• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Question: House Expansions and Outside Appearances

MorningStar

Seven, Seven--
Bells
Switch
2236-5321-7336
Cherry (Fruit)
Weird question regarding, not renovations like the doors and roof, but the appearance of the house in general.

Does there exist any images of what the house looks like from the outside as expansions are made? Rather, as the house begins to get larger?

In my second town, I am a side character to my friend's mayor, and want my house to be relatively small. My first floor is fully expanded and I have the smallest second floor that I can, but this is where the problem is. I want to add a basement, but would that be evident from the outside? What about a room in the back? And if I expand the second floor, will there be a visual difference from the outside?

I believe adding rooms on the left and right sides will be very obvious from the outside, but my main concerns now are whether I should expand the top floor, build a back room and a basement, or if I shouldn't do any of those for fear of my house looking too large.

As it stands, all I can find are guides detailing the size of the room on the inside (for example, the very first floor-space of 4x4), or the prices of the expansions. I've checked Thonky and IGN, plus the wiki, and general googling, but have come up empty-handed for a guide detailing the outside.

The basement has no impact, but building the upstairs will make your house taller. It's still relatively small and cozy looking though. In my opinion, if you want it to be small but still look nice, just build the upstairs. I'm not sure about the back room though. I don't think it would affect the outside appearance, but I might be wrong.

HNI_0043.JPGHNI_0042.JPG

Well these are not the greatest pictures since I'm not RIGHT in front of the house, but this is what the house looks like right before you add the 2nd floor (so the first floor is fully expanded). Only after you add a second floor you can start to add back rooms, side rooms, and the basement. The basement and backroom do not alter the appearance of your house, only adding side rooms will.

HNI_0004.JPGHNI_0071.JPG

This is what the house looks like when it has the first floor (fully expanded), 2nd floor (expanded twice), back room, and basement. As you can see other than the change in the roof because of the 2nd floor, there's no other obvious changes to the house if you decide to expand the existing room sizes. I love the look of the tiny houses so I like to keep them small :) Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ah, I see, so it looks like the basement and back room don't effect the appearance at all... I don't know how much I want to expand the top floor, though. I have it and I don't might it making the house taller, but I don't care for the butterfly-like effect the expanded window ledges create.

Thanks, guys! You were super helpful!

Any more pictures from others in general would still be appreciated; if anyone has a fully-expanded top floor, for instance, or thinks anything I've assumed so far is incorrect. Expansions are a mistake I won't be able to fix!

And once you build one side room on the first floor you HAVE to build the other side because it just looks sooo lopsided otherwise :p

Perfect, so I'm free to fully expand the upstairs, basement, and back room without any visible changes to the exterior. You guys rock. Thank you!

Dream addresses?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently building my alt's house and trying to keep its exterior as small and cozy as possible. I have already fully expanded the first floor and expanded the second floor once. I'm thinking of adding a basement too, assuming it won't affect the size of my house exterior-wise (from what I read up here). Can I safely assume that fully expanding the basement wouldn't affect the size of my small house?

And could I mayhaps visit any of your dream towns to see your small-sized houses for reference? If so, please drop your dream addresses here! Thanks in advance~

Back