• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Getting a tan?

Xme

Bells
Switch
6828-6730-4010
Can I get a tan on the island even though it's winter in my town? How long does it take to see some color?

I've been using the island to get a tan. I've read it takes about 15 minutes but I end up distracted and stay way longer than that.

you have to do it for 15 minutes a day for a week is what i heard if you want the darkest tan you can get tbh its so stupid nintendo should have just let you pick your ****ing skin color

You can get a tan from tours all the time. I left short, tee and flip flops on the island for my 2nd player.
During the evening she did a lot of tours and got the highest tan.

Just make sure you're not wearing a hat or shades as I am pretty sure those prevent you from tanning. (That's why I wear them)

Last edited:
you have to do it for 15 minutes a day for a week is what i heard if you want the darkest tan you can get tbh its so stupid nintendo should have just let you pick your ****ing skin color

Good news! in the Welcome amiibo update, you don't have to do that anymore. Just use the Mii mask and it should automatically change your skin colour.

Just make sure you're not wearing a hat or shades as I am pretty sure those prevent you from tanning. (That's why I wear them)

Does the crown count? (The regular small one) Because it's so tiny it doesn't seem like it would affect your tan but it is considered a hat

Does the crown count? (The regular small one) Because it's so tiny it doesn't seem like it would affect your tan but it is considered a hat

"When getting a tan on Animal Crossing: New Leaf, it's best to wear clothing that can expose some of the arm and leg. Wearing a hat, facial adornment, long-sleeved top or dress can prevent the tan or make it take longer to appear. For best effect, the player should wear a short-sleeved top or a tank with a pair of shorts or a skirt."

From the Wiki, I think any glasses or hats effect it.

Good news! in the Welcome amiibo update, you don't have to do that anymore. Just use the Mii mask and it should automatically change your skin colour.

yeah but once you take it off you change right back so its useless unless you actually like the mii mask (most people dont). it would have been so awesome if they made it so you could put the mii mask on and your skin stays that color even if you take it off. missed opportunity...

The majority of people do not like using the Mii mask. You also can't use hats and accessories while wearing it. It's strange that they added that feature for the mii mask but not on the actual animal crossing avatars because it means that they acknowledge the problem that people want their skin colour to match but won't give us a proper fix :( So frustrating. I used to tan, but who has time for that. I've stopped long ago. Luckily I'm not that much darker irl (maybe level 2 or 3 tan in-game) but it must be super annoying if you are much darker than that but are forced to play as a white character.

Back