• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon X & Y vs Sun & Moon

What did you like more?

• Total voters

Alolan_Apples

Apple Imperialist
Apple 🍎
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Perfect Apple
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Based on the last two main entries to Pokemon (X & Y, and Sun & Moon), what did you like more? What did Sun & Moon do better than X & Y in? What did X & Y do better than Sun & Moon in? What strengths and weaknesses both have in common?

So far, I only played Sun & Moon (both versions) and not the previous games. I also don't feel like going back (unless if it's Red & Blue), so I can't tell which one is better.

I didn't play X/Y, but I have played most of the rest of the main games. IMO, Pokemon Sun/Moon are the best so far.

Haven't played the new one yet.

Almost always people say the newest games are the best, though.

Haven't played the new one yet.

Almost always people say the newest games are the best, though.

Eh... sometimes. I thought Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were the best until Sun/Moon came out (been playing since 1998 with Blue).

SM is better since it got a new change on the series. However , we all know XY online will always beat SM online

I liked them both a lot, but I think I like S&M just a little more. The story was better and so were the characters imo

I liked Sun and Moon only because of the better graphics haha. The stories both were pretty even :/ I wish there was just more to both games like the past ones =)

definitely sun and moon as ther are much more mechanics and the overall aesthetic, storyline and music is amazing :p

XY had super training which is way easier than wasting tons of FC in festival plaza. It was also easier to trade for Pok?mon from different regions. SM has cooler trainer customization options, though you still can't buy opposite gender items. At least you can take the hat off now. I prefer gyms though. The trials all seem pretty easy so far. It seems a bit easier to catch wild shinies in SM. I got one and my brother got a couple without trying.

Ik I'm in the minority but I prefer X/Y loads over SuMo. Firstly in SuMo the beginning being so painfully slow took me completely out of the story, I personally didn't really like the characters that much, and I saw Lilly as more of an annoying little sister that constantly got herself into trouble that I had to help out against my will. Also the battling frame rate drops drastically if there's more than 2 Pokemon on screen, and it's way too difficult to connect with friends if you want to trade or do anything with them. I honestly didn't really like the graphics that much in general, and in X/Y I felt like I was getting places moving with my character, but in SuMo my character almost feels like their floating when moving around so I don't find it satisfying to move and travel places. Even though both games were fairly easy I found SuMo way easier and too easy, especially with the thing that tells you a moves effectiveness that you can't turn off :mad:. My last two major gripes with SuMo is that the character customization is terrible compared to X/Y, with there only being a few different clothing options, just in a variety of different colors dictated by your game, and there are so little shiny hunting methods that I find post game really boring.

Last edited:
No post game can ever compare to that of GSC and HGSS. Other than this, X and Y were extremely forgettable, but SuMo deserve sequels, you want to know more and more about its interesting characters (Prof. Burnet, Guzma, Lusamine, Gladion and Lillie, and all the Captains and Kahunas, Team Skull Grunt A and B, and especially Kahili!)

I LOVE x&y, but I'm also having a blast with sun&moon. It's a tie for me I think.

I didn't dislike X & Y, but I found it way too easy and the NPCs weren't very likable... Or at least, I found it hard to relate to them. The plot was pretty bland, too. I did love the Friend Safari, though.

Sun & Moon was a bit more challenging, and tried some new stuff, which I appreciated. I loved the music (Gladion's theme was amazing) and adored most of the plot-related characters, even the villains. Also the fire trial is probably the only time in the past few years a Pokemon game has actually made me laugh until I cried. I loved the Alola region, too. I just wish they'd let us fly over it like they do in ORAS.

Pity there's no real endgame besides the Looker stuff.

Editing to add I DID prefer customization options for the male character in X & Y. I have long hair so I much preferred that option in X & Y. There was way more variety of clothing (and for the most part, at more reasonable prices). I also don't prefer the way the WiFi stuff changed for Sun and Moon. It was easier and quicker in X & Y, with O-Powers and the ability to still play while being open to trade and battle requests. It's a weird change that seemed... really backwards.

Still, story, gameplay, characters, and the region itself were better in Sun and Moon, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have to say Sun and Moon tbh.

BUT the trading system on sun and moon...
PSS > Festival Plaza imo.

I like the S/M's story. shiny hunting is good too but i prefer go to online in X/Y rather than S/M. Festival Plaza is really confusing.

idk im on fence there is a lot i like about sun moon but a lot i don't like also. I liked ORuby better . was a nice step forward to XY.

I liked X/Y more. I liked having characters that weren't twelve for once. The clothes were a lot nicer. The characters weren't always getting in my face. And I really love French culture, but that's more of a me thing, I suppose.

Sun and Moon just sort of rubbed me the wrong way, I guess. I didn't really start enjoying it until the end.

(I haven't finished Moon yet, and likely won't for personal reasons. I do have Sun, but I'm putting off starting that since I'm a little upset I won't be able to have my Snorlax in all of his glory. I have never played the post game. I also have only played as the girl character, so I don't have much to say in terms of male customization.)

I prefer X/Y. There was more clothing options and I actually prefer X/Y's art style(?) over SuMo. Going online was easier and less annoying (I mean, come on. I want to be able to be online and still play the game!) The tutorial(s) aren't patronizingly slow and there isn't the annoying effectiveness thing that SuMo has.)

The only things that SuMo did well was Team Skull (if not for the humor factor only.) It also wasn't as easy as X/Y, though the effectiveness thing kinda ruined that.

I really liked the battle style of sun and moon! You can actually see what each move does with the little i on the top right. And I think putting what's effective and what's not really helped some newbies. I liked how detailed the characters looked compared to x and y. I sort of got bored while playing x and y. Though sun and moon had an extremely long start and storyline. I also like how i could easily tell from the beginning what culture this game was/is because of the Hawaiian skirts and tiki torches. Really enjoyed this game. And the night/day thing with lunala and solgaleo was awesome. I really liked how moon was set 12 hours back so we could actually play it during the day! And not 12 - 9 AM. But togedemaru Jenny favorite part. I LOVE how it's like a porcupine ;0; Iron barbs help a lot against fighting and physical attacks. But dedenne is the real winner it's cry is so cute! Also it's design is genius! All the new characters are great except well.. the yungoose family and the raticate family.. those were really disappointing. I didn't like how the Pok?mon you want to hyper train needs to be lvl 100. I liked the gym leaders a bit more than the trial leaders in S/M. I really liked in X/Y you could see the shiny Pok?mon in the grass. That helped a lot. Overall Pok?mon sun and moon win for me.

Back