Pokémon X & Y vs Sun & Moon

What did you like more?

• Total voters
Certain things were easier in X/Y, EV training being one of them. But then breeding is much easier in SuMo so I guess it comes down to what you find most important.
I voted SuMo, I bought them both and they're my favourite Pokemon games to date. X/Y was always a bit cartoon like for me but i loved it for giving me Greninja. The new storylines are so much better, I like the fact we have more to do post game and more legendaries to find. Also really enjoyed the new UB aspect

Last edited:
Sun and Moon over XY.
I honestly enjoyed playing this more that what I had in XY...
Only thing that bothers me is clothing variety... there really isn't much to choose from compared to XY.
Hordes are much preferable and are more entertaining than SOS battles for me.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Difficulty got quite the upgrade in SM.

XY is bad
ORAS is good
SunMoon is bad because theres no pss and no way to talk to friendss

I prefer the PSS over the Festival Plaza (is that the name?). Online play is WAY better in XY. And Mega Evolutions were a brilliant feature as well as character customization to be introduced. The villain (Lysandre) was a badass with a cool Hitler-esque type of motivation. I also wish Super Training was still a thing. Oh well, let bygones be bygones.
The SM story and almost everything else beats XY out of the water.

Last edited:
XY's pokemon roundup had a large amount of really well made pokemon. people still think that gen 6 have the best pokemon (which i agree 100% to). gen 7 didn't have that many amazing pokemon, a lot of pokemon in gen 7 actually feel too natural (mudsdale, passimian, trumbeak, they got so much inspo from irl) but this is all imo.

XY...idk really...damn...the only thing i remember about XY was that you could change your clothes, then again the only thing i remember about XY were ride pokemon. each game had a good gimmick and im glad they cut the **** with introducing new features and cutting them in new gens (being able to change clothes).

XY's villain team was definitely confusing for 10 yo me because the game didn't really establish who they were early on, whereas with pokemon sun/moon you get introduced to team skull early on (DONT MENTION AETHER OK).

characters in XY were **** im sorry LOL this pisses me off so much...serena/calum are the most bland goddamn people in the game, honestly they should have just removed them and made shauna the one you battle for the mega bracelet. trevors deal was the pokedex, tierno was a dancer, and shauna was that other friend...wait then why the **** is serena/calum here? at least give them a quirk too jfc. giving a **** about pokemon battles isnt enough thats what we're for

NOW...characters in pokemon sun/moon were such gr8 characters. lillie's character development made me cry, the professor actually does something besides sit in his lab all day, HUGE GODDAMN PLOT TWIST WITH AETHER...great characters...

but yeah both games are different and its really a fight between what you like better, elegance vs exploration.

ALSO did anyone realise that once you're chosen by the tapus on the island you're there till the tapus want you out??? like wtf???? kinda creepy imo thats a thing i didnt like about sun/moon were the tapus, kinda creepy. if you're a trial captain (a frickin kid) you're stuck there till you grow up, unable to visit any other regions or even islands. i feel bad for all of them tbh.

guzma isnt in xy
neither are primarina, decidueye, golisopod, palossand, type null, toucannon, oranguru, mimikyu, mudsdale or alolan forms
sun and moon >>>>>>>>>>>xy

I feel like X/Y was a bit.. Crappy in the plot elements. It could of been taken a step further, honestly. However, I do applaud the introductions of so many mechanics, such as trainer customization, pokemon amie's developments and the other parts like supertraining and such. However, I do miss those little mini-games in that aspect since SuMo does not have the added spark that this one had. I also loved how beautiful they got the water details in X/Y.

For SuMo, I feel it's way better, due to the fact that not only a new world to explore, brings back old pokemon with a revamped style, more customization and such, and also, they have the new systems. Although be it that they are just almost the same, however, when you add everything else into it, it's great. And finally, what I love and why I find SuMo better, the plot. The plot was beautiful. It actually wretched me, unlike the others, just a tad. The only pokemon games, for some reason, that were able to do that was the spinoffs, especially Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky.

That one broke my heart.

So this one, this one did hit me a bit.

While there are positives and drawbacks to both generations of games, it is clear that Gamefreak has learnt from most of their mistakes since the release of XY. Sun and Moon have the clear superior story, graphics, etc. Though, I'm mad like a lot of people that the PSS was removed and replaced with the Festival Plaza, although it is a nice concept.

Well, um, I mean, both are kinda... subpar?
XY was laughably short and easy, few new Pokemon (and most of them were pretty lame imo), and basically no post-E4 content.
SuMo has the most confusing online experience ever, and even though it is very different for a Pokemon game, it wasn't as enjoyable for me. Also Z-moves just felt shoved in...
Both games had some great music but that's about the only strong positive I'll give them.

Can I just pick OrAs instead? :lemon:

Last edited:
I loved X. I loved the setting, the music, and everything. Like seriously it was the best OST for Pokemon since at least Generation III, if not the best one altogether.

Sun, well, I stopped playing the game before even completing it (well, I technically completed it, but didn't even finish the post-game quests, which is a first for me). Sun/Moon went back to the mostly forgettable OSTs of Generation IV and V, which is saddening after such an amazing OST for X/Y. The setting wasn't exciting at all. Like we already had a tropical setting for Generation III. I'm so tired of tropical settings.

