• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Are single Amiibo cards even remotely worth £16?

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
Before you judge me, I know I dun goofed.

So just now I was TTing to March 1st, cause that's when the Princess Series is sold in GracieGrace, right? So I got Julian from someone (bless their soul, I owe them a kidney if they need one) but I lost Julian from being too risky with time-travel, cause I didn't learn from Blanche apparently. I know I should've been careful, but still. It stings. My little heart stings.

I decided to go on eBay to get an Amiibo card reader (because, if I'm correct, Amiibo move-ins override the 16-villager cycle?) and a Julian card so whenever he does move out on me I just scan him back in, right? Wrong. ?67 for card reader, ?16 for Julian card. My bank account is never going to see that much money in my entire life ;-;.

Is that really and logically how much single Amiibo cards go for? Why? Maybe I'll never understand...

(If this isn't the right place I'm sorry, but I don't need the card reader and card for HHD so I didn't think it was appropriate to post it there.)

Last edited:
Amiibo cards are only worth however much you're willing to pay. I personally dont think it's worth that much, though. I also don't like buying off of scalpers. You can try trading cards on the forums here to get the ones you want, but you'd have to buy some packs first so you have cards to trade. If you only intend on having Julian and no other cards, then maybe you should buy the card anyway. It sucks but it's less stress and worry than trying to find it through trades. But the reader is most definitely not worth that much. I got mine for $20 Canadian. Make sure you're not buying it off of a shady person because I've never seen a legit retailer sell it for that much before.

Sorry if my response is unclear. I'm on mobile and it's hard to post through my phone :(

Last edited:
Amiibo cards are only worth however much you're willing to pay. I personally dont think it's worth that much, though. I also don't like buying off of scalpers. You can try trading cards on the forums here to get the ones you want, but you'd have to buy some packs first so you have cards to trade. If you only intend on having Julian and no other cards, then maybe you should buy the card anyway. It sucks but it's less stress and worry than trying to find it through trades. But the reader is most definitely not worth that much. I got mine for $20 Canadian. Make sure you're not buying it off of a shady person because I've never seen a legit retailer sell it for that much before.

Sorry if my response is unclear. I'm on mobile and it's hard to post through my phone :(

It's okay! They're only selling internationally (one American seller and one Canadian seller), the American one being ?30.50 (?14.50 was shipping, add on ?16 which is 37.11 US $) and the Canadian one was about ?18.

Thing is, I don't actually have that much money in my bank account x.x especially since card readers go from over ?40. Guess I'll be saving up for a while.. Thanks anyway!

Between some scalpers being ridiculous and the fact that you're paying so much for a single card... save your money if you don't have a steady stream of income/disposable funds for non-essentials. You can either pay someone here for Julian from a cycle town or just wait out the 16 villager cycle to get him back. If you're not going to be careful with TT-ing to keep your villagers, then maybe you should have patience and refrain.

Between some scalpers being ridiculous and the fact that you're paying so much for a single card... save your money if you don't have a steady stream of income/disposable funds for non-essentials. You can either pay someone here for Julian from a cycle town or just wait out the 16 villager cycle to get him back. If you're not going to be careful with TT-ing to keep your villagers, then maybe you should have patience and refrain.

I know I'm going to have to wait the 16 villager cycle, because I don't have money to spend on things I don't need, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'm trying to complete series 3 of Amiibo, so far I've been lucky only paying $3 for singles so far (Bam, Rooney). I'm not sure I want to buy Marshal though, because he was going for $12 minimum and that one was sold quick.

I have a bunch of really rare amiibo cards that I don't plan on using. I should totally sell them lol.

Heck no! I had the opportunity to buy marshals for $1.70 yesterday!! I have Julian's card, if your interested you can lmk when you cycle 16 villagers. and if you have more than 2 cards I know you can move both in and out 16 times (not each) to add to the cycle. :)

Heck no! I had the opportunity to buy marshals for $1.70 yesterday!! I have Julian's card, if your interested you can lmk when you cycle 16 villagers. and if you have more than 2 cards I know you can move both in and out 16 times (not each) to add to the cycle. :)

I don't even have a reader lol, they're expensive too x.x Thing is, I'm really happy with the villagers I have (EXCEPT GIGI) so it's gonna take me a while to get him through the cycle T-T

forestyne - are you in the UK?
Well the reader is currently approx. ?17 on Amazon (sold by Amazon), the other place to look for readers (tho I haven't checked) is Nintendo UK store - they have in the past added a reader in for free (when buying an old version 3ds xl, getting rid of stock) - but its deals every so often, not all the time. And possibly Symths toys. ?17 is not much over the odds (I've never seen them individually for sale under ?15)

For the card - see the card as a long term project - just keep looking, but I wouldn't pay ?16, he's just a villager & apart from looks he is the same as all other smugs.
He may come up for sale/trade on the boards ie a player has him in boxes, and you can post you are looking for him & the card may come up for trade on the boards as well.
Be at 9 villagers so you are ready for him!

