• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Job layoffs

nintendofan85

Good grief.
Bells
Switch
7144-2399-2801
Green Candy
Red Candy
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Ancient Candle
Pumpkin Cupcake
Voodoo Doll
Well, today, my dad was just laid off from his job.:( Apparently, the position he had held since 2013 was "no longer necessary" and the company is going through major restructuring.
Now, we've literally got $0 income after my dad's severance pay ends on March 3 as my mom hasn't had a job since August 2014. I'm really concerned right now, especially because I'm supposed to be starting college in a year and a half.:( Support and advice in this thread would be appreciated, thanks.

Hang in there.

Economy is on a rise.

Hopefully it says on a rise.

Well, today, my dad was just laid off from his job.:( Apparently, the position he had held since 2013 was "no longer necessary" and the company is going through major restructuring.
Now, we've literally got $0 income after my dad's severance pay ends on March 3 as my mom hasn't had a job since August 2014. I'm really concerned right now, especially because I'm supposed to be starting college in a year and a half.:( Support and advice in this thread would be appreciated, thanks.

I know it's not the best, but teller positions are almost always open. The hours are regular, the benefits pretty good, the pay livable in my experience. And really anyone can be a teller. If you can count even a little (and the computer even helps when doing transactions) you can get a job as a bank teller.

Other than that, have you tried looking for work yourself? I don't know how old you are, but I worked at a grocery store and Gamestop to pay my way through community college. Yeah it was only community college, but I'm pretty well off. I'm not in debt at all. In my opinion I don't see much point in going to a 4 year school (edit: right away) anyway. If you have the money to do that, great. If you don't, like I didn't, there's really no reason to put yourself into crippling debt over it right away.

Again, that's just my opinion and my experience. And I want to tell you that working and only getting my associates degree has worked out plenty well for me. I don't own anything fancy, but I get by and don't have to worry month to month whether I can pay my bills.

Last edited:
I know it's not the best, but teller positions are almost always open. The hours are regular, the benefits pretty good, the pay livable in my experience. And really anyone can be a teller. If you can count even a little (and the computer even helps when doing transactions) you can get a job as a bank teller.

Other than that, have you tried looking for work yourself? I don't know how old you are, but I worked at a grocery store and Gamestop to pay my way through community college. Yeah it was only community college, but I'm pretty well off. I'm not in debt at all. In my opinion I don't see much point in going to a 4 year school (edit: right away) anyway. If you have the money to do that, great. If you don't, like I didn't, there's really no reason to put yourself into crippling debt over it right away.

Again, that's just my opinion and my experience. And I want to tell you that working and only getting my associates degree has worked out plenty well for me. I don't own anything fancy, but I get by and don't have to worry month to month whether I can pay my bills.

Yeah, my dad is a software engineer and is trying to find new jobs, perhaps in other areas (I live in Mississippi but we may have to move as far as Washington state), but one of those jobs I know would be great just for temporary purposes, and I'm glad you shared them.
Yep, I'm considering getting my own job. Honestly, when my dad was still working, I had been considering getting a job, and this has only increased those thoughts. My mom doesn't want me working during the school year though, and the experiences some of my friends have had doing that make me see why.

Yeah, my dad is a software engineer and is trying to find new jobs, perhaps in other areas (I live in Mississippi but we may have to move as far as Washington state), but one of those jobs I know would be great just for temporary purposes, and I'm glad you shared them.
Yep, I'm considering getting my own job. Honestly, when my dad was still working, I had been considering getting a job, and this has only increased those thoughts. My mom doesn't want me working during the school year though, and the experiences some of my friends have had doing that make me see why.

It is hard to have a job, even a part time one, and try to focus on the education to fulfill your career. It's possible to do both but if you want to do both you need to be mentally prepared for it. I wasn't, though I did try in my first year of college, but even if no other drama happens in your life (in mine my parents divorced and my sister tried to commit suicide) you might still be at the end of your rope come the end of first semester. Understand your limits. Be willing to drop either work of school if trying to do both at once will only make you fail at both. But also know what your end goal is and work toward that as much as you possibly can while also relaxing and enjoying life since this is the only one you'll have.

