havent played in a while (a month or so ;;)

I started to play around feb 2016 and for a year I played my town. After a while, I realized that wasn't turning out very good. It was too messy, I didn't have the native fruit I liked the most, i put pwp in weird places... a total mess, even if the villagers were cute. That's the time when I felt like I HAD to restart ..I was so undecided at first, and a little hurt to lose my so dear villagers.
But now I'm happy I did. Visiting so many dream towns in the past year gave me inspiration!
And now I'm totally happy with my town and even if I already completed all pwp, I'm never bored (still need to add more hybrids and finishing touches like that). So, I think no matter how many times you feel the need to restart ...if you want to do it, JUST Do IT!! You will have fun and that's what's important right? :)

For Canaan, never. I love absolutely everything about it. When I made Diamond I reset a few times because I wasn't happy with the layout or the starting villagers. Strange I know, but I just couldn't get motivated without some worthwhile villagers. However when I got a decent layout and Freya as a starting villager, I stuck with it. Not planning on resetting it again.

I normally get the urge to reset if it's been a while since I last picked up the game. I usually do this with other games too, if I can't remember where exactly I left off. It depends, I suppose.
I'd have to have picked a really terrible map, or picked a terrible place to place my campsite, or other.. permanent PWP to make me want to reset randomly.

I've reset I think 2-3 times in the past few years, and I always kind of regret it. I've mostly done it because I wanted a fresh slate of villagers but now with the amiibo cards it's possible to control that now. The only reason I might reset now is for the town structure, but I don't think I care that much.

I sometimes get the feeling that I want to reset. Usually on a day I'm depressed. The first time I reset was not because of depression however, it was actually because I just didn't like the town layout and the villagers weren't that good. The second time I reset was quite recent, however I restored from a backup as I felt it was a bit too late to reset. Instead of having a new town all together, I just used hacks to rename the town (not telling how because it's not allowed here, even though I've probably gone into further detail about hacking in other threads) and changed a few stuff around so it felt new. At this point, I don't think I will ever reset my New Leaf town ever again. When the Switch game comes out, I will NEVER reset the town or hack the game because I want a new experience and I also want to experience it like everyone else.

Last edited:
I think it's mainly the amiibo cards that are making me want to reset. I have all my favourite villagers, so getting them back would be no problem. If Nintendo could just sell amiibo cards for building colour, town fruit and grass pattern I'd be all in.

I've also been super obsessed with Main Street villagers since the update. Since there are 10(!) visitors now I feel the need to customize them too.

I never get that, I probably never will. I have only restarted a single time and it was not a clean restart. Since I have two towns I deleted my New Leaf 2014 town and transferred all my items and catalog through the selling your town mechanic. I had put a few Public Works Project sin bad places when I was little and a few things bothered me so with my amiibo cards, bells, catalog, and the public works projects list saving. I restarted and tried my best to get a map the exact same. I think its the same one but the shops miiiiiiight be in difference places, I dont really remember. Its basically my old town! But reimagined so like a remaster! I have worked on my badges and gotten way more than I ever did, finished the encyclopedias, got all gold tools, all shop upgrades, finished house and all debts paid and so much more! I am so happy with my town and love playing it and trying to get the badges and taking care of my villagers!!!

I'd be getting the feeling a lot more often if I didn't own 3 copies of the game. In the first town I went on a long hiatus and not even the big update could make me play it. I was still attached to the town though so I just got a second copy a few years later. Then last year I got a third copy because I realized I wanted some specific villagers but didn't want to move anyone out of my other two towns.

It's rare for me. I reset once after having the same town from the beginning, mainly because I wanted to shake things up a little.

I reset recently because I wanted a fresh start with the game and to make a themed town (or try to)

I don't really reset that much, I've reset like twice since getting the game in 2013.
I will admit that I do reset quite a bit on the other games though, particularly NH as I get bored quite fast.

Rather than reset, I simply bought more copies of the game. I had ideas for new towns with different residents that I wanted to experience, and this was before New Horizons, so it made sense.

Resetting Animal Crossing games doesn't really appeal to me much because I don't want to lose all the progress, effort, catalogue, etc. I realize there are options to keep that stuff, but eh. That said, it's not as if the thought's never crossed my mind; some aspects of my main town's map have bothered me a bit more in recent times and I've considered transferring the mayor to a new copy so I could have a map that I'm more satisfied with, but at this point I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of filling up the museum, reacquiring all of the residents, etc. because I have other things I'd rather be doing in life and other games I'm more interested in spending that sort of time with. I still love New Leaf and it's my favorite installment of the series, and I still play it periodically, but I don't know about giving it the same sort of time investment as I did in years past.

I have restarted many times before my current town. but i don’t plan on resetting my town now as i have made four years of progress on it already. i have a second new leaf game anyway, and i think used new leaf cartridges are cheap now if i really wanted a new save.

Back