Desperately need inspiration for my town!

ali.di.magix

๐ŸŒŸ Semi-hiatus ๐ŸŒŸ
Party Animals ๐Ÿฅณ
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
4286-9543-9212
Splat Easter Egg
Turquoise Squid Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Green Star Fragment
Pink Star Fragment
Goomba
Invader
Pinky
Kaleidoclover
Kaleidoclover
Hello everyone!

I've had my town for a while now, but have only taken decorating my town seriously over the last couple of months. I've started doing a bit of decorating, making my PWP placement better, planting bushes/hybrids etc. and I've recently redone my paths.

But I really need some help on what to do with the free space in my town. It would be great if some of ya'll could visit my dream address, 7B00-0010-0B7D, and have a little tour of my town to get the idea of what the layout is like. I'll make a list of stuff I need help on:

- I'm not sure what to do next to my town hall, since I have a rather small space on either side of my town hall. I don't know whether I should just plant trees/hybrids there or put a something small there.

- I'm sorta developing a park area between Rodeo's and Ankha's houses, so if you have any ideas of what else I could add there, that would be great

- That little area near Li-Li's house, should I keep it?

- What to do around my paths...I've got a lot of bush starts that I was going to put around my paths. But should I put them all together in a row or should I alternate between bushes and hybrids? I've trialed both around the plaza and near the train station

- What to put in the massive space that's undeveloped; the south-eastern side of my town

Also, none of my PWP's are really in permanent spaces, I'm always rearranging them so if you have a better idea of where to put my current PWP's that would be much appreciated.

I'm not really looking for a critique, but I'd love any feedback on my town :blush:

Thanks for your time! :D

Last edited:
Bump ~
I know it's a lot of reading but I'd really appreciate some feedback :)

First off your path is absolutely amazing!!!
Are you going to keep your town a winter theme?

First thing that I did notice is your bridge and arch are a little out of sync on the east (just by a square, but it is noticeable).
Maybe the zen pool area could have some blue and white flowers near the back of it, just to make it stand out a little more.

Maybe some more trees near the town hall it looks a little bare.
Li-Li's house looks nice with the perfect orange trees, the fountain and clock looks nice as well with the exception of the water path. It just looks a little strange having two separate water paths connected like that.

With that much free space down the bottom the only thing I can think of is an orchid.
Seriously though I really love the path and the main square being separated with the bushes before the main path is also really cool!

First off your path is absolutely amazing!!!
Are you going to keep your town a winter theme?

First thing that I did notice is your bridge and arch are a little out of sync on the east (just by a square, but it is noticeable).
Maybe the zen pool area could have some blue and white flowers near the back of it, just to make it stand out a little more.

Maybe some more trees near the town hall it looks a little bare.
Li-Li's house looks nice with the perfect orange trees, the fountain and clock looks nice as well with the exception of the water path. It just looks a little strange having two separate water paths connected like that.

With that much free space down the bottom the only thing I can think of is an orchid.
Seriously though I really love the path and the main square being separated with the bushes before the main path is also really cool!

Thank you very much for your feedback :blush:

Yeah, that bridge and arc have always been out of sync, but I don't think I can fix it. It's always going to be too far to the left or right I think...I've always contemplated demolishing it so this might be the last straw to do so :p I don't know why I built it there in the first place lol

Blue and white flowers sounds good! Did you like the placement of the zen pool or do you reckon it's too close to the river and could be put somewhere else? I've also contemplated moving it somewhere else.

Yeah I agree with the town hall. I thought of putting a small PWP around there but then it might look overcrowded then...There use to be a villagers house right in that space so I'm not used to it being a free space lol

I'm glad you like the paths :blush: I'm really happy with them too. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it winter themed...I'm going to see what it looks like in Spring/Summer first before I decide lol The paths definitely suit winter though!

I wish I could help :( I'm rather terrible at decorating my town. Having said that, I sometimes have bad OCD so at the moment my town looks ugly and I'd SO like to have it look so much nicer but like, haven't really had anyone locally who plays AC:NL to take control over my console for a while to help decorate hehe.

I reckon that like AC:NL should incorporate an update so that you can give others administrative powers so they can do things to your town like place items/paths/decorating and so forth. Would make my life so much easier.

I wish I could help :( I'm rather terrible at decorating my town. Having said that, I sometimes have bad OCD so at the moment my town looks ugly and I'd SO like to have it look so much nicer but like, haven't really had anyone locally who plays AC:NL to take control over my console for a while to help decorate hehe.

I reckon that like AC:NL should incorporate an update so that you can give others administrative powers so they can do things to your town like place items/paths/decorating and so forth. Would make my life so much easier.

I'm also very terrible at decorating, especially when it comes to landscaping haha.

And yeah, it would be so helpful if people could put down paths in other towns. It would get the job done twice as fast and people could communicate their ideas that the owners hadn't thought of. Plenty of people would love to help out with laying paths. Maybe in the next AC haha.

