• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Question: Patterns on ground mean no villagers will move to that spot?

FoxFeathers

Bells
Mother's Day Carnation
Black Hybrid Rose
White Violet
Purple Violet
Yellow Violet
Purple Violet
White Violet
Moon Ball
Ancient Candle
Lobo
Is this 100% confirmed?
If I place down pattern and totally cover an area, then no villager will move in on those patterned squares?

Beau moved on a path so not always :/ what sucks is I don't have his card

You don't need to leave an extra space for in front of the door. The plot itself is only 3x3; the game doesn't generate that extra empty space until the house itself exists.

You don't need a space for the front door since the rope plot is exactly 3x3. Once the villager moves in, that one single path in front will be automatically removed :)

Try to make this...
X=Pattern
O=Space
OXXXO
OXXXO
OXXXO
OOXOO
This seems to be what I follow, and it works all the time. :)
If you cover your town completely with patterns, the game will randomly move in the villager in a spot, often giving disastrous results.

You should design a layout early enough to get an idea how you want your town to flow. You can do this by putting patterns everywhere but with exception of where you would allow incoming, future villagers’ houses to get located. A trick can be to open your town gate, locally, so your current villagers do not interrupt you in action.

okay. I already quarantined off certain areas I don't want 'em. I'm pretty flexible with roads in most cases, I just don't want 'em sitting right next to one of my houses. Theres plenty of space left for 'em to move in

No. The only thing that will stop them is a pwp in that space. Which is a shame. I've lost many good future pwp spots thinking that paths or trees would save the space :(

No. The only thing that will stop them is a pwp in that space. Which is a shame. I've lost many good future pwp spots thinking that paths or trees would save the space :(

This has been changed with the update. Now, villagers do not move on paths unless they are unable to use the empty space for some reason - too close to a river or building, for example, or too many other houses in that section of town. I have had a 100% success rate moving villagers in and out exactly where I wanted them in my newest town by using patterns to block off all the ground except one 3x3 space.

I plop in a kind of checkerboard pattern and leave 3x4 spaces in case the door does count. But I always log in with a new character to make sure the villager is in a decent spot. I can heal the big messy spot a new character creates after I destroy their house, but a villager is there to stay.

Here to pipe in that I also have 100% success plot-resetting with patterns. I had only three spaces that Diana could move into, and she chose a perfect place right next to my river. I also tossed patterns around in a sorta checkerboard fashion, even picking up flowers to place a design in the center of my gardens. It's a great way to keep them from mowing down your flowers, even if you don't care where they go.

I had a path that went perfectly around Diana's spot before she chose to move in there. It was nice.

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and say that I also have 100% success rate in plotting houses where I want them to be. In fact, it's been awhile since I had them aligned next to each other both horizontally and vertically. Sometimes, I move them out due to changing clothes or when they mess up their houses then I rescan the cards to have them back. I'll make sure to cover the flowers, bushes, surround the trees with paths, cover everything that they could possibly move into, except for that single 3x3 space or the area where the previous villager was. Then I just load the game straight using my mayor's file the next day. I don't need to plot reset and they always move in where I want them to be.

Unfortunately this is what I thought with the left out information of them moving onto paths if there is no room available...i'm left extremely angry and annoyed with a massive headache because I had my whole map filled with paths except one perfect spot and for whatever reason the amiibo I was trying to move in REFUSED to land in that spot so it just turned into a huge mess.

Back