It is hard to have a job, even a part time one, and try to focus on the education to fulfill your career. It's possible to do both but if you want to do both you need to be mentally prepared for it. I wasn't, though I did try in my first year of college, but even if no other drama happens in your life (in mine my parents divorced and my sister tried to commit suicide) you might still be at the end of your rope come the end of first semester. Understand your limits. Be willing to drop either work of school if trying to do both at once will only make you fail at both. But also know what your end goal is and work toward that as much as you possibly can while also relaxing and enjoying life since this is the only one you'll have.

I'm really appreciating this advice.:)
My goal is to at least work during the summer when I don't have stuff with band going on, which luckily takes up almost all of it. I wasn't planning on going to college out of state either, so at least that can keep tuition down.
Anyways, what do you suggest my dad can do though? He honestly doesn't feel like he has many options right now.

Last edited:
I'm really appreciating this advice.:)
My goal is to at least work during the summer when I don't have stuff with band going on, which luckily takes up almost all of it. I wasn't planning on going to college out of state either, so at least that can keep tuition down.
Anyways, what do you suggest my dad can do though? He honestly doesn't feel like he has many options right now.

I still have to say, at least to start, a bank teller. As a software engineer I figure he's more than a little competent using a computer in general (and usually an older model) and unfamiliar programs (like teller/banker systems). Again, it's not a wonderful job, but it pays well and has decent hours and benefits. Similar for public service/police type jobs. He could apply to be a police dispatcher, make really good money and essentially play a video game all day too if that's more up his alley.

Last edited:
I still have to say, at least to start, a bank teller. As a software engineer I figure he's more than a little competent using a computer in general (and usually an older model) and unfamiliar programs (like teller/banker systems). Again, it's not a wonderful job, but it pays well and has decent hours and benefits. Similar for public service/police type jobs. He could apply to be a police dispatcher, make really good money and essentially play a video game all day too if that's more up his alley.

Okay, sorry, I was just a little confused at first at what you said he could do and what I could do.:)
But yeah, I forgot to add that part of the reason tuition has really been scaring me right now is because I really want to be a lawyer, and of course, that requires tuition too. I'm just glad that my dad could have some temporary options.
Just so I can have some information (because I'm not kidding when I say this, I've never lived outside of Jackson, Mississippi), what can moving to a whole new area be like? Honestly, the idea bothers me because even though I honestly don't like living here in Mississippi, I'm currently a junior in high school and only have three months left in the school year and I wouldn't like having to leave my friends, especially since I'll be graduating in only fifteen months... I do accept it as what it is though, so please tell me, what advice can you give me?

You could always ask family/friends if they know a place that needs a software engineer. Ever since I've told the people around me that I'm finishing up a bachelor's degree in IT, people have been saying that they would be interested in having me work for them or that they know someone who would be interested.

Indeed.com is a good place to look for jobs in the local area too (I don't know where you live, so my suggestions may be limited).

Okay, sorry, I was just a little confused at first at what you said he could do and what I could do.:)
But yeah, I forgot to add that part of the reason tuition has really been scaring me right now is because I really want to be a lawyer, and of course, that requires tuition too. I'm just glad that my dad could have some temporary options.
Just so I can have some information (because I'm not kidding when I say this, I've never lived outside of Jackson, Mississippi), what can moving to a whole new area be like? Honestly, the idea bothers me because even though I honestly don't like living here in Mississippi, I'm currently a junior in high school and only have three months left in the school year and I wouldn't like having to leave my friends, especially since I'll be graduating in only fifteen months... I do accept it as what it is though, so please tell me, what advice can you give me?

I've lived in 4 different places the past ~5 years. I think it's great, although now I do want to settle down. I've gotten to where I want to be, physically, and I've learn a lot in my travels.

There is a lot of risk involved to be sure, I highly recommend saving up at least a few months rent to match the place you want to move to. It sucks to suck it up in a place you don't like, but better to suck it up now when things are familiar to you than taking on the burden of not only be in a new place but also learning how to act in a new environment.

Take your time but don't get lazy. Study and work but also relax. I can't really tell you much more than that. You have to ultimately do whatever feels right and works for you.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that you're under all this stress. Keep in mind that sometimes moments like this are a turning point. Your dad is a very smart man inner, he will find a new job and maybe it will be even better than the last. This could be a blessing in disguise. Keep your head up.