โ€ขโ—Boopadoodleโ—โ€ข

Thanks for helping with bumping ^^

Bumping again ~

hey hon! went ahead and took a-lookdee-doo around and got some thoughts for you.

i think you do a great job with your paths, creating set plots for each house/object to be. i love the encircling of the water so many places, it really gives a standard feel to the place. i also really liked the main path next to the town hall running vertically. it's simple but seems impressive. the paths are wicked and i love the pascal sign lmfaoo.

the biggest problem that i can see, though, is lack of cohesion. the town doesn't give off a particular vibe other than a bit modernized and empty. i know having a theme can be frustrating, but i think picking a direction and building with it would really help. additionally, i'm not sure if you're set on your villager placements, but part of the reason the empty space may feel so insurmountable is that all the villager houses are sequestered against the river and cliffs. it puts them out of the way maybe, but also feels a bit awkward and difficult to design around. with regards to ways to fill that space, i liked the use of hybrids in a pattern around bushes such as the one down by the pascal sign, but again i think repetition and consistency are your friends here.

ultimately i think the key to a really spot on town is Solid Direction. what might be helpful is to start from the base of: what do you most want your town to feel like. and everything - houses, landscaping, paths, even the timing and weather of the dream - after that should build to it.

with what you've got now, i think a bright morning, seaside town might be an option - focusing on all that water you've got everywhere, adding some more water pwp, maybe making the water path that's encircling everything actually run throughout the whole town, connected. alternatively, maybe you want a clean park type town that utilizes those empty spaces - you could turn that big area into an outdoor sculpture garden, with plotted off sections for each art pwp, etc.

that's just how i would go about it though. some more specific ideas are to make sure that the flow of the town works. with the park, i sorta felt lost, because it was like the pwp were just there, rather than in a specific arrangement. also, adding lots of trees! people don't realize but adding trees creates dimension bc without it, its just a flat plane of a town. also try to connect all the pieces with paths, if you want people to go there.

anyways, i think you've got a really good start! this is honestly the first winter town i have visited and gone, okay, yeah, i like this. so you've already convinced me you can do it ;)

best of luck hon and lemme know if you wanna bounce any more ideas around!

hey hon! went ahead and took a-lookdee-doo around and got some thoughts for you.

i think you do a great job with your paths, creating set plots for each house/object to be. i love the encircling of the water so many places, it really gives a standard feel to the place. i also really liked the main path next to the town hall running vertically. it's simple but seems impressive. the paths are wicked and i love the pascal sign lmfaoo.

the biggest problem that i can see, though, is lack of cohesion. the town doesn't give off a particular vibe other than a bit modernized and empty. i know having a theme can be frustrating, but i think picking a direction and building with it would really help. additionally, i'm not sure if you're set on your villager placements, but part of the reason the empty space may feel so insurmountable is that all the villager houses are sequestered against the river and cliffs. it puts them out of the way maybe, but also feels a bit awkward and difficult to design around. with regards to ways to fill that space, i liked the use of hybrids in a pattern around bushes such as the one down by the pascal sign, but again i think repetition and consistency are your friends here.

ultimately i think the key to a really spot on town is Solid Direction. what might be helpful is to start from the base of: what do you most want your town to feel like. and everything - houses, landscaping, paths, even the timing and weather of the dream - after that should build to it.

with what you've got now, i think a bright morning, seaside town might be an option - focusing on all that water you've got everywhere, adding some more water pwp, maybe making the water path that's encircling everything actually run throughout the whole town, connected. alternatively, maybe you want a clean park type town that utilizes those empty spaces - you could turn that big area into an outdoor sculpture garden, with plotted off sections for each art pwp, etc.

that's just how i would go about it though. some more specific ideas are to make sure that the flow of the town works. with the park, i sorta felt lost, because it was like the pwp were just there, rather than in a specific arrangement. also, adding lots of trees! people don't realize but adding trees creates dimension bc without it, its just a flat plane of a town. also try to connect all the pieces with paths, if you want people to go there.

anyways, i think you've got a really good start! this is honestly the first winter town i have visited and gone, okay, yeah, i like this. so you've already convinced me you can do it ;)

best of luck hon and lemme know if you wanna bounce any more ideas around!

Hey hun <3 Thanks for replying to this thread! c:

Thanks for your comments on my paths. I do like my paths for the most part. And thanks for noticing my Pascal sign haha, not may people take much note of it so I'm glad you got the reference ^^

You're completely right about the lack of cohesion, and that's what I'm feeling about my town. When I started my town I didn't have a set theme in mind, I just looked at a couple of PWP's and thought "oh that's cool" and kinda put stuff everywhere lol. I don't want to restart, but I wish I had put more thought into it from the start. I'm so tempted to just demolish almost all my PWP's and start again with them. However I am determined to work with what I've got.

I didn't intend for my villagers to move where they are now haha, they all just seemed to be gravitated to the rivers and cliffs and that's unfortunately how it's turned out. I think Ankha, Rodeo and Pippy (and almost Maddie too) are in the most awkward places if you can remember where they are. I'm eventually going to move Rodeo out, probably going to try to reshuffle Ankha since I've got her card and as much as it breaks my heart, probably move Pippy out too. I know a lot more about villager plots since being here so I'll try to place them better.

As far as themes go, I've decided to go for a modern, classical town that has all the necessities if that makes sense haha. I'm just trying to think of PWP's that will fit that theme, and more importantly where to place them. I'm just very stuck on what to do with all the space in my town, in a lot of ways it feels like I don't have the space to do anything and then too spacious where I don't know what to do haha.

I'm going to add more trees, hybrids and such eventually, and I did think of putting a lot more water paths around, but I feel like the're kinda the last things I would do. I would rather get all the PWP's and villager's houses placed permanently and then try to work around that (with keeping in mind landscaping of course).

I guess it really doesn't help that I'm impatient and want to get things right first off, rather than trialing different things. But I'm just feeling very overwhelmed on the work my town needs right now haha.

Thanks for all your helpful comments Di, I truly appreciate it <33

yeah, no problem hon โ™ก

that's super fair. i would say then, make your major paths first and lay them out how you want them to go. that gives you a base to work with and cuts through that blank space to create more order and purpose

Back