Sciene Nerds: What planet can we, theoretically, live on?

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
Okay, what planet can we move to when this one goes to ****? Obviously meteorology wasn't my strong point in school, so what would be the 'ideal' conditions to simulate Earth, but on a different planet. Are there any planets in our solar system that can actually accommodate us? Are extra-terrestrials really out there? Is there life on Mars? Just normal existential questions.

1. As of right now, nope. Scientists have found a similar planet like Earth I think, but it's still not known if it has water in liquid form and can sustain life.
2. "Although many scientists expect extraterrestrial life to exist, there is no unambiguous evidence for its existence so far."
3. Scientists haven't found any because you need water to sustain life and they haven't found water on Mars yet, but it seems like at least there used to be.

Hope this can kinda help x. x

Last edited:
1. As of right now, nope. Scientists have found a similar planet like Earth I think, but it's still not known if it has water in liquid form and can sustain life.
2. "Although many scientists expect extraterrestrial life to exist, there is no unambiguous evidence for its existence so far."
3. Scientists haven't found any because you need water to sustain life and they haven't found water on Mars yet, but it seems like at least there used to be.

Hope this can kinda help x. x

Thanks man! I'm useless with science so this helps lmao. How long would it take for scientists to find anything along the lines of a planet we can live on? Anytime within the foreseeable future? I like to think there's hope for our species but sometimes it looks quite meek x.x

Last edited:
extremely valid question considering our current president

Very true. The Doomsday Clock is closer to midnight than it has ever been since 1953 (which I believe was the Cuban Missile Crisis, could be wrong) and tensions are extremely high.

I say we should send the people that are willingly screwing us and the planet over off to see if the sun can be colonized

don't worry. if we don't hear back from the first expedition, we'll have plenty more waves to send out for potential results

Well this is kinda unknown for now, I guess as technology advances maybe?? within something less than 150 years. Probably not by the end of our lifetimes thou

Yea, its a shame that impending doom just looms over us at this point regarding the future of the planet.

We can't live on another planet and we aren't even close to being able to do so. I don't think we've found another habitable planet yet, and even if we do, we are a long, long, way from getting there. Humans haven't even traveled to Mars yet, so how are we going to get to a planet much, much further away? From a percentage standpoint, fixing the one we live on is much more likely than successfully moving to another.

Also, scientific progress appears to be slowing down. Science isn't cool anymore. Stupidity is virtue now because it makes you look honest and relate-able while being really intelligent makes people think you're sinister and elitist because you know things that they don't so they see you as a threat instead of admiring your knowledge and trying to learn from it.

Last edited:
humans will colonize Mars within our lifetimes, then they will break into two factions and have a Martian civil war...

In our solar system, no. There might be one in another galaxy, but with our current space technology, it would take so long to get there that you'd never get there in your lifetime. Not to mention you'd probably run out of food on the shuttle/ship before your natural death anyway... After all, it took the New Horizons probe 9 1/2 years to reach Pluto. It would take far, far longer than that to reach another galaxy with a possible habitable planet.

I hope we never do. I'd like to think that we could, but we've messed up this planet enough. We were given this planet to take care of, and if we mess it up, we'll just mess another up. Maybe you could leave the troublemakers behind, though.

Theoretically, we would be able to colonize on Mars. No, we won't sustain off Mars for too long, but consider this: if we do plan to move to Mars, because Earth is about to die or whatever, we still can relay some resources off Earth. I'm sure if we ever reach that far where Earth is unlivable, we can build something cool that could transport resources, or make the ocean water drinkable, or something. After we deplete Earth's resources, our move to Mars will already be fully loaded with supplies we need. And if we are relaying resources, we would've already built a lot of crap that could help us live more comfortably. We would've either adapted or erased the toxic gas that surrounds Mars, built a bunch of stations and houses in one domed complex, drilled deep into Mars for water, and grown our own food.
In other answers I read, you guys are assuming we're dropping everything and going to Mars. The most reasonable answer is they're going to build a spaceships to send us there, send a few people to go first and build crap, or send robots to help build things for us. Although we have limited time on Earth if we do plan on colonizing on Mars, we have enough to make Mars a suitable stay for humans. Right now? Of course not. We may have had robots and things do things for us, but we have Trump as president; we aren't going to do good things for a long time. The only reason I would think people would want to move to Mars now is: they're edgy ("when Trump becomes president I'm flying to Mars"), they want to see if humans can survive (they can't right now), or they want to test what humans can do on Mars. But since you're talking theoretically, yes, I believe in the far future humans will be able to inhabit and live on Mars. How we effect Mars? Well, that's another question.

We can't live on another planet and we aren't even close to being able to do so. I don't think we've found another habitable planet yet, and even if we do, we are a long, long, way from getting there. Humans haven't even traveled to Mars yet, so how are we going to get to a planet much, much further away? From a percentage standpoint, fixing the one we live on is much more likely than successfully moving to another.

Also, scientific progress appears to be slowing down. Science isn't cool anymore. Stupidity is virtue now because it makes you look honest and relate-able while being really intelligent makes people think you're sinister and elitist because you know things that they don't so they see you as a threat instead of admiring your knowledge and trying to learn from it.

Aw man, science isn't cool anymore? Bummer. I keep hearing people thinking climate change is as mythical as Medusa, when there's actual numbers to prove that it's a legitimate threat.

To be fair, if our incompetent species survives another 5 million years or so, we'll all just be wiped out by the sun, so nobody can win.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I hope we never do. I'd like to think that we could, but we've messed up this planet enough. We were given this planet to take care of, and if we mess it up, we'll just mess another up. Maybe you could leave the troublemakers behind, though.

Or on a one-way course into the Sun. :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

Theoretically, we would be able to colonize on Mars. No, we won't sustain off Mars for too long, but consider this: if we do plan to move to Mars, because Earth is about to die or whatever, we still can relay some resources off Earth. I'm sure if we ever reach that far where Earth is unlivable, we can build something cool that could transport resources, or make the ocean water drinkable, or something. After we deplete Earth's resources, our move to Mars will already be fully loaded with supplies we need. And if we are relaying resources, we would've already built a lot of crap that could help us live more comfortably. We would've either adapted or erased the toxic gas that surrounds Mars, built a bunch of stations and houses in one domed complex, drilled deep into Mars for water, and grown our own food.
In other answers I read, you guys are assuming we're dropping everything and going to Mars. The most reasonable answer is they're going to build a spaceships to send us there, send a few people to go first and build crap, or send robots to help build things for us. Although we have limited time on Earth if we do plan on colonizing on Mars, we have enough to make Mars a suitable stay for humans. Right now? Of course not. We may have had robots and things do things for us, but we have Trump as president; we aren't going to do good things for a long time. The only reason I would think people would want to move to Mars now is: they're edgy ("when Trump becomes president I'm flying to Mars"), they want to see if humans can survive (they can't right now), or they want to test what humans can do on Mars. But since you're talking theoretically, yes, I believe in the far future humans will be able to inhabit and live on Mars. How we effect Mars? Well, that's another question.

I like to be as edgy as possible lol, but with everything going on, a nuclear war threat and Steven Hawking telling us multiple times that we'll need to stop the ride and get off in a couple of thousand years or so if we want to survive, its hard not to think about how little of a future we have. As well as this, in a billion years or so the sun will engulf Earth. So assuming;

A: We still exist in a thousand years or two.
B: We aren't suicidal.
C: We have enough brain cells to buckle down and make enough technology to get us to Mars and to a capable planet. (WHOA, TECHNOLOGY)

If the human race had all three things to move to Mars, even temporary, it could work. Then, if there's enough resources like you said, flown over to Mars to survive for a while, we can rebuild temporarily. Start a farm, Harvest Moon style. A single complex would be easier to maintain. Then, if we have the technology to leave our solar system, we could go to another one and explore, see if there's one that can inhabit life. Then, we use the 'stuff' we've built to leave to that planet, lay down some ground rules and then BANG!

Extremely loose concept, I'm now realising it sounded better in my head. I'm definitely not as smart as you guys are x.x

Back