• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you feel guilty about time traveling?

StarrySkye3

Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
My Melody Easter Egg
Coco
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Ruby
Peach (Fruit)
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Tasty Cake
Mother's Day Carnation
Sakura Easter Egg
I am reconsidering selling my town and starting over. I can't help but feel like I cheated by TT so much so it makes me not as proud of my town as I could be. I just wanted the shops so I could get the bushes and then I also wanted mushrooms so I went back to October and collected mushrooms and came back again. Then another time I wanted the ice series and did the same thing. I feel guilty because I got the shops so soon and I only started this town about a month ago. I have never made a dream of my town so that was my goal, to make it as cool as possible and then do that. But now I am wondering if I should just start over and do it "right" this time! But then on the other hand, I'm pretty impatient and feel like I would lose interest if I didn't time travel... Idk!! Does anyone else ever feel guilty about that too?

Yes I feel like that all the time when I skip a day forward and then a day back because I feel bad for doing it. I guess its hard not to time travel when you need to get things done at a certain time of the year and even a certain time of the day... I always find myself time traveling to a time when the shops are open as I play the game way to late at night.
I don't know, if you like this town & you're happy with it for every reason apart from TT'ing... I don't think I would, if it was me, restart...because I bet I would be straight back to TT'ing.

I actually tend to feel way more cheaty when I buy things I know I wouldn't be able to get off this website - like 50 lucky clovers, or ABD's or amiibo items... but thats the only way I can see me getting what I "want" (not deserve? 0_0)

What matters is how you feel about your town and that's all that matters.

Leave the TT aspect to one side: are you happy with the layout you have, and the villagers.
The permanent PWP you have - do you like where they are?
I would make the decision as to reset based on this.

I change the time in acnl so that I can play every ingame day, I move slowly forward in time within the game, at a slower rate than real time. Shrug - I don't care what other players think of this, it makes a relaxing game I can play as & when I can.
You play differently to make the game enjoyable for you.

If you are thinking of selling your town to Nook, read this first as you have to have played a certain amount of time/have a town tree of a certain level before Nook will offer bells.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimalCrossing/comments/5auape/all_your_questions_about_selling_your_town/

If you like your town layout, then I'd keep it and work on it. If there are things you don't like or you fancy a fresh start - well then go for it, do what makes you happy.

Not really. I used to time travel a lot at first just because I was so excited to play more and you can only do so much in one day. As time went on I did that less and less, and right now I'm only playing one day at a time. But I do adjust the hour sometimes to whatever I want. Some people see it as cheating but it's really up to you to decide your play style.

Yeah.. I guess I feel guilty about it because I sat on the tree and it told me the timeline of everything opening, and it was all over the place haha. Plus my brother that got me in to AC made me feel guilty and said that "that's the point of the game" so I'm like grrrr shuttup. :p Other than that I like mostly everything about my town. I wish I would have put a few things in different spots but for the most part it's pretty good. Definitely the furthest I've ever gotten in a town. I just feel bad about it!

Last edited:
I don't mind if other people do it, I don't judge what people like to do to their own towns. With that being said, I have never time traveled because of guilt that would come with it personally.

Nope. I don't time travel to get items over and over or acquire special event items ahead of time. But I don't mind if other people do them. It's their game :)

I don't feel guilty when I time travel. I don't always play everyday, so when I am in the mood for Animal Crossing, I have specific goals I want to accomplish. Time travel just makes life easier on me. Everyone plays the game differently.

I don't, because I de time traveling in order to play every in-game day, so I'm not stressed if I can't play one day for some reason. I never use it to skip big chunks of time and unlock things, which I think probably would make me feel a bit unsatisfied. I also don't use it to obtain items or bells.

I don't feel guilty at all, I have always done it. Not much now that my town exterior and house interior is complete. There is still much to do that I don't time travel for like finishing the museum and collecting badges.
All of this aside, while time traveling you are still putting in your time into the game. The hours one works in the game does not seize to exists all because one was time traveling while doing it.

Nope, I actually enjoy the game more thanks to time travel.

The only times I ever have to time travel is when I'm trying to cycle out unwanted villagers so that my dreamies can move in. (sure this messes with my town tree records but I don't really care about that tbh)

I personally leave the in game date way before the real life date so I can take it slow. In game it's January 18th right now vs today (Feb. 3rd). This is so I don't feel stressed that I missed a day or forgot to check something. c:

(I tend to keep the game on a single day sometimes, too. The only time I do this is if I'm unable to play for more than one day. Before I head to bed, if my 3DS is around me, I rewind the date to 7am. I do the same the moment I wake up, just so I don't miss anything(like a villager wanting to move, etc.)

Last edited:
I've realised after many restarts and TT'ing in most of them that I just can't enjoy the game if I choose to TT. So now, no matter how tempting, I don't mess with the time. The only exception is for plot resetting but even then, I keep everything within the same day so I don't get any 'extras' out of it.

I've noticed a pattern that with towns that I've TT'd on I've quit playing far sooner, partly because I've achieved things much quicker and partly because knowing I've TT'd (i.e. cheated in my mind) doesn't hold the same attraction to keep playing for me. I kinda wish I wasn't like that, but I'm like it with all games; I like to play 100% legit and as intended by the devs.

nope. when you have like a hundred pieces of furniture to refurbish time traveling is kinda required (there's no way I'm waiting 30 mins for each item). i've also been playing too long to play without time traveling. it gets boring now if i do things day by day.

Only minor time travel doesn't make me guilt ridden, so at most I'll only travel 12 hours or less. It's also just too much work for me to go back and forth too many times so I would avoid the need to time travel as much as I could. Therefore, I don't time travel much at all to begin with and with just small time adjustments, it's hard to tell that my town was influenc'd by the almighty cosmic power of time travelin'.

I have 4 towns and I time travel in all of my towns. I have never felt an ounce of guilt for doing it. If I didn't TT I would get so bored and then probably quit playing.

Last edited:
No, and I don't consider it cheating either.
However I remember when I was younger my sister and I would make a deal that we'd never time travel, but one of us would be like **** it and go forward by years at some point.

Time travelling - while some may consider it cheating - only affects you, not the community at large. I say time travel if you wish or take things slow if you wish. If it were a game like say... Pokemon where cheating gave you an unfair advantage with PvP, then it would be easy to condemn someone's choice to do exploits, but AC isn't a game about competing and WiFi is usually social/cooperative.

So many different answers! I agree with TTing to make it more interesting, but right now my goal is to make my side character house complete so it has made it not fun to play at all because I need to keep going to Tom's, then the bank, and TT to the next day so I'm like ughh so over it. I think I'm also just bored of my town because I don't like the layout so much anymore. I'd have to get rid of my favs to re-do it and I just don't want to go through all that. So, for the heck of it I talked to Tom, and sold my town. I was thinking I'll only do it to check out other layouts, and I won't save if I don't get everything I want (favorite fruit, goos starting villagers, ect). Also Skye is my #1 favorite villager and I'm sooo sad to lose her if I sell my town. GUESS WHO I GOT??? Also got my favorite fruit and great town layout. I haven't saved it yet so I could still go back, but I think I might take this and roll with it because if ultimately I want to sell my town, there's no way it's going to work out for me this perfectly again haha. I will still TT, because I also think I will get bored if I don't, but I'll try not to just keep doing it over and over for just one goal like getting the max house. Thanks for helping me work through my thoughts!! ;)

Last edited:
Back