• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

City Folk or GC version?

Bubblebeam

Liquor is quicker.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Mailbox
Tasty Cake
I've been feeling like having another AC game on the side from NL and HHD, but coming from someone who's only played WW and NL, I'm not sure which of the big TV titles would be better for me.

I did buy CF years back and had a very brief try, but I found the controls were very tedious. I was probably only trying with the wii remote (and nunchuck possibly?) so if there's another easier control method, that would definitely give points to getting CF again. I've seen gameplay videos where I didn't see a cursor and the gameplay seemed very nice and snappy. Were these people using a GC controller possibly? Or something else?

Which of the two games has more events and/or animals? Is the GC game still considered smooth or does it appear choppy like WW seems to? Which game offers more on the whole in your opinions?

Thank you in advance for any guidance. :lemon:

Both games run very smooth, even if the graphics on the GCN version are a tad dated. The GCN game however had a few more events such as the lighthouse event in January, the Morning Aerobics in August and Sports Fair in Spring and Autumn. City Folk is quite similar to Wild World, but with more content: it has a city and most of the holidays that were absent in Wild World were brought back. I believe that you can use a Classic controller or a GameCube controller to move around in City Folk but I really can't remember. Personally, I'd get both since they are both very good games.

I may just do that and get both. I'm trying out AC on Gamecube on computer first to be sure I'll get into it. The map feels so much bigger than the DS game equivalents. Maybe it's an illusion due to the map sectioning thing, but it sