• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Whyyy do villagers keep moving on my paths still?

StarrySkye3

Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
My Melody Easter Egg
Coco
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Ruby
Peach (Fruit)
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
June Birthstone (Pearl)
Tasty Cake
Mother's Day Carnation
Sakura Easter Egg
I put down squares all over my town to plot the villagers where I wanted them. Most of them follow it but I have a few that keep moving on my pathways. I thought they weren't supposed to do that anymore? I literally put green squares down all over except for enough spots for my houses. But it isn't working! I am sad I just got someone I really wanted and she moved her house down right on top of my path with perfect peaches I had made. :(:(:(

Maybe you have no room in your town for other houses, and thus them having no choice but to move onto paths?

The only reason for this to be happening is that you have not followed the proper requirements for villagers house plots to go into. If the requirements are not met, they will just go on your paths anyway. If it seems as though you have met all the proper spacing requirements, then it might just be that the acre where you want the plot to be in is full. Your town map is divided into invisible acres and there is a limit as to how many villager houses are in one. There are many diagrams on this that you can google. So it can only be these two problems.

That's what I was wondering, but spots where others have moved out of are open and not being moved into. Plus I have several spots where there was always plenty of room. Arggg. I have been working so hard on landscaping too lol. Maybe with my luck a villager was standing in each of those spots when the new one wanted to move in. I was even doing the trick where you are another save file just to make sure she didn't move somewhere I didn't want, but then she was moved in before I even saw where she was plotting!

- - - Post Merge - - -

The only reason for this to be happening is that you have not followed the proper requirements for villagers house plots to go into. If the requirements are not met, they will just go on your paths anyway. If it seems as though you have met all the proper spacing requirements, then it might just be that the acre where you want the plot to be in is full. Your town map is divided into invisible acres and there is a limit as to how many villager houses are in one. There are many diagrams on this that you can google. So it can only be these two problems.

I see, that is probably the issue, because I do have more villagers in one area then the rest. Ah I should have looked into it more!

Not sure if this could be it but the same thing happened to me when I had open spaces of 5x5 for villager houses. I thought that was good enough space but it kept happening until I made the plot size strictly 3x3.

When you say "you are another save file" do you mean that you are using an alternate character file from your mayor? Or are you creating a new character?

Not sure if this could be it but the same thing happened to me when I had open spaces of 5x5 for villager houses. I thought that was good enough space but it kept happening until I made the plot size strictly 3x3.

Really? Interesting because I have several spots with plenty of space, even more than 5x5 in some areas just to allow plenty of room for a villager.

- - - Post Merge - - -

When you say "you are another save file" do you mean that you are using an alternate character file from your mayor? Or are you creating a new character?

I am creating a new character underneath my mayor file, and then I don't follow through with saving it if I don't like who's in my campsite or where a villager has plotted.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the site? Maybe we can help you determine the problem? Where do you want the plot to be in? Also, maybe instead of just placing patterns every other spot, completely fill your town except for a 3x3 spot (with one space in front of where the door should be) where you want the villager to go.

HNI_0020.JPGHNI_0023.JPG

This is where she moved and where I would have wanted her. I guess I had too much space there, there is only one other villager in that area, so I would think she'd be fine there. There is a couple other spots I would have wanted her to move, but now I think it is too populated.

I have this same problem. theres a specific spot (loads of space) where I want the house to be. Instead 80% of the time the villager moves in this little corner whre I placed paths on really close to the office. Theres a couple of other random places the villager will move but NEVER on the huge open space it's at least 7x7.

Just try the strictly 3x3, maybe? Won't hurt to place a few more qrs down. :D

Yeah! :p I am trying this now, hopefully it works. I'm also just reconfiguring the layout so I can accommodate this new villager haha.

I have this same problem. theres a specific spot (loads of space) where I want the house to be. Instead 80% of the time the villager moves in this little corner whre I placed paths on really close to the office. Theres a couple of other random places the villager will move but NEVER on the huge open space it's at least 7x7.

Yeah, I'm going to start filling in all the spaces and leave only 3x3 spaces to see if it helps! YOu should try this too!

Yeah! :p I am trying this now, hopefully it works. I'm also just reconfiguring the layout so I can accommodate this new villager haha.

Yeah, I'm going to start filling in all the spaces and leave only 3x3 spaces to see if it helps! YOu should try this too!

Awesome! Keep us posted.. Curious to see if that was actually it! Good luck! :D

Try to fill everything with paths and leave only 3x3 spaces. It's easier to keep track that way. I do that and I never had a villager who accidentally move in on top of paths or in an area that I don't want them to move. I also have spots with 3x3 or more that are filled with hybrids but I try to cover them (when I expect a villager move-in the next day) with one or two paths on the center or in between because we all know they can move on top of flowers. Same with trees, I surround them with paths just to be safe. It sounds tedious to lay down the paths but it's really worth in the end when the plot goes to where you want them to be in with minimal resetting :)

Awesome! Keep us posted.. Curious to see if that was actually it! Good luck! :D

Seems like that did the trick! Had a new villager move in and then I brought in an amiibo villager and they both went where I wanted them. Interesting! I just put down a ton of qrs and left strictly 3x3 with a door spot open. Thanks for all your help guys! :)

Oh, I'm glad they finally went to where you wanted them! Leaving a space in front of the door isn't really necessary since the plot is exactly 3x3. That single path (in front) would be gone automatically once their house is built. Whatever works for you :)

Back