That's horrible, hopefully he'll be able to find a decent job to replace it.

The only layoff in my family was my sister, she worked at a coffee shop and a video store in the same court and she was literally on her way to work at the video store and she looked across and saw her co-worker packing the coffee store up, she went and knocked on the door because it was locked and she came over and said that their boss said to close down the store and pack the stuff up. To all his other employees who were still on the schedule and thought they still had a job he just texted them all "have a nice summer" and they found out by showing up to an empty store. No severance no anything. It was pretty awful.

I'm sorry to hear that. On the brightside, at least your father has a skill that's high in demand. If he has contacts, he shouldn't have too much trouble landing another job.

I'm really concerned right now, especially because I'm supposed to be starting college in a year and a half.:( Support and advice in this thread would be appreciated, thanks.
Honestly, they shouldn't be footing the bill for your degree. You do realize you'd be putting them 50-100k in the hole, right(edit: 160k+ for law graduates)? Oh, and you can't default on student loans, which meaning they still have to pay for it even if they file for bankruptcy

I worked at a grocery store and Gamestop to pay my way through community college. Yeah it was only community college, but I'm pretty well off. I'm not in debt at all. In my opinion I don't see much point in going to a 4 year school (edit: right away) anyway. If you have the money to do that, great. If you don't, like I didn't, there's really no reason to put yourself into crippling debt over it right away.

^This. I highly recommend you knock out your electives in community college and then transfer to a 4-year university. You'll save some money and the years you spent in community college will not show up on your degree. Before you do this, make sure the credits are transferable. Also, make sure you go to an in-state college. Oh, and DON'T do board.

>"I live in Mississippi "
Oh wow, that sucks. Have you guys thought about moving to Florida or Texas? They're both hellholes, but they're close options and far more prosperous than Mississippi. If you guys are willing to travel far, Colorado and Washington sound like great options.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes151132.htm#st
https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes151133.htm#st

^this is pretty helpful

I really want to be a lawyer
No you don't. I think you have a very skewed view of what it's like to be a lawyer. You don't make nearly as much money as you think and the employment prospects aren't that great. For the most part, what I said above about community colleges only applies to degree outside of corporate America. If you don't get into a top-tier law school, you're screwed.

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-law-school-worth-the-money-2013-12
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/natalie-gregg/mamas-dont-let-your-babie_2_b_6457898.html

>"This law school graduate's answers are sobering. He attended a school that's one of the top 20 in the country, according to U.S. News and World Report, and yet he struggled to find decent work.These days, he makes $45,000 and has $200,000 in education debt. He lives with his parents in Virginia, doesn't have a car, and doesn't even date. In his free time, he does contract work to try to pay down his debt."

>"These days, he makes $45,000 and has $200,000 in education debt. He lives with his parents in Virginia, doesn't have a car, and doesn't even date. In his free time, he does contract work to try to pay down his debt."

>"If you absolutely must go to law school even given the barrage of negative economic data about the legal industry and law school grads, there are only three reasons to go to law school: (1) the law school you were accepted to is named Harvard, Yale, or Stanford; (2) you got a full or very nearly-full scholarship; or (3) you have a family member or close friend who can 100% guarantee you a secure lawyer position."

>"The national unemployment rate for law graduates has grown for the sixth year in a row to a whopping 15.5 percent, according to a report by the National Association for Law Placement. "

>"two out of every 2013 law school graduates is either unemployed or working in a job that has little to do with the fact that they went to law school."

Im just going to put this out there, but what about an investment? you could get a loan and start a business or something? it might not work out but you gotta take risks sometimes!

No you don't. I think you have a very skewed view of what it's like to be a lawyer. You don't make nearly as much money as you think and the employment prospects aren't that great. For the most part, what I said above about community colleges only applies to degree outside of corporate America. If you don't get into a top-tier law school, you're screwed.

http://www.businessinsider.com/is-law-school-worth-the-money-2013-12
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/natalie-gregg/mamas-dont-let-your-babie_2_b_6457898.html

>"This law school graduate's answers are sobering. He attended a school that's one of the top 20 in the country, according to U.S. News and World Report, and yet he struggled to find decent work.These days, he makes $45,000 and has $200,000 in education debt. He lives with his parents in Virginia, doesn't have a car, and doesn't even date. In his free time, he does contract work to try to pay down his debt."

