Do you feel guilty about time traveling?

It's time for storytime with Halle-chan. <3

So. I got the game back in July 2013. It was my first Animal Crossing game-- and to be quite frank, my expectations were very low. I didn't even want to play the game, but all my friends were trying it so I figured it was worth a shot. I got it and fell in love. Since it was my summer break at the time, I played for a shameful 8 hours a day. But I started getting kind of bored of the game eventually, even though it was still my favorite game to play. I was messing around with the game one day to figure out what it could *really* do, and viola. I discovered time travel. I skipped to all the seasons. While it was really July, I spent my time watching cherry blossoms float, rolling snowballs into snowmen, and shaking all the autumn trees. Yuuup. It provided me with a good hour or two of fun, but when all my favorite villagers started moving out, weeds started growing, and I got one of those gross rafflesias, I kind of realized, hey, maybe I should stop this. I switched the date back to normal and kept playing, but I continually felt bad for doing what I did.

I haven't time traveled since then. Tl;dr I feel AWFUL about my time traveling. it makes me sick. I wish I didn't do it. The end.

It's time for storytime with Halle-chan. <3

So. I got the game back in July 2013. It was my first Animal Crossing game-- and to be quite frank, my expectations were very low. I didn't even want to play the game, but all my friends were trying it so I figured it was worth a shot. I got it and fell in love. Since it was my summer break at the time, I played for a shameful 8 hours a day. But I started getting kind of bored of the game eventually, even though it was still my favorite game to play. I was messing around with the game one day to figure out what it could *really* do, and viola. I discovered time travel. I skipped to all the seasons. While it was really July, I spent my time watching cherry blossoms float, rolling snowballs into snowmen, and shaking all the autumn trees. Yuuup. It provided me with a good hour or two of fun, but when all my favorite villagers started moving out, weeds started growing, and I got one of those gross rafflesias, I kind of realized, hey, maybe I should stop this. I switched the date back to normal and kept playing, but I continually felt bad for doing what I did.

I haven't time traveled since then. Tl;dr I feel AWFUL about my time traveling. it makes me sick. I wish I didn't do it. The end.

I think we have our next Spider-Person hero in the makin'!
With great power comes great responsibility. :cool:

Not at all tbh, because I'm sick often and have long bouts of insomnia I'm hardly ever awake during decent hours, so TT is the only way I can actually have my town awake when I am and get to play through days I missed.

And I think it's a cool concept to have a town that's awake while life around you is awake but really, what good does that do gamers who have things to do during the day and play games at night?

I'm not for or against TT. I don't TT. I understand about wanting to get things quick and my thinking on it is ... Enjoy the journey because when you get to the end of all the accomplishments, you're done. Enjoy working for things no matter how, but do it so you can feel good about it. ACNL is my happy place.

Me too c: I play it quite a lot. I don't think I'll ever finish though because I always change my mind on what I like, like the look of things. So I do demo and start all over again haha

I don't feel guilty, I just don't like to do it too much. I prefer the date and time to synchronize to the real worlds, but I don't beat myself up for going backwards and forwards a bit. ;)

I feel really guilty when I time travel because first of all, I wouldn't be talking to my villagers, and they could move, second I feel like it would be unfair to those people who don't time travel, lastly I feel like it would be much more a hassle to be updated with my town. This is why I talk to most of my villagers and do all my daily work before time travel again. And I only time travel 1-3 days ahead, and 1-3 days back. :3

Not at all. I don't time travel anymore because of my villagers, but I used to jump around like that all the time and I never felt bad. If you want to time travel, there is nothing wrong with that. Play however you like and don't feel guilty

No I don't...because if you weren't supposed to time travel they wouldn't give it to us as an option. I don't see it as cheating...I see it as the way I play my game. I have done it since the game came out, however I just now got the golden shovel because I just now got into using fertilizer and landscaping and being serious about it. So, nope I don't feel bad at all. You shouldn't reset your town just because you feel bad. I think you should get a second copy and play it with no TTing. :)

Nope. It helps me get more done in a day. That sounds like a bad thing but not necessarily because it means that I know what I want to do, and if I didn't tt I would forget what I was doing and mess it up.

No the only times are when I have fallen behind and jump to IRL time and missed a ton of birthdays then it gets me a little but generally not. I have 8 towns and one new year one but honestly I want it to start on the first but now 2 months into the year almost I'd have to literally do New Years through my bday 1/12 quickly then jump to Groundhog, Valentine's and keep moving. Or I start it on Valentine's but I really did want to do the full year but I have other towns and they'd get left behind by a few months if I tried catching up day to day...I am not sure when it comes to that, I made an awful mistake once and made my main characters birthday different than mine and no fun. I only really think about it when it is a new town and it's been a few years since did one and that's the one being reset as life just got busy so it's sitting a year and months behind anyway. Typically though no I don't mind or even the, being in a different season but that may be due to having multiples but toting doesn't bother me at all. I do wish the town tree actually left the whole towns history like past villagers I do not like my tree being out of whack or seeing so and so moved in on date ahead from next event and knowing that it's a tt tree lol but in general no I just wish I had had time to start the new town on New year.

