• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Worth it to try older AC games?

nostalgibra

slave to the vaporwave
Bells
Poptart Easter Egg
July Birthstone (Ruby)
Peach (Fruit)
Peach (Fruit)
Mother's Day Carnation
Mother's Day Carnation
Cake
Cake
Cake
Cake
New Leaf is my first Animal Crossing game. If I got my hands on Wild World (I don't own any consoles so that's as far back as I can go), would it be worth a try, or is New Leaf too different/better than previous games/whatever for me to enjoy an older AC game?

I just want a new yet familiar experience with the characters I've grown to love from New Leaf. :3

Wild World was the first game I ever got that I really enjoyed on my ds. I remember staying up really late playing it and having fun. Then New Leaf came out and now my wild world lays untouched on my shelf. I do go on it sometimes but in comparison to New Leaf it will seem worse. Don't get me wrong though, it's definitely cute and there is way more villager interaction. A couple of days ago I bought City Folk for my Wii as that was the animal Crossing I never played and I really wanted a change.

Try it though! It's definitely a cute game, but it just looks a little different to New Leaf.

If you absolutely love the series, then I recommend getting the older games. Just a note: Wild World has framerate issues, the villagers are more rude, there's no PWP's (except in Animal Forest e+, which was Japan only), the art and music style is different, the characters are shorter and the first game technically didn't have hats (the players always wore a viking helmet or cone hat, which used the player's shirt's texture). They are all still good in my opinion, though.

In my honest opinion, I don't think you'd really enjoy the older games. I mean, I could 100% be wrong but I know New Leaf kind of taints the older games, even for people like me who have been playing since the game series literally came out in 2001/2002. I actually never really got to play City Folk (friend lent it to me for only 3 weeks), but I played Population Growing and Wild world religiously as a child and they were my favourite games ever. If you can get your hands on them, I really think it's worth it. If you have a Wii U, AC:WW is a virtual console game for only 10 bucks if you want to go a cheaper route if you do decide to play the games.

In my honest opinion, I don't think you'd really enjoy the older games. I mean, I could 100% be wrong but I know New Leaf kind of taints the older games, even for people like me who have been playing since the game series literally came out in 2001/2002. I actually never really got to play City Folk (friend lent it to me for only 3 weeks), but I played Population Growing and Wild world religiously as a child and they were my favourite games ever. If you can get your hands on them, I really think it's worth it. If you have a Wii U, AC:WW is a virtual console game for only 10 bucks if you want to go a cheaper route if you do decide to play the games.

I heard that the GCN game might be a virtual console game on the Switch too. Not sure if that's true though.

Wild World was my first game. Switching from NL would be slightly difficult, as everything is a bit slower. The dialogue is worth it, imo

Wild World was my first game. Switching from NL would be slightly difficult, as everything is a bit slower. The dialogue is worth it, imo

Wild World was slower than New Leaf, though the GCN game does seem faster (you run A LOT faster in the GCN game than in New Leaf).

Yeah, the main thing I want is new dialogue. I'm still on the fence about it since it seems to be a 50/50 split in this thread :p

I haven't played City Folk. But I played the Gamecube game and Wild World. Wild World was the worst one. I *almost* didn't buy New Leaf because that game almost sealed Animal Crossing's fate in my eyes. The dialog was pretty good and I kinda liked Celeste's observatory. But there just wasn't much to do. I got bored extremely fast.

The Gamecube game would be the best to play if you want to play an older game. It has more to do than Wild World, the villagers still have pretty decent dialog, and you even get the NES games to play when you're bored.

You can so totally get an N64 rom and an English translation of Animal Forest. :3c I have it on my computer. But I haven't played it much so idk how well it works honestly

If you want it for the dialogue, it's worth it. Wild World and the Gamecube Animal Crossing have waaay better dialogue than New Leaf. New Leaf is basically better than the older games in everything else but the dialogue. It lacks real bad in that department.

Oh and the animals aren't "mean" they are just more sassy. Personally, I enjoy it instead of animals always kissing your butt. XP

Last edited:
You can so totally get an N64 rom and an English translation of Animal Forest. :3c I have it on my computer. But I haven't played it much so idk how well it works honestly

That has it's issues though. There's only one ROM on the internet and it has issues such as taking 5 seconds to open the menu and random crashes (especially when time travelling and visiting houses at a certain time). Plus the English translation doesn't translate everything. You also might need a good computer. If you've modified your Wii, you can get Nintendon't and play Animal Crossing GCN off an SD Card with no issues at all (well, there's a lack of e-reader support). Personally, I'd say just get a Animal Crossing GCN disc, GCN memory card and GCN controller and then you'd be able to play it on your GameCube or Wii. If you have an N64, you'll have to hunt down for a copy of Animal Forest which will be difficult and once you finally got it you would need something to get rid of the region lock if you are in Europe (game will be higher pitched if played on PAL system).

I've played wild world and city folk religiously, I still go back and play my wild world town and I would still play city folk too if I had a Wii! The dialogue is so so much better but the graphics and all the technical jazz is kind of hard to look at since New Leaf lol. I'm actually debating starting my we town over so I can experience it again ! :)

Back