• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Homophobia

I have more of a concern with transphobia for me than homophobia, as my state seems to be pretty pro-LGB. I just kinda deal with it. Make myself feel better when the LGBT marches come up, I suppose.

All of the homophobia I've experienced has been indirect homophobia. I haven't come out to anyone (other than close friends), and have no plans to do so. I'm not going to potentially put myself in danger because straight people feel like they need to know something they have no business knowing.

coming out is a weird concept. no one comes out for being straight and people treat it as basically this massive thing that you're either so special for being gay or that you're a terrible person for being gay (or bi, etc.). it's quite terrible.
i wish no one would care. i have a pretty big divide in my family too. it makes me feel uncomfortable because my mom likes me more for just having a sexuality which shouldnt define me and then theres the family members that would want nothing to do with me.

Last edited:
I live in California, but I live in a kind of "hick" area of California so there are a LOT of anti-lgbt people here. My really good friend came out in Highschool and everyone always teased him and made fun of him, thankfully he had enough friends protecting him that he didn't get beaten up for it or anything, but it was kind of sad when people would make fun of him for it since he's such a great guy. My mom is really homophobic against lesbians, she doesn't have the same problem with gay men, but lesbians she can't stand, would make barfing noises when I would watch Rent, like that homophobic, so I've never come out to her as pan, which was fun in middle school when I was dating my long time friend cause we'd be behind closed doors all the time without her being the wiser. ;]

I just don't understand why people can't be accepting of what other people do. Like it's none of their business.
Anyway, I have some religious people added on Faceboook and they talk about how it is "a sin to be gay".
I just say screw it. As long as they aren't hurting each other or anyone else, it should be fine.

Coming out under your circumstances is difficult, and I don't know you well enough to give advice. However, I'll say this.

Come out when you're ready. Don't ever feel like if you wait, it'll be "too late" to come out. Never come out because you feel pressured, or like you're running out of time, or because you feel threatened. You are not lying by not coming out. If you feel like you'd be losing something by coming out in your current situation, there WILL be a better time to come out.

I just don't understand why people can't be accepting of what other people do. Like it's none of their business.
Anyway, I have some religious people added on Faceboook and they talk about how it is "a sin to be gay".
I just say screw it. As long as they aren't hurting each other or anyone else, it should be fine.

The trouble with religious people who claim it's a sin to be gay is that they don't believe that because they've read it in the Bible, they just use the Bible as an excuse. There's many things that 'God' says is a sin. The chances are they don't follow all of it. Unless of course they never cut their hair or wear any mixed fabric clothing. It's just picking and choosing what bits to follow to suit their agenda. For some sad reason some people just enjoy being able to exclude others.

Here in the UK, people are quite accepting or they don't care at all lol. My dad (who I live with) doesn't support LGBT rights (also thinks Trump is a saint), while my mum supports it and my half-sister does too. The first time I came out as bi to somebody, they didn't tell a soul, which I was okay about and he was extremely supportive of me. We got into a huge spat and we practically hated each other, I had to move schools because of it, but he kept good on his promise I believe.

The second time I came out to my best friend (not the first one). She pretended to be supportive but there was a leak in her conversations to someone else I hated (they got into legal trouble) and she was telling other people that I was gross and that I should just "make my mind up".

There's always the odd people who don't support it. Definitely don't come out if it risks your safety and welfare. If you have a family that would kick you out for being gay, don't come out unless you have a back-up plan. I'm waiting till my 16th birthday to come out and then go live with my mother.

I live in PA and most people are pretty tolerant and don't care if ur gay even though there's a lot of ugly ass hicks. People still make a lot of homophobic comments but no one has actually treated me any different or directed any of those comments to me. That might be different for fem gays tho.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm out tho i'm pretty under the gaydar

Last edited:
I live in a relatively okay place for LGBT people but I'm not really out to everyone either. I'm out to my Mom and my best friend but there are a lot of people where I'm still on the fence about whether or not to be open or not. TBH though the people who bother me the most aren't the people who are openly homophobic/transphobic, but the ones who completely avoid commenting on what they think of LGBT people. Act as though LGBT people don't exist and don't comment on whether or not they support us or hate us. At least with more openly bigoted people, I know in advance that their reaction won't be what I want it to be, and can prepare myself accordingly. Although that might just be my own personal situation because my half-siblings mother hasn't ever shown allyship or homophobia/transphobia, and I've been worried for a while that if I come out, I might not be allowed to talk to my half-siblings anymore, and she's just given no real indication of her views on LGBT people.

Back