• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Which generation had the best starters so far?

Which set of starters did you like most?

• Total voters
Sad how weak fire starters became gen 4 up :(
Hands down tho GEN 3 BABYYYY

Gen 2 <3 The Totodile and Cyndaquil families are some of my all-time favorite Pokemon, and I've even used Chikorita in SoulSilver, even though grass types aren't typically that useful imo when your main goal is just to knock your enemy the heck out. I don't play competitively so I care more about appearance than stats.

Turtwig was the first starter that I ever got, and while I do like the Kanto ones a lot, Diamond was the first game I played, so my nostalgia comes from that game instead. Piplup and Chimchar were also very good and I feel they all led to some cool evolutions.

I've always adored Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile...
Heartgold was my very first pokemon game so I may be biased but honestly they just have really nice designs and evolutions? I'm not sure how good they are in terms of battling but I've never been much of a battler anyways so that doesn't really matter to me haha.

There is a lot of Chikorita support in this thread and I for one am not supporting it. Not. Supporting. It. Also very surprised to see the Generation IV starters in second place, always thought the fourth generation passed a lot of people by, I suppose it was at least the time when each of the starters in a generation got a secondary type and they all vaguely assisted them against the starter they should have been weak against. I did use all three starters in my Diamond and Platinum playthroughs since they are solid across the board. Maybe I'm the one underrating them?

I love them all, but I like Gen 4 and 5 the best. I wasn't too happy about Gen 6 though.

Back