• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Save Files and SD cards..

RedRum2514

Stonks
Bells
Yellow Candy
Yellow Candy
New Horizons Token
Yellow Candy
Small Mailbox
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
sooo... I'm a little upset to admit my town didn't exactly turn out the way I wanted it to, in a large portion it did but it doesn't feel like the town I dreamed of, and having only one copy I should perfect and have the best town ever right? I wont buy a new copy because I'm very poor and one copy is $60 here (AUS). so my question is, SD cards, how do they work with save files? E.g, if I have my save file on my main card (36gb) and I put my backup card in (4gb) how will that work? will my game still be there or will everything be fresh?

I.e I want to create a new town on my backup sd but I want to keep my other on my main. I've heard that people are able to do this but it can be tricky somehow? someone explain all the details to me, am I able to have 2 towns on the same cartridge but with different SD cards? does it work that way? what are the risks and can I lose my town doing something like this? and am I able to merge all the data inc other games to one SD card choosing just one town, and if so how would I locate that save and where? need someone to explain this to me in all details down to the last spec. :lemon:

edit: forgot to mention I have the New 3DS!

Last edited:
I could've sworn the 3DS was dumb and only allowed one card per system

either way, since you'd have to have the game data on both SD cards, it might cause the system to flag the card(s) as bad. idk

and cartridge games only save to the cartridge, dlc and such notwithstanding

Last edited:
I could've sworn the 3DS was dumb and only allowed one card per system

either way, since you'd have to have the game data on both SD cards, it might cause the system to flag the card(s) as bad. idk

and cartridge games only save to the cartridge, dlc and such notwithstanding

would It make a difference if I have the new 3ds? and what do you mean flag the card as bad? I didn't know that could even happen??

would It make a difference if I have the new 3ds? and what do you mean flag the card as bad? I didn't know that could even happen??

no idea personally, but I'm gonna lean towards "probably not"

and essentially make the card and it's data unusable for the system unless you reformat it

no idea personally, but I'm gonna lean towards "probably not"

and essentially make the card and it's data unusable for the system unless you reformat it

ouch that seems pretty dangerous, I might just have to try and buy a preowned version then, thanks for the response!

Last edited:
You could homebrew your 3DS and then maybe use the JKSM feature (that you have to download onto the SD card through your computer and the internet). You could make two backups for each town and then just restore the backup for the town that you wanna play.

You could homebrew your 3DS and then maybe use the JKSM feature (that you have to download onto the SD card through your computer and the internet). You could make two backups for each town and then just restore the backup for the town that you wanna play.
isn't that technically hacking though? im strictly against that... plus wouldn't I need two games for that..?

I thought the highest memory you could use with an SD card for the 3DS was 32GB and no higher. Anyways, cartridge games save their save files to the cartridge while digital games store their save files to the 3DS system. Moving the game data from one SD card to another will make it still use the save file in the cartridge or system.

additional question; if I have a save on one SD and none on the other and cartridge, what goes on there?

isn't that technically hacking though? im strictly against that... plus wouldn't I need two games for that..?

Really, trying to get two towns out of one cartridge (i.e., paying for one cartridge and using it like two) is hacking, no matter how you accomplish it. It's worse than 'regular' hacking, actually. Since you are strictly against hacking, I would not suggest doing this. You will be better off saving for a used copy, as you said.

Cartridge games save to the cartridge, not the SD card. I have multiple towns, and I sometimes switch them between my DS and my husband's for travel purposes. The town data is the same on either system.

The game is saved on the cartridge not the SD card.

For digital games it is saved on the SD card, but the console will only recognize the most recent save. So if you switch in a new SD card and start a new town, the old town on the old SD card will no longer load.

If you're worried about the price of a new cartridge game you should look around and compare prices. I saw a girl on Instagram take advantage of the Christmas sales where Animal Crossing was selling for about $10 each and between her and her sister got four copies of the game. Last time I checked, Target Australia was selling at $20, which is a lot better than a $60.

If you're worried about the price of a new cartridge game you should look around and compare prices. I saw a girl on Instagram take advantage of the Christmas sales where Animal Crossing was selling for about $10 each and between her and her sister got four copies of the game. Last time I checked, Target Australia was selling at $20, which is a lot better than a $60.

I cant find a copy in target :( and anyways I've decided to reset :p

Back