Whaaaat, ?67 for an NFC Reader?! I bought mine from Sainsbury's for like ?17!

Also Amiibo card prices seem to differ quite a lot on eBay... I remember I was bidding on Fauna, but lost out because the price reached around ?20. The next day somebody put a Fauna card under "Buy It Now" for ?6! So I'm glad I didn't bid higher on that first one. It's a waiting game with eBay, but just pay whatever feels right to you.

Definitely not. The thing that frustrates me more than the scalpers is that people are willing to buy the cards from them at the outrageous prices. That's what encourages the acalpets to continue. Thing is, at this point, since Nintendo sucks so bad at keeping up stock of products, it's basically paying scalpers or not getting cards ever.

They're not worth that much unless there's some sort of rarity to certain cards. But I can see them reaching those prices when people sell them individually for those that are popular villagers.

Honestly I'm more pissed about how hard to come by and expensive amiibo cards are here in Europe especially since we get the 3-card pack rip-off.

Personally I feel that under certain circumstances it can be worth it to buy the individual card. I have bought a couple, but that was because they were Villagers I wanted very badly in my town, and I didn't spent more than $7 on one card.
I was originally trying to just get the villagers through buying amiibo card packs, but after a while with no luck, the cost built up way too quickly.
I look at it this way; you can spend $24 on 4 packs of cards and probably not get who you're looking for, or you can spend the $17 and get the one you wanted. After I collected the villagers I wanted the most I stopped buying card packs.
Trading is definitely the better option though if you can find someone willing.

No offense but I don't think that last part was really necessary. :/

I'm sorry, which part of my OP upset you? None of my original post was intended to upset Amiibo card collectors and I don't believe there is wording in my post that did, but I can't learn from mistakes and criticism if you just tell me, passive-aggressively, "that last part wasn't necessary". That's not helping me improve my post.

Next time, saying "hey, this last part where you said "blah blah blah" wasn't necessary and quite rude, could you refrain from saying that next time?" would be easier, would help me improve the quality of my posts and would be more polite. And no offence is instantly offensive.

- - - Post Merge - - -

forestyne - are you in the UK?
Well the reader is currently approx. ?17 on Amazon (sold by Amazon), the other place to look for readers (tho I haven't checked) is Nintendo UK store - they have in the past added a reader in for free (when buying an old version 3ds xl, getting rid of stock) - but its deals every so often, not all the time. And possibly Symths toys. ?17 is not much over the odds (I've never seen them individually for sale under ?15)

For the card - see the card as a long term project - just keep looking, but I wouldn't pay ?16, he's just a villager & apart from looks he is the same as all other smugs.
He may come up for sale/trade on the boards ie a player has him in boxes, and you can post you are looking for him & the card may come up for trade on the boards as well.
Be at 9 villagers so you are ready for him!

Thank you! To be honest, when I wrote this post, I hadn't done much digging into it other than seeing the prices on eBay and coming onto here. I will definitely look into it! My bank account literally has ?9. but I might be getting a refund on some plugs I ordered so I could scrape enough funds to buy one.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Whaaaat, ?67 for an NFC Reader?! I bought mine from Sainsbury's for like ?17!

Also Amiibo card prices seem to differ quite a lot on eBay... I remember I was bidding on Fauna, but lost out because the price reached around ?20. The next day somebody put a Fauna card under "Buy It Now" for ?6! So I'm glad I didn't bid higher on that first one. It's a waiting game with eBay, but just pay whatever feels right to you.

I couldn't find one without HHD (which is a game I'm personally not interested in at the moment) which explained the high price. And I'll be honest, I didn't do much research ;-;

I'm just going to wait it out. I may buy some cards so I can trade in the future, but I don't financially have the money for that at the moment. I didn't really have a use for an Amiibo reader/cards (and probably still don't) so there's bits of paying ?30.50 for a single card that seems insane to me.

Last edited:
aren't the card readers cheaper in store than online wherever you live?? i bought my sister one for her birthday in august and it wasn't that expensive. I live in Canada so that might be why it's a different price.

As for the cards themselves, it's kinda like regular amiibo. People selling Robin amiibos for like $60 online because lots of people want them, but I would never spend that much on an amiibo, especially since I might find one in store for regular price just by chance.

aren't the card readers cheaper in store than online wherever you live?? i bought my sister one for her birthday in august and it wasn't that expensive. I live in Canada so that might be why it's a different price.

As for the cards themselves, it's kinda like regular amiibo. People selling Robin amiibos for like $60 online because lots of people want them, but I would never spend that much on an amiibo, especially since I might find one in store for regular price just by chance.

Probably, yeah. I haven't needed a card reader or Amiibo cards cause I don't have HHD or needed them for New Leaf up until now, I might save up for a bundle. I just found it weird that people sold them that high, even though it's just a card ;-; I guess I don't see eye-to-eye with collectors, but I respect that people are into it. Just... ?30...

(I can't judge, I have a problem with collecting K.K Slider songs and furniture sets. I've lost 2 Dreamies collecting the Princess Series.)

Back