• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Things Kids Thought Were Cool

Those silly band things. They were these colorful rubber bands that were in the shape of different animals. People were so OBSESSED WITH THEM!

Also skating. (and drugs .-.)

Last edited:
Naruto running to class/ outside, owning a GAMECUBE OOOH, having ~your own computer~, slap bracelets
yeah

hah..haha at one point the kids in elementary thought it was real cool to start biting each other.

I remember a long while back, teens and young adults started wearing pacifiers as necklaces. It would hang around their necks, and they would sometimes suck on it like a baby. Some famous rapper started it ( I think). And I remember my sister got a Barbie that came with a pacifier on a chain to wear on her neck. I guess it was the new cool thing to do. Lol.

Anyone else remember this?

Pokemon
Brittany Spears
DDR
Getting the square pizza at lunch
-later getting the square pizza and patting the oil off with a napkin
Eating only fries for lunch
Convincing other people to buy your lunch for you

I remember a long while back, teens and young adults started wearing pacifiers as necklaces. It would hang around their necks, and they would sometimes suck on it like a baby. Some famous rapper started it ( I think). And I remember my sister got a Barbie that came with a pacifier on a chain to wear on her neck. I guess it was the new cool thing to do. Lol.

Anyone else remember this?

Yes!! I had those pacifiers. Hahaha!

Trapper keepers, garbage pail kids stickers/cards, scratch and sniff stickers, Lisa frank, Swatch's pop swatch, Sanrio, bow biters, marvel cards..

- - - Post Merge - - -

Naruto running to class/ outside, owning a GAMECUBE OOOH, having ~your own computer~, slap bracelets
yeah

Hahaha! I still see kids run like this!

The kids in my middle school thought carrying baby bottles with them were cool.
They would fill it up with soda, orange juice and even milk and drink out of them. lol

(NSFW?) I remember when I was in middle school, people used to wear those colored bracelets where a certain color determines what you would do with that person (if they broke the bracelet, IIRC).

I remember those. My school actually had banned them..But kids found ways of bringing them on school grounds.

Last edited:
having a phone was Super Cool when I was like 8. then it was super cool if you had a phone with a touch screen (like the bricky ones... not iphones or anything)
playing football/soccer idk if it was cool but if u were a boy and didnt do it u had a 0% chance of being cool
anything about love was cool and ppl would ask each other out all the time to be cool
and the obvious not wearing warm clothes in winter. ppl would go outside in their crocs in 3 dm snow like wtf

I live in Colorado, and I think the wearing shorts in winter is still a thing. I see kids waiting for the bus in shorts and no coat all the time. My teen daughter says that lots of teens do that. It's freekin freezing. I don't know how they can stand it.

crocs and wrist bands

oh and recently, preteens wearing thrasher shirts/hoodies is getting really popular over here

Last edited:
Like in elementary school you were cool if you had have a relationship despite no one having one, ever.

Mood rings
Sex bracelets (me and my friends would constantly break each other's but never act on the things we were meant to do for them, we'd bite them into tiny pieces and spit them out, where we sat at milk and lunch break was COVERED in tiny colorful chunks of the bracelets...)
HOT TOPIC (we were the emo kids soooo)
cutting thumb holes into everything
coloring/writing on our converse and our jeans (I actually had autograph jeans one year since I didn't get a year book, and I like died inside in a good way when the older emo guy we all fawned over signed my ass)

Last edited:
Back