>"These days, he makes $45,000 and has $200,000 in education debt. He lives with his parents in Virginia, doesn't have a car, and doesn't even date. In his free time, he does contract work to try to pay down his debt."

>"If you absolutely must go to law school even given the barrage of negative economic data about the legal industry and law school grads, there are only three reasons to go to law school: (1) the law school you were accepted to is named Harvard, Yale, or Stanford; (2) you got a full or very nearly-full scholarship; or (3) you have a family member or close friend who can 100% guarantee you a secure lawyer position."

>"The national unemployment rate for law graduates has grown for the sixth year in a row to a whopping 15.5 percent, according to a report by the National Association for Law Placement. "

>"two out of every 2013 law school graduates is either unemployed or working in a job that has little to do with the fact that they went to law school."

That second article did state this:
"Who should accept such a challenge?

People who want to change other people’s lives;
People who cherish a civil society;
People who want to defend justice and fight for equality;
People who want to work really hard and accept that justice is relative."
That describes me. And honestly, I don't want to be a lawyer forever. I want to go into politics someday.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Im just going to put this out there, but what about an investment? you could get a loan and start a business or something? it might not work out but you gotta take risks sometimes!

My mom has actually proposed this and I think that would be a good idea. I mean, people always need software engineers, right?

Mississippi isn't really a state that's overflowing with software engineering jobs. Your dad could still do it there, but most likely he'd have to find a job that would allow him to work from home.

Most likely, it would be easier for him to find a job outside of the state though. And, honestly, he'd probably get paid more if you guys did move. But if you did move, you'd also run into the problem of higher cost of living. The south is a cheap place to live housing-wise. Housing gets a lot more expensive in Washington State, California, the Maryland/Virginia/DC area, etc. Those are all states that have a very high number of tech jobs, but it costs more to live in. However, if your dad knows his stuff, tech jobs in those areas can also easily pay in the 6 figures (over $100k).

He needs to put together a resume and start looking for jobs on places like Monster.com if he hasn't already.

That's an awful idea. What are they going to do if it tanks?

That second article did state this:
"Who should accept such a challenge?

People who want to change other people?s lives;
People who cherish a civil society;
People who want to defend justice and fight for equality;
People who want to work really hard and accept that justice is relative."
Here's a more important question you should ask yourself: do you think you have the grades and the scores to get into a top-tier school? If so, apply to these schools when you graduate

• University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law in Berkeley, California
  • Columbia Law School in New York, New York
  • Cornell Law School in Ithaca, New York
  • Duke University School of Law in Durham, North Carolina
  • Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, DC
  • Harvard Law School in Cambridge, Massachusetts
  • New York University School of Law in New York, New York
  • Northwestern University School of Law in Chicago, Illinois
  • Stanford Law School in Palo Alto, California
  • University of Chicago Law School in Chicago, Illinois
  • University of Michigan Law School in Ann Arbor, Michigan
  • University of Pennsylvania Law School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • University of Virginia School of Law in Charlottesville, Virginia
  • Yale Law School in New Haven, Connecticut

If you can't get into any of these, then you're out of luck. You have to keep in mind the field's crowded. If you can't distinguish yourself from the rest, you're screwed.

My mom has actually proposed this and I think that would be a good idea. I mean, people always need software engineers, right?
Does she even have anything in mind?

That describes me. And honestly, I don't want to be a lawyer forever. I want to go into politics someday.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're definitely not getting into politics. You have to have connections to get into that.

Chatte, while the concern is appreciated, it's pretty clear that nintendofan is not looking for what you're offering.

Nintendofan, I had an idea while I was out shopping this morning. Have you considered looking to work for a local law firm? Even if it's only desk work it will still be a foot into the career you're thinking about. You'll get to learn at least a little of what it might be like to be a lawyer yourself even if you aren't doing that work directly from the start plus you'll get a better idea if the work is right for you.

