reverse oppression

is reverse oppression real? (choose 1 option that is the closest to your opinion)

• yes

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • no

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • yes but it is not as bad as other oppression

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • maybe in some cases

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • other (comment in the thread)

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

visibleghost

ʕ •̀ o •́ ʔ
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Hot Feather
Fresh Feather
Cool Feather
Glam Feather
Sweet Feather
Star Glow Wand
Heart Glow Wand
Star Glow Wand
June Birthstone (Pearl)
April Birthstone (Diamond)
by reverse oppression i mean things like racism against white people (reverse racism), sexism against men, heterophobia, cisphobia etc.
i think most people have heard discussions about this before so yay i'm not going to explain more, just ask if you arent sure what i mean.

so, do you think reverse oppression is real? why/why not? and if you think it is real: how do you define racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia etc.?

i don't think that reverse oppression is real. i think that oppression is based on so much more than just one thing that happens once. often when i hear about people complaining about reverse racism it's stuff like "this person called me a cracker but if i say racial slurs i'm apparently a giant racist!" where cracker has literally no backstory and it is the only "racist" thing this white person has been a victim of, while people of color are victims of a lot more than racial slurs.
like people see things that happen to many different people but they don't see that for the not oppressed people that's literally all there is, when the people who are oppressed may have been killed, hated, discriminated, not seen as human beings etc. for hundreds of years which still impacts their daily life.

idk if this is a mess but Hhhh Anyways . i'll add a poll so if there isnt a poll yet wait a few minutes

also important note: this isnt a politics thread tho i understand that it has a lot to do w/ politics. just pls try to not make it into a trump flamewar or something.

I selected "Maybe in some cases," but to be honest, oppression isn't the word I'd use. Maybe prejudice. Maybe bias.

Here's why;

The people that lash out at the people who call "reverse oppression" are people who have without a doubt been oppressed. Women against men. People of colour against white people. The LGBT+ community against homophobics and unfortunately, now, "cis-het" people in general.

The problem here is that those people are hurt and angry and lashing out at anyone who isn't one of them, because they don't feel SAFE with a lot of people who aren't one of them. A lot of gay kids tell their friends the truth expecting to be accepted, and are shamed instead. A lot of black people call the cops because they needed help, and were punished, themselves, for random crimes.

I wouldn't call the cops oppressed by black people. I wouldn't call homophobics oppressed by gay people. The problem, however, is that now I see regular, everyday teenagers absolutely verbally SHREDDED by someone because they're a guy who happens to be happy being a guy who likes girls. Now, they're "cis-het scum." People hate ALL cops, even the good ones, because "they're racist murderers." A lot of women are full of hate and insults to men after the way society treats them, and even men who have never laid a hand on a woman in a bad way, or said a sexist remark in his life, will be scorned as a "misogynistic pig."

Certain communities have oppressed certain other communities for a LONG time, and by oppression, I don't mean snide comments and nasty words. I mean, a black girl gets killed on the streets because a guy hit on her and realized she was transgender and had "tricked him." That's oppression. Job limits and violence and harsh words. That's oppression.

So the reverse oppression isn't actually that. It's bias against a people as a whole who has caused problems in the past. A straight white dude will still always have it better than a gay black woman, but that doesn't mean it's okay for either side to hurt the other... No matter what someone feels.

Reverse racism? What? People can be racist against whites. I've seen plenty of examples. One video this black girl was bullying this white kid because he chose to wear dreadlocks for fashion. Since when does fashion belong to one race?

if we do that then we're no better than the people that were oppressing us in the first place

Since when does fashion belong to one race?

Well considering only black people (or part black people) are able to actually have dreadlocks...

Here's the thing about people with any other type of hair trying to "dread" their hair: they can't. Literally.
Actual dreadlocks are made with simple twisting that can only be achieved with type 4 curly hair (maybe 3C too? I can't remember) or, "black people hair" as some of you may call it. They are also easy to keep clean.

Non-black peoples' "dreadlocks" are made by either a. severely damaging your hair with backcombing, glue, teasing, etc. or b. straight up neglecting it and not washing it, which doesn't form deadlocks, but forms matting instead. These aren't dreadlocks. These are nasty ass grinch fingers on your head.

So uh yeah dreadlocks pretty much do belong to one race. ?\_(ツ)_/?

Btw I voted no. Pretty sure I've already stated why several times in other threads.

