• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

reasons why you would reset your town?

kingblook

ᕕ(ツ)ᕗ
Bells
User Title Color Change
even if the reason doesnt exist in your town right now, what would be one thing that would make you at least CONSIDER resetting? unevenly plotted houses? the location of your town hall/campground/etc? anything

i'm not too happy with my town but i feel like i should keep developing it and see where it goes. i'm definitely gonna think about it for a long time before i reset, as i've put 300+ hours into that town alone. right now i'm just curious to see what other people think would warrant a reset :D

if i wasn't happy with my town lay out or placement of rocks and ponds stuff that you can do nothing about is what would make me restart

I've been seriously considering resetting my digital copy due to rock placement and my campsite... I thought it'd be a good idea to place it at 3am and immediately regretted it the next morning! I've reset multiple times just to toggle some rocks and what-not~ With houses I just work through it as I play c: If I start to dislike the non-movable things I generally reset, but that's partially because I have many copies of the game so I always have milky sky nice n' safe!

Dislike of map and permanent placements & dislike of town name is why I reset last time.
Now I'm v happy and I've put so much time in that I'd rather just buy a new copy, it pains me to throw it all away

Dislike of map and permanent placements & dislike of town name is why I reset last time.
Now I'm v happy and I've put so much time in that I'd rather just buy a new copy, it pains me to throw it all away

yeah, i have a second copy that i started under a month ago... and honestly i'm already way happier with that town rather than my main town, which sucks :(

Well, I love my towns, so I would never reset, but I did have a Sunshine town, and I worked so hard on it, and realized that I hated the map so very badly. I bought another copy for $15, and started a new Sunshine. I moved everything into the new town, including villagers. I even dream visited the old town and got all my patterns from Wendel, so I wouldn't have to make them again. A ton of work, but well worth it.

I restart ALL THE TIME because of my OCD.

I'm doing my best in my current town to just come to terms with the fact that not everything will be perfect.
There will be rocks in stupid places but you just gotta make it work. When I visit other towns, most of the time I don't even notice them in the way unless I really look for them.

So basically I always restart because of layout issues. Villagers aren't an issue since I have most of the amiibo cards and can move them in and out as I please. Definitely the best part of the update 10/10

placements and layouts dont bother me but the only thing that does is that i felt like i rushed the game way too much.

1. Town layout - It tempts me to restart regardless if I'm satisfied with my map or not because I always find something wrong with it but that only happens during the first few weeks. If a month or two had passed (using the same map), it wouldn't bother me anymore like there's little to no chance that I'm going to reset, unless... (later)
2. Starting villagers - I used to a lot especially during that first week whenever I start creating my town, but it's not a big deal now since I can move in villagers using amiibo.
3. ... Unless I'm using a single copy of the game like I've been playing the town for years then eventually got bored. When I stopped playing for a long while that I'd feel lost and it'd be better to start over. I have multiple copies so I just create another town.

That's probably all :)

I restart ALL THE TIME because of my OCD.

I'm doing my best in my current town to just come to terms with the fact that not everything will be perfect.
There will be rocks in stupid places but you just gotta make it work. When I visit other towns, most of the time I don't even notice them in the way unless I really look for them.

So basically I always restart because of layout issues. Villagers aren't an issue since I have most of the amiibo cards and can move them in and out as I please. Definitely the best part of the update 10/10

Idk how to do it, but you should probably edit your town so you can have some peace of mind

I reset my first town I made in 2013 for the new year and new update. I just got bored of the town and i wasn't interested in fixing the landscaping. I have never reset any of my towns only based off problems in the map because I usually find ways to work around it, plus I'm not too picky. But yes, if I couldn't find a way to work around a really terrible map I'd probably reset. I always say I'm going to map reset for hours to find the perfect one but I end up picking one of the first four because I'm impatient *shrugs*

Last edited:
Most of the time I reset because I get bored with a town and loose attachment to it. Up until that happens, I can stick to pretty much any town despite its flaws.

I could imagine resetting over bad building placements, though.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly content with my town so I doubt I will ever reset again, but I have reset in the past.

I will reset over:

Towns layouts - I play offline mostly so I prefer retail near the docks, I also don't like narrow strips of land created by the river, or a layout that doesn't leave room for PWPs.

Native Fruits - The way the perfect orange seem to have a tumor really bothers me. I can tolerate any other kind of fruit, even though in past games I have disliked pears. Luckily, my native fruit, apples, is one of my favorites alongside cherries just because of the nostalgia of my first town.

Train Station Color - I absolutely cannot stand the green train station. The interior's appearance cannot be altered and I think the green metal looks particularly bad with the rest of the default colors. My town's is blue and one of the colors I think looks best.

Unforgivably Placed Rocks - We all know rocks are a natural part of towns. As long as they're not in the way of any major projects or in an extremely inconvenient spot, I am able to work around them.

Badly Placed Permanent PWPs - I made this mistake in my first town on NL. I had been planning to line up my town hall, retail, and the campsite in a vertical line, unfortunately I miscalculated and was off my 1 block. It bothered me so much I eventually reset the game. In my current town, I placed my campsite near the river with room to add related PWPs around it such as the hammock, fire pit, decorative trees, etc. It looks very nice in my opinion.

Last edited:
I want to reset my New Leaf town in the future, but not right now. I feel like I hacked the game a bit too much so now it feels like I rushed the game to the point where it's boring to play. Once I restart my town, I will time travel a bit to get SOME of my stuff back and I will hack in my current villagers. After that, I will barely time travel and I will barely hack the game. Also, there's a glitch in my town where I can't change the fence or pavement (using hacks only changes it for one day then it goes back to normal). Plus, I really don't like my town layout and I feel like hacking it so there's no river will probably screw the game up. There's hardly any room for PWPs and I really want a street of villagers but there isn't enough room.

What would make me reset would be the town map.
The night I got my hands on the game I stayed up until 4am looking for the right map. Now that I have it I don't see myself ever resetting for a new one, I have grown too attached to it. Sometimes I think my town is too narrow but I also think I wouldn't know what to do with it if the layout were that different and wide.

I'd reset if I wanted to really bad and didn't feel like buying another copy of the game. I probably won't reset because I'm really happy with my current towns, but if I get a really good idea in the future who knows.

Back