The game was also frustrating. Even with Exp Share on (I tried not to, honestly) I was still getting my butt kicked a lot. My Pokemon felt a lot weaker than in previous Pokemon games. The mechanism where wild Pokemon can call others also made training Pokemon very difficult and frustrating, not to mention catching. Catching Pokemon is so ridiculous in the game because of that... Overall, it made both training and catching Pokemon feel like a chore.

Customization, while I'm glad it returned, felt extremely limited. Like they should have done a lot better than that.

And all in all, I don't really feel like Sun/Moon was the fresh take on the series it was supposed to be. Now I had never thought of Pokemon as being a stale series before and would have never complained about that, but after losing interest in Sun before I should have, it may just be that the series has begun to get stale for me.

Last edited:
I would actually like to see the PSS return in the next Pokemon game. I never experienced it, but I would like to.

(I actually prefer ORAS over both of these but...)
Sun and Moon is by far better than X and Y. In fact, X and Y can't even compare to it, let alone any other Pokemon game, because X and Y was the worst game in the series. :D

Sun and Moon is not the best either, in fact I consider it one of the more middle-of-the-road games, in part because of what it did to the online(Oh god.), but it was a huge step up, the environments were nice and the story was quite nice itself too.

Also Ultra Beasts. <3
Shame they weren't true legendaries but still.

Last edited:
I personally liked Sun and Moon more. I like that they tried to shake things up by having trials instead of the same old gym challenges. I also like the fact that it had four distinct islands rather than just one big region. They characters were also really great in this game (mainly Lillie and Gladion).

X & Y was more enjoyably for me, nothing against Sun and Moon but it just didn't click with me. It felt like a chore and I just stopped playing it one day haha I have no idea what part I was on or what I was doing. Good pokemon though! Lurantis, Tsareena, Mimikyu and Minior are so cute!

Oh yes hi this is something I feel strongly about. XY was pretty awful. Characters, story, etc. were all just really awful. There's a variety of factors contributing to the overall unpopularity of XY. I think a big one is that BW had a pretty unique story. All generations prior to BW had consistent stories and plot twists to the point where it was all too predictable***. BW had a breath of fresh air with story and characters. We all got pretty used to that, so when XY rolled around, I think people wanted a fresh air that BW provided.

I think XY was kinda half-effort, too. Compared to other games, it doesn't look like a ton of effort was put into XY. The introduction of 3D swept us all off our feet into the world of Pokemon with brand new glasses. Mega evolutions revolutionized battling for generations to come. Shiny hunting was given some overdue changes. Although the three are enormous positives, XY wasn't anything too special. This is because the story and characters weren't impressive and looked like it was all thrown together at the last minute. The game was incredibly easy, too. XY was a walk in the park compared to older games, where I had to put actual effort into trying to get through the game. XY brought an end to the era of strategy, level grinding, and effort. Thankfully the era was revived by SM. SM has it's downsides, too, but that's not relevant here.

Keep in mind that all is just my opinion, though.

***Don't get me wrong here. Platinum is actually a favorite of mine, and HGSS were games I really enjoy, too.

I played Moon because of you all here in this thread! I couldn't get into it. It's way too much for me. Like it hardly makes sense, there's just too much added to it. I think I will permanently retire from playing Pokemon now. The first game I ever played was Pokemon (Generation 1) and it will always hold a special place in my heart, but I can't get into any of the newer stuff

- - - Post Merge - - -

I loved X. I loved the setting, the music, and everything. Like seriously it was the best OST for Pokemon since at least Generation III, if not the best one altogether.

Sun, well, I stopped playing the game before even completing it (well, I technically completed it, but didn't even finish the post-game quests, which is a first for me). Sun/Moon went back to the mostly forgettable OSTs of Generation IV and V, which is saddening after such an amazing OST for X/Y. The setting wasn't exciting at all. Like we already had a tropical setting for Generation III. I'm so tired of tropical settings.

The game was also frustrating. Even with Exp Share on (I tried not to, honestly) I was still getting my butt kicked a lot. My Pokemon felt a lot weaker than in previous Pokemon games. The mechanism where wild Pokemon can call others also made training Pokemon very difficult and frustrating, not to mention catching. Catching Pokemon is so ridiculous in the game because of that... Overall, it made both training and catching Pokemon feel like a chore.

Customization, while I'm glad it returned, felt extremely limited. Like they should have done a lot better than that.

And all in all, I don't really feel like Sun/Moon was the fresh take on the series it was supposed to be. Now I had never thought of Pokemon as being a stale series before and would have never complained about that, but after losing interest in Sun before I should have, it may just be that the series has begun to get stale for me.

I agree with everything you said. I don't like the setting at all, I think that may be why some people like it so much. Everything was so overwhelming. And yeah! I always end up training a lot in every game, but in this one I was 20-30 levels above the wild Pokemon and my enemies at all times, yet my attacks were still weak af. I didn't get that. Everything was just weird.

I preferred Sun and Moon mostly because it had a better story line than X and Y. I didn't really get what the main storyline of X and Y was, even though it had/still has the most potential with life and death. To be honest I can't even really remember the storyline all that well except for the giant guy who was almost immortal (?).

I like the calling for back up more than the hoard battles, because you get to choose to prolong the battles or not.
Side characters were better in Sun.
And I have no experience with proper online battling (yet) so I can't compare that.

I kind of missed the gyms though, it was a refreshing change but I liked the little puzzle gyms have and didn't really get that with the trials.
Both games were kind of easy though, I wish the games could bring difficulties into it.

Back