Last edited:
Feminism then: "Equal Rights!!!"

Feminism now: "LET'S OPPRESS THE OPPRESSORS!!!1!!!11!:-DDDD"

I'm aware that not all feminists have become fishy she-beasts, but as a female myself, I am not even happy that I have to share the same sex with those women. I am disappointed in them. They're just another reason for females to be made fun of or treated poorly tbh. All they're doing is provoking other people, acting like idiots, and crying about it when they get put down. You're definitely not gonna get men to treat you fairly if you treat them like trash. You're just starting a war.

Feminism then: "Equal Rights!!!"

Feminism now: "LET'S OPPRESS THE OPPRESSORS!!!1!!!11!:-DDDD"

I'm aware that not all feminists have become fishy she-beasts, but as a female myself, I am not even happy that I have to share the same sex with those women. I am disappointed in them. They're just another reason for females to be made fun of or treated poorly tbh. All they're doing is provoking other people, acting like idiots, and crying about it when they get put down. You're definitely not gonna get men to treat you fairly if you treat them like trash. You're just starting a war.

agreed, although the though of "revenge" does sound nice, there still needs to be some form of realistic and critical thinking to this

I think the ideas of reverse racism + oppression are a construct of majority individuals who cannot stand that for whatever reason they aren't On Top/The Center Of Attention in any situation.

White people can't stand when someone who isn't white - someone who is "beneath them" get something better. They think all actions to raise up poc are meant to put them down. The same goes for abled vs disabled, rich vs poor, etc. And there are instances where demographically majority individuals are the minority (like in my city there were only a few white people) but then it becomes a matter of prejudice, discrimination, and often outright fear that they don't understand and want to cry "racism" about lol

Also, appropriation is participating in racism. Miss me with the idea that fashion patterns and hair styles belong to everyone. That's like saying the art of one artist belongs to everyone & I can copy it for credit. Bye.

.。.:*・?​

Definitions for anyone who wants to argue with me potentially:

PREJUDICE: preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience
Example: "English prejudice against foreigners"

DISCRIMINATION: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex
Example: "Being overlooked for being disabled is a form of discrimination that can be reported to the labor board"
Synonyms: Bias, prejudice, intolerance

RACISM: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. It is a system. See also: systemic racism, systematic racism, institutional racism, etc.

Last edited:
No.
Racism is racism. Any one can be racist, it's too bad that some still don't understand or even want to.
It's pretty trendy to hate white people at the moment, as you see lots of Twitter (or any social media) accounts talking about how we should be killed or whatever. But if someone said that about a black person, they'd get into serious trouble.

Last edited:
agreed, although the though of "revenge" does sound nice, there still needs to be some form of realistic and critical thinking to this

Revenge is always fun and feels so good. But it usually doesn't end peacefully. Not unless your enemy is dead.

I chose "not sure" because I honestly don't know how to answer this question. Maybe it does exist, but I don't think it's as noticeable as the main kind of oppression you see (racism, homophobia, etc.).

I think anyone can experience racism, sexism and hate for being a certain sexuality or gender.

Its hurts to see that it's still prominent today after thousands of years of progress we still can't pull through this?

I understand the whole "treat others the way you want to be treated thing", but I've come to realize that racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. are not going away quietly into the night. In my opinion, the only way to stop the various -isms to marginalize, suppress, and demonize people who hold hostile views based on a person's race, gender, sexuality, religion, etc. Don't wait for them to go to hell when they die, make it hell on Earth for those people as long as they hold those views. People have the ability to change or at least control those views, so it's not like they would be absolutely oppressed for the rest of their lives. It's not too hard to understand that we're all human and that different races, genders, and sexualities are all natural. What's not natural and should not be tolerated as such is hating other people solely based on those characteristics.

Racism is racism.
Sexism is sexism.
Heterophobia does exists.
Homophobia does exists.

This thread is legit weird.

you see lots of Twitter (or any social media) accounts talking about how we should be killed or whatever

In my experience, these accounts are often run by white instigators who want to act like they're a poc/certain person that's a poc in order to have more hate directed at a group

If your a typical 6th grade girl, then yes, sexism can be opposite. I think that reverse racism definitely exists and is just as bad.

Last edited:
I'm sure it happens but definitely not as often as the usual people who are opressed.

I agree that more blacks, gays and women are oppressed more than white, straight men but singling people like this out is being just as bad

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back