• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Sciene Nerds: What planet can we, theoretically, live on?

They apparently just found a handful of new planets. I wonder if we could live on one of those o:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Surviving? We're the killers in this horror movie.

It really is a shame to think about that truth. S:

They apparently just found a handful of new planets. I wonder if we could live on one of those o:

Living on them would be the easy part. Getting there (40 light-years away) would be the hard part.

Last edited:
Wait was the discussion still going on in this thread the whole time or did someone revive a dead thread ??????????????

- - - Post Merge - - -

NASA has just found some planets! Time to get the hell out of here!

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...h-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around

They're only 40 light-years away. For all we know, the star could have blown up in the 80's and we'd still be seeing it.

We'll all be dead by the time we get there lmao

- - - Post Merge - - -

After a few billion years we can probably colonize on Venus.

Incorrect, the sun is set to explode and wipe out Earth in 500,000,000 years.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/...h-of-earth-size-habitable-zone-planets-around

They're only 40 light-years away. For all we know, the star could have blown up in the 80's and we'd still be seeing it.

Where is the actual telescope footage?

Seriously, what has the space program been doing? We haven't been to the moon in like 40 years. They're not really doing a good job keeping people updated with the Mars mission progress, their social media presence is for the most part uneventful. All they show or talk about is the space station. In an age where communication is so easy, people can stream their lives so conveniently, and NASA just seems so out of the loop. Seriously, what are they doing to get people excited? Why don't they disclose their plans to the public?
People who worship NASA need to stop crying about lack of funds, and start blaming NASA for not engaging people enough to beg them to take their money.

NASA is pretty lame now. And it's all their fault.

Seriously, what has the space program been doing? We haven't been to the moon in like 40 years. They're not really doing a good job keeping people updated with the Mars mission progress, their social media presence is for the most part uneventful. All they show or talk about is the space station. In an age where communication is so easy, people can stream their lives so conveniently, and NASA just seems so out of the loop. Seriously, what are they doing to get people excited? Why don't they disclose their plans to the public?
People who worship NASA need to stop crying about lack of funds, and start blaming NASA for not engaging people enough to beg them to take their money.

Humans have already been to the moon enough times. It was cool the first few times, but it would just be a massive waste of time and money to keep going there again and again. As for social media and stuff, it's not NASA's job to entertain people. They should be focused on research and developing technology, not public relations. The pressure to produce results for the public to consume has actually hindered NASA. NASA should be working on developing better propulsive systems and lighter spacecraft so that they can reach places much faster, but instead they have to waste their resources launching the same crappy technology into space over and over again to produce measurable results for the public.

y u hating on the people who brought us to the moon, who are constantly researching to educate the regular people of society about the planet n the universe we're in and are continuously spending their time trying to research the planets in our solar system ???

- - - Post Merge - - -

NASA is so 1980s lololol in a generation where being dumb is cool, ppl are seriously ****ing thinking that the same people who are educating us on how to properly take care of our planet and how it works are lame.

Last edited:
I'm talking about innovation, I'm talking about contribution. I already mentioned we went to the moon, and that was the only thing you can bring up, other than the stuff about space we've been learning in third grade science books since the 60s?

Once again, that's why no one cares about what NASA is doing, because they have nothing to put on the table, and whatever they're putting on the table we've already tasted, or is pretty bland.

And nomads did a better job of teaching us how to take care of the planet, lol.
So yeah, still pretty lame.

Edit:
Getting people involved/engaged in the space program is vital. Are you saying getting people excited is a waste of time? They don't have to dedicate the scientists' time to managing their online presence. And yes, their public relation is important. They have to maintain an image of "hey, we're doing big and important things, check us out".
Setting a base on the moon would be pretty beneficial to advancing space exploration, for one it could be a head start to launching further into space, and not having to worry about the Van Allen Radiation belt every single time. And it'll be good practice for colonizing on a planet/moon that could sustain life.
And that pressure/competitive nature is what got us to the moon.

One of the most rationally thought-out Mars mission involved building the spacecraft in space.
Also it's funny how you mention launching the same crappy technology into space, because that is my main gripe with them.

Last edited:

okay honestly i find this to be the most AMAZING thing. outer space seriously blows my mind. i mean, there's seven planets around one star. there is an endless number of stars probably with tons more planets we don't know about. it's terrifying to know we're only a speck of dust in this huge universe but it's also so amazing and mindblowing at the same time.

anyways - i really wish we could go explore there, if only we could get there before we all die. even though space amazes me it also terrifies me so i don't think i'd willingly go to explore it if i had the chance. lol

I'm talking about innovation, I'm talking about contribution. I already mentioned we went to the moon, and that was the only thing you can bring up, other than the stuff about space we've been learning in third grade science books since the 60s?

Once again, that's why no one cares about what NASA is doing, because they have nothing to put on the table, and whatever they're putting on the table we've already tasted, or is pretty bland.

And nomads did a better job of teaching us how to take care of the planet, lol.
So yeah, still pretty lame.

Edit:
Getting people involved/engaged in the space program is vital. Are you saying getting people excited is a waste of time? They don't have to dedicate the scientists' time to managing their online presence. And yes, their public relation is important. They have to maintain an image of "hey, we're doing big and important things, check us out".
Setting a base on the moon would be pretty beneficial to advancing space exploration, for one it could be a head start to launching further into space, and not having to worry about the Van Allen Radiation belt every single time. And it'll be good practice for colonizing on a planet/moon that could sustain life.
And that pressure/competitive nature is what got us to the moon.

One of the most rationally thought-out Mars mission involved building the spacecraft in space.
Also it's funny how you mention launching the same crappy technology into space, because that is my main gripe with them.

But millions of people are talking about this recent discovery. This thread was created to discuss everything that NASA taught us. So people care much more than you think they do. There are people out there who still enjoy the topic of science and discovery. They don't need to engage with brainless people to keep people talking, because they're 2cool4that.

Lol, look up "NASA" in Google trends. Not much of a hot topic. Why's that? It's one thing to enjoy it and another thing to expect significant advancements, especially at the rate technology is increasing.
Don't need to engage with brainless idiots? What are you saying? You know who watched the moon landings? Everybody? You know who watched rockets launch into space? Every body. They were doing something fresh, new, and innovating back then. All they do now is tell us they found a few more planets that are potentially habitable, and that's not really news in a universe they say is expanding.
It's even less impressive with theoretical scientist that think there may be infinite universes and dimensions. It's like they're so bored with what NASA is doing they have to think up of something people can actually get excited about, lol.
They're even going as far as saying our universe could be a simulation.

It's so odd that you're making excuses for NASA not to want everyone curious and excited about what they're working on and the progress they're making.

Last edited:
Lol, look up "NASA" in Google trends. Not much of a hot topic. Why's that? It's one thing to enjoy it and another thing to expect significant advancements, especially at the rate technology is advancing.
Don't need to engage with brainless idiots? What are you saying? You know who watched the moon landings? Everybody? You know who watched rockets launch into space? Every body. They were doing something fresh, new, and innovating back then. All they do now is tell us they found a few more planets that are potentially habitable, and that's not really news in a universe they say is expanding.
It's even less impressive with theoretical scientist that think there may be infinite universes and dimensions. It's like they're so bored with what NASA is doing they have to think up of something people can actually get excited about, lol.
They're even going as far as saying our universe could be a simulation.

It's so odd that you're making excuses for NASA not to want everyone curious and excited about what they're working on and the progress they're making.

Not everybody watched the moon landing. Some people just don't give a **** about outer space or even science in general, so it's not worth the effort to try to engage those people. I don't think NASA gets a very large marketing and advertising budget, so it's difficult for it to become a "trending" topic for an extended period of time. The moon landing seemed exciting back then, but if you really think about it, whoop-dee-do, we paid a short visit to the equivalent of Earth's garage, not even it's next-door neighbor. Finding habitable planets 40 light-years away is a more significant scientific achievement, even if it's not as flashy as shooting a rocket into the sky.

People are missing the forest for the trees. If all you focus on is the toys and gadgets, then you miss out on the important research and discoveries which could lead to something much, much bigger. When you say NASA needs to do something "cool", what are you thinking of? They could do a manned mission to Mars, but right now it would take years to get there and probably be a one-way mission which would be stupid. They could build a base on the moon like you mentioned before, but the moon has no way of sustaining life which means we'd have to waste trillions of dollars to ship supplies there. It doesn't make much sense as a launch point either as it's so close to Earth in astronomical terms and everything would have to come from Earth anyway. The main issue with space travel is getting the vehicle to escape Earth's gravity in an efficient way, and going to the moon, Mars, or anywhere else in the short-term doesn't really do much to solve that long-term problem.

Since NASA just found a bunch of new planets orbiting TRAPPIST-1 I'll say TRAPPIST-1f. Most potential planet so far

Back