I don't feel guilty about TTing nor do I consider it cheating. I've played through to completed towns enough times in the past few years (all of which I eventually reset) that I prefer to fast-forward through a few things here and there. Plus, I tend to pick dates in the past when I do reset my town so I can get my TT-itch out of the way by the time I catch up to RL date/time.

Nah, I used to feel guilty though when I started playing Animal Crossing New Leaf around 2014-2015 because other people gave me a hard time for doing that. Eventually, I started giving less of a kahoots to what people say and I haven't stopped time traveling since. c:

I used to not like time traveling whatsoever and thought it was cheating. I started doing it a little bit (forward a day and back a day) just when new villagers would be moving in, but now that I've restarted (since I hadn't played for years), I'm doing it a bit more, primarily for having villagers move out.

I haven't time traveled before, but would probably feel guilty if I did. :/ My advice is, just enjoy your game as long as you can before it 'burns' out. You don't need to rush it.

i wouldn't even TT back 1 hour yesterday just to buy turnips cuz i slept in. it's not really out of guilt though.

the fun of Animal Crossing, at least for me, is the journey. actually dealing with parts of your town that you don't like and want to improve. waiting and waiting for a villager to suggest a PWP that you want. painstakingly trying to breed hybrids on your own. dealing with neighbors you don't like (curse you Frank!).

the whole point of the game is to actually play the game. i don't want my town to be perfect because then there's nothing left to do really. but i still strive for perfection because that's the game. simulation games are supposed to be somewhat similar to real life. you can't cheat real life.

every time you get a villager you like, breed a pretty hybrid, or construct a PWP, you get one step closer to perfecting your town and you feel satisfied. i would get no joy if i was just given a perfect town at the start. there's a reason these types of games don't do that. AC was designed for you to start from nothing and work your way to the top because whether you wanna admit it or not, you get more fun out of it. you enjoy the grind. catching bugs and fishing. helping neighbors. planting trees. selling stuff. buying stuff. all of it. of course there are exceptions but generally if you want long term satisfaction from a game, you won't want to play any other way than the way that it was intended to be played (which means no TTing. why do you think Resetti yells at you for doing it?). i don't even like when people give me stuff for free and i can never say no. i even try to limit myself when trading for items i can not obtain in my town yet. the payoff is better if you wait it out.

so OP, i don't think it's really guilt you're feeling; just a lack of satisfaction. is TTing "cheating?" i guess not in the traditional sense but you are definitely cheating yourself out of your enjoyment of the game. when you get your dream town in a month how could you not feel like you TTed a little too much? i don't really see the point in continuing with that town. like honestly i don't even know what i'd do when my town is just the way i want it to be even without TTing or anything. doesn't sound like you're that thrilled about it either. i can guarantee you'll have more fun if you start over. besides, if you regret it, it'll only take you a month to get it back.

TL;DR- whether TTing is "cheating" or not is irrelevant. it's a scientifically proven fact that it makes the game less fun. they only let you TT because all the kids have ADD these days, not because they intended the game to be played that way.

I don't feel guilty when it makes me less anxious to plot reset or move the villagers in right away (through TT'ing) after scanning or inviting them from other town than waiting for the plot to come the next day.

Last edited:
I don't feel guilty when it makes me less anxious to plot reset or move the villagers in right away (through TT'ing) after scanning or inviting them from other town than waiting for the plot to come the next day.

Same. I don't TT to just play the game at a faster rate. I TT just to move in villagers or fix plots and that kind of thing. It stresses me out a bit if I don't just TT to make the plots/villagers the way I want asap.

In my first town I used to never TT. But since I sold it to Nook and restarted, then I decided to TT to unlock things and to make it the way I wanted pretty fast. My town is still not complete even if it looks pretty and has a lot of work put in it. Because even if I TT like crazy, believe me I spent many many hours on it! And had, and still have , lots of fun playing this game. TT doesn't make things easier, just faster! But still the most important thing is that you have fun. You're not cheating or scamming anyone so don't feel bad! You're just creating your perfect little far away fantasy town. I enjoy playing everyday in a pretty colorful town with my favorite villagers. TT is part of the fun for me! But now that I made my town the way I like it, I will go back to real time and play like that. I still have things to do, and it will take me a long while ... but atleast I can play in a nice cozy town and enjoy every moment of it :)

Last edited:
Back