Hate Play Coins? Raise Your Hand!

The point of the Play Coins in first place is to get people walking as many days as possible. The idea itself sounds great on paper, but it's ultimately dragged down by the arbitrarily strict daily cap. It's incredibly easy to hit 1,000 steps (10 Play Coins), since you only have to walk for a bit less than a kilometer. By the time you get about 2+ StreetPass tags from any place that isn't a gaming convention or Japan, you would've already reach the limit.

Way to go on defeating the premise of Play Coins, Nintendo!

I am indifferent to them honestly. I just bring my 3DS with me so I earn plenty, but I can understand how they would be annoying. Hopefully those will not carry forward into future consoles...

I hate Play Coins. The 3DS is a handheld but I hate having to carry it with me, let alone turned on in sleep mode. I don't play it except when I'm home and StreetPass is also non-existent where I live so there's literally zero reason to carry it with me.

If you could earn more than 10 a day? They wouldn't be so bad. But having to pack that extra thing, especially when you don't carry a big bag of some sort? No. (Especially with the xl versions or a big clunky 2ds.) 10 a day is way too few to bother to pack it when you do go out when you'll be walking a lot. And for the people who work, who the hell is gonna carry it with them while they're working? If they even have a job where they move around. Some people have desk jobs, and by the time they're done work I doubt they want to go walking 1000 steps every single day just to get even the 10 limit. They're poorly thought out and just a horrible mechanic.

So wait, can you earn them while you are playing a game? So if I walked around while playing New Leaf, would I gather steps for play coins? Or does it only count if I am on sleep mode?

So wait, can you earn them while you are playing a game? So if I walked around while playing New Leaf, would I gather steps for play coins? Or does it only count if I am on sleep mode?

It doesn't matter if you're currently running a game or not. The 3DS will track each of your step while the system is in sleep mode.

It doesn't matter if you're currently running a game or not. The 3DS will track each of your step while the system is in sleep mode.

Sweet, thank you! Definitely gonna try walking while playing.

I usually have my 3DS with me anyway and usually just put it in sleep mode rather than switching it off (because I don't play it enough whilst I'm out for the battery to die anyway and I usually have to stop playing in the middle of something, so I don't want to turn it off).

I had 280 coins the other day. Just spent them all on Street Pass Puzzle pieces because reasons. Never know what else to do with the coins. I'll probably be stuck at the 300 coin cap unable to get rid of them once I've gotten those last 20ish puzzle pieces.

The point of the Play Coins in first place is to get people walking as many days as possible. The idea itself sounds great on paper, but it's ultimately dragged down by the arbitrarily strict daily cap. It's incredibly easy to hit 1,000 steps (10 Play Coins), since you only have to walk for a bit less than a kilometer. By the time you get about 2+ StreetPass tags from any place that isn't a gaming convention or Japan, you would've already reach the limit.

Way to go on defeating the premise of Play Coins, Nintendo!

This. I don't even really think about them. If I carried it around literally everywhere with me I could get the daily 10 coins pretty quickly without even leaving the house. Leaving the house for coins is overkill.

Last edited:
I have 300 of them and I let my 3DS in sleep mode to get them easilly.
I love to get exclusive furniture in New Leaf from Fortune Cookies.

They are so annoying to get. I rarely go out, and when I do I don't have time to carry my 3Ds with me. So I have to shake my 3Ds to get the coins, and that makes me nervous I will break it. It wouldn't be so bad if I actually went out, but I can't so it makes things so hard.

when I do I don't have time to carry my 3Ds with me

You don't have time to slip your 3DS into your pocket and leave it there for the day? lol

I take mine to work, and when I get home I have about 68000+ steps recorded. Of course, there is a cap on coins per day, so...

I always have max because I used to take it with me everywhere and never spend them lmao I've got about 280 right now

I feel somewhat neutral about Play Coins. I kind of like that they exist because they're used for the fortune cookies in New Leaf, but that's not a very strong point in their favor because that function could have been utilized through some other method.

I'm not really a fan of bringing my 3DS around to accumulate the coins through steps because I don't want to expose my 3DS to any risk of damage. I figure the shaking from walking might knock things loose and lead to internal wear and tear if given enough time. That's my main theory as to why my Midnight Purple 3DS malfunctioned a couple years ago which led to me having to replace it.

Overall I don't dislike that Play Coins exist, but I would prefer if there was a secondary way to earn them instead of using your 3DS as a pedometer. Maybe there could have been a mini-game you could play each day to earn Play Coins instead of just having mini-games to spend them on.

Last edited:
They're definitely a pain but I don't mind them. I mean, it's basically free stuff. But when I have to keep manually switching my 3DS date back in forth because I'm too impatient to get my Therian Lando/Thundurus/Tornadus in Pokemon Dream Radar, then I get annoyed.

Back