I would highly recommend researching anyone you might consider working for to make sure you're learning good practices rather than learning from a potential fraudster - I know in Colorado if a lawyer needed to pay fines it's public knowledge that you can easily find with a simple google search for their name. If it's different in Mississippi maybe ask your parents what they know about local lawyers and choose to work for whoever you think is best or at very worst just whoever will hire you. Even poor experience is still experience in the field and will look great on your resume when you do become a lawyer.

That's an awful idea. What are they going to do if it tanks?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're definitely not getting into politics. You have to have connections to get into that.

No need to be so pessimistic :p Definitely understand why you say what you did though so dont worry, but...
Investing isn't an awful idea if you know what to look for and how. It's usually a big misconception that if you invest you will lose everything. You have to give up the fear of "what if it does bad?" and start considering safe options that may not pay as much, but wont make you lose everything you own, if anything. It's easy to find safe ways to invest!
They're great especially later in life, when you may need it for perhaps a house, retirement, or your own kid's futures too. Granted you may not strike it rich, if you're confident enough, you should definitely at least consider investing. Perhaps try looking up options that would be good for you, OP, such as bonds, CDs, etc. Stocks are kind of tricky. Also investments dont pay up right away. They usually take a few years to pay off but they're worth it. Its not good to invest if you're looking for money right NOW but if you dont mind investing now so that in the future you can have a good financial safety net, then definitely do it :) My economics teacher has invested several times before and he has made a decent amount of cash from it. He did stocks I believe but he may have also done bonds at some point. Just gotta do what you think is safest for you and what youre most confident in.

And no, politics doesn't need "connections" as if politics is supremely tight knit. I mean, yes you need to KNOW people, but you dont have to be super buddy with Trump and the entire cabinet to get into it. It's not like being an heir to the throne. You just have to start small. Join local tea parties, republicans or democrats, whatever you prefer. Get your name out there but dont act desperate. Work for local campaigns, attend local meetings (if youre allowed) and get familiar with the people around you. Networking is your best bet.
Also if you do plan to do politics, before you do anything, clear out ANY social media you have. Twitter, FB, clean it entirely and make yourself look professional as possible. Nobody will trust a city in the hands of someone who posts memes 24/7 and only plays video games (not saying that you do :p Just an example!)
My English teacher used to be into politics but she actually went to college for careers in education and government. (Don't ask why she's an english teacher, I have no idea.)
TL'DR: If you want to go into politics: "Make a name for yourself then run for local office in your 30s." -Some guy on reddit who probably knows a heck of a lot more than I do.

In the mean time, it may be best to get a part time job if you're available to. I didn't read somewhere if you said you couldn't, im sorry if thats the case :( If not, it's usually best just to do smaller jobs like... Shoveling driveways, mowing lawns, whatever. Something super small that people may be OK with, especially for older folks who can't do it themselves. It wont get you mad stacks but it'll get you some cash :)
I heard a while ago that Starbucks has some program for Arizona State University students if youre an employee with them but i'm not at all sure how that works or if you're even interested in that.
Also if you're for sure dedicated to college next year: Scholarships, scholarships, scholarships. It may be harder to get them if you're not in high school but look around anywhere and see what you can do. Some colleges may give scholarships for essays or even ridiculous stuff so just look and see what you can do. Grants as well. And if you need books and such, there's several sources online to find books and supplies cheap without having to pay a pretty penny. Renting is also a good idea.
http://lifehacker.com/5613591/the-complete-guide-to-getting-cheap-textbooks
Saving ANY money you get at this point should be a priority. Don't be afraid to be frugal.

And FINALLY on the topic of your dad: I'm so sorry to hear about that. My mom lost her job in 2012 and hasn't gotten a stable one since. I understand the pain. The best idea is just to apply wherever he can that provides a decent pay and working conditions. It's hard to get back into the working field after losing a job but he will get back on his feet eventually! As mentioned if you do need income of some sort, unemployment is a good option. Don't be embarrassed to accept the help, you need it! Luckily software engineering is a job thats definitely "in" (is that the right word? idk) and needed right now so hopefully he can be back in work soon. Keep your chin up and try not to stress too much!

*huffs* Sorry if this post is too long haha. Don't mean to strain your eyes.

Back