• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Which generation had the best starters so far?

Which set of starters did you like most?

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Which set of starters did you like most? It can be based on appearances, final forms, and stats.

I don't have a favorite when it comes to stats since I don't have interest into competition, but I'm really liking the 7th generation a lot based on appearance and final forms. The 1st generation is classic, and so is the 2nd generation, but there's no starter Pokemon I like more than Popplio. Even the other two are cool or cute. Rowlet is my 3rd favorite grass starter, and Litten is my 4th favorite fire starter.

I think Gen 3 had the most useful starters competitive-wise, which is a big aspect of the series that I'm interested in so it's pretty useful. I could really find a place for any of the starters on my team

Even though I grew up with Gen 4 and I absolutely love Piplup and Turtwig, I have to go with the Johto starters (Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile) from Gen 2. I pick the Johto starters because they are the only trio of starters that I like throughout their entire evolution line, not to mention there also isn't a single shiny color from any of them that I dislike as well.

Blastoise is my all time favorite, so Ill have to go with gen 1!

Nostalgia might be dictating my vote of Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle... But those designs and those particular starters and their evolutions are some of the most iconic characters Pokemon, and maybe even Nintendo in general, has to offer. They might not be my favourite starters, but I can't see any other set taking their place.

To be honest, there's no real set of starters I like all the way through.

Gen 4.

Piplup and Turtwig are adorable and two of my favourite Pok?mon. Chimchar is ugly though.

Gen 7 and Gen 2 are solid though. Love Rowlet and Chikorita.

Last edited:
I picked Gen 4, but I love Gen 2 as well. Chikorita's my favorite starter.

Gen 4!
Their evolved/starting forms are bootiful. :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

rip Gen 5.

I voted for gen 7 mostly just for Rowlet and his evos, even though Primarina is beautiful too. I also loved Delphox from gen 6 but the other two are trash... the only other gen that comes close to being as awesome as the last one for me is gen 3. All of their starter evos are almost equally badass, which is pretty rare.

Overall though I'd say the quality of the designs keeps improving over time. "Gamefreak ran out of ideas" my axe... they just keep wowing us with every new game lol

I absolutely adore the second gen starters and always have a difficult choice when I have to choose just one of them.

I do like the Kanto starters overall as well but just not as much as the gen 2, and all the other gens there is always one pokemon that I just don't like.

I picked Gen 4. I feel like out of every set of starters, there's one I don't like, either by appearance or just how they actually function with move sets. But every time I play Gen 4, I have a hard time picking which one I want to use because I enjoy them all quite a lot.

I would've picked Gen 1 but I used Blastoise in X recently and didn't really care for it.

Gen 2 I guess. It's the only generation where I like all three starters, and I like all three of Totodile and Cyndaquill's evolutions.

With all the other gens I only like one or two of the starters, and they've usually lost me by their final form.

Gen 3 imo had awesome starter evolutions compared to some of the ridiculous crap they came up with later on. Gen 7 was very impressive though!

For nostalgia it would be gen 1 of course, I always remember playing on my GB when I was in primary school and Pokemon first came out.
Overall, it's a tough choice between gen 3 and 7. Although the Greninja line was a standout for me in gen 6, I was very excited when Bank updated and I could use him in my sun playthrough. Decidueye is probably my number 1. Then it would be Greninja and Sceptile. I've really enjoyed the new starters though, I used Rowlet in moon and now Litten in sun. Will probably do another playthrough just to use Popplio. They've all got great designs

I like Gens 3 and 4, and the Fennekin line is pretty swell, but Gens 5 and 6 are pretty trash, hahaha. Even my fave G5er, Samurott, is trash. But my favorite set HAS to be Gen 7! I love them ALL! Even Popplio and Incineroar, who are least popular!
Sorry G1&2&3&4, you're all nice, but nothing beats Alola for me...

I like Gens 3 and 4, and the Fennekin line is pretty swell, but Gens 5 and 6 are pretty trash, hahaha. Even my fave G5er, Samurott, is trash. But my favorite set HAS to be Gen 7! I love them ALL! Even Popplio and Incineroar, who are least popular!
Sorry G1&2&3&4, you're all nice, but nothing beats Alola for me...

Popplio is my 7th gen favorite starter in first form, but Incineroar is my favorite 7th gen starter in final form. It's kinda odd that I like the more unpopular ones this generation.

Back