• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What's wrong with this room? (room finished! (I think haha))

Bilaz

Local Eurovision Fan DA-3870-3754-4899
Bells
Matryoshka Doll
WVW69kDtTIQCOMjIPB

It's done I think! Aah I love these colours

WVW69kDtS7MpMUME_W

How does it look? I think the harpsicord filled up the last empty space nicely.

WVW69kDtTi4Eihhb0B

Thank you so much for your help everyone! Any final critique much appreciated. ^^

Older photos of this room (for reference) are in the spoiler tag! :)
WVW69kDj7MMm8vPRlY

Getting closer... I think it just needs one or two more items and then it's done?

WVW69kDj640HkRI4UZ

It's a shame I can't think of a space for my WiiU though, the 3DS looks fine on the table... I really wish I could have both games in one room. :/

WVW69kDbe_wIxGovT3

WVW69kDbe180VyI5Yi

Please ignore the fact that the lighting has changed, this just has to do with the fact I took these pictures at night. :)
Okay, so how does this look? I'm still not finished but it's already looking less empty. I tried out various furniture pieces that were suggested (such as customized Alpine furniture) but I couldn't get it to work. :( So on a whim I tried out the piano and the stool and I think it looks okay?

WVW69kDPXfANbk332O

I actually really like this colour sceme! What do you think? Now I have no idea what furniture to add to the room though. :( Any suggestions?

WVW69kDN9noJeX1PUC

Okay so thank you so much for your suggestions! I had Cyrus minimize the sabertooth fossil and I customized the classic furniture to chocolate. I also took you guys's suggestion on picking between museum and study and chose study and I took your suggestion on removing the modern items. :)

I guess the problem was the two colour scemes I had going on: the red and the green. For now I've chosen the red and I quite like it... However, now I have way too much empty space. Any furniture suggestions? Or do you guys think I should have gone with the green? Thank you so much for your help. <3

WVW69kDOVOY5WJWX2U

I'm seriously debating getting rid of the red accents, customizing back the classic furniture back to normal brown, putting in the birch floor with the tea room wall and adding plants and making the whole room green themed... I just don't know. :(
Original post:
I have no idea why but for some reason I dislike it. Any constructive criticism? :)
WVW69kDAa3YudrEAmb

Edit:
WVW69kDAgdU5Ml6L1r

Last edited:
I think it's the wallpaper that's throwing it off. Perhaps find a wallpaper that matches the theme of the room better?

Thank you guys! That might be it. :O It doesn't really go at all does it? I'll get right on it and I'll post another picture when I find a better wall. In the meantime any critique on the furniture perhaps? :)

I think that if you were to take out the simple sofa, the dino skeleton (maybe make it a mini?) and the museum sign and museum ropes, it might look a bit less...jumbled. Put the regal lamp by the regal sofa, and put the laptop on the coffee table and take out the marshmallow chair. The Wii U and TV seem a bit odd being placed off to the side, and the red cushion might look better somewhere else. A fireplace might look nice where the dino skeleton is now, but IDK what you'd put on either side of it. Maybe push in the bookshelves and put some red vases as endcaps? And on top of the fireplace you can put a flatscreen TV or some other type of TV that can be placed on top of things, and then place the Wii U below it.
Really, your problem is that there's no central theme going on here. Is it a library or a museum room? My tips are for a library sort of room, but if you're doing a dino museum room then have more emphasis on the museum pieces and put a couple more dinos in there.

Maybe try putting the classic buffet in front of the regal couch, and then move the classic chair in line with the buffet (either left of right of the buffet)? That way it looks like a communal area!

Thank you so much for your comments everyone! These suggestions are really helpful!

I think that if you were to take out the simple sofa, the dino skeleton (maybe make it a mini?) and the museum sign and museum ropes, it might look a bit less...jumbled. Put the regal lamp by the regal sofa, and put the laptop on the coffee table and take out the marshmallow chair. The Wii U and TV seem a bit odd being placed off to the side, and the red cushion might look better somewhere else. A fireplace might look nice where the dino skeleton is now, but IDK what you'd put on either side of it. Maybe push in the bookshelves and put some red vases as endcaps? And on top of the fireplace you can put a flatscreen TV or some other type of TV that can be placed on top of things, and then place the Wii U below it.
Really, your problem is that there's no central theme going on here. Is it a library or a museum room? My tips are for a library sort of room, but if you're doing a dino museum room then have more emphasis on the museum pieces and put a couple more dinos in there.

Okay, you have a really good point there! Perhaps I don't like the room because it's kind of an odd jumbled pointless room? You're right, I should really think about what I want to do with it. Perhaps I should just do a complete overhaul? Back to the drawing board?

I said yesterday that I was finished with my house and now I want to redo a whole room... I don't think I'm ever going to be satisfied with this darn house am I? xD

It honestly looks fine to me if not for

1) The light looks a lil bit too strong. Maybe tun off one or two of the lamps and see how it looks?
2) The WiiU and laptop are the only "technological" items of an otherwise pretty regal and vintage-looking room, so if I were you I'd ind something else to replace those. Maybe a typewriter, a snow globe, or even a bear statue?

Feel free to ignore obv this is just my impression :)

Pull the sofa and low table one row down each (the chair and end table attached to them as well) otherwise that space looks a little too empty imo. And maybe try some new wallpaper and flooring combo. The rest looks fine!

Thank you so much for your comments everyone! These suggestions are really helpful!

Okay, you have a really good point there! Perhaps I don't like the room because it's kind of an odd jumbled pointless room? You're right, I should really think about what I want to do with it. Perhaps I should just do a complete overhaul? Back to the drawing board?

I said yesterday that I was finished with my house and now I want to redo a whole room... I don't think I'm ever going to be satisfied with this darn house am I? xD

Well, you don't have to redo the WHOLE room. You can decide which theme you want to use out of it, and then utilize a lot of the furniture you already have while rearranging it and adding a few accent pieces.

Well, the first thing that caught my eye was that the two couches are perpendicular to each other. Just seems off.

Last edited:
Well, the first thing that caught my eye was that the two couches are perpendicular with each other. Just seems off.

if your still in the room dilemma, it's probably that, the way the eyes travel across any asthetic, may it be good or bad, can influence if a person likes, or dislikes a design.

I like the feel of the room! Here is what I think I would change:

1) The wallpaper, as has been mentioned. (Maybe the classic, green, plaster, or stately wall?)

2) It's throwing me off that the room has the classic, simple, and regal furniture. I'd limit it to combining two of those--the classic and one other. I'd choose the regal, because it looks classy with the library/museum feel you have going, and because it includes the lamp and light you're already using.

3) As someone suggested, I would have Cyrus miniaturize the dino bones you have, and do the same with a second set of bones (so you have two mini dinos) and display them on museum display stands behind the velvet ropes.

True, the video game equipment doesn't "go" with the museum/library feel, but I don't mind them--it looks to me like someone's house that has a classy library that they also use for electronic entertainment.

Last edited:
i think you could be put off by the color of the room. theres so much green it could be giving it a greenish lighting. maybe change the floorings to a nice brown wood and then maybe it wont be so bad. also the wallpaper is pretty green so maybe replace it with something else and keep the green wooden floors :) otherwise it looks really cool kinda like a study

Updated first post! :) Thank you so much for replying everyone! This was really helpful.

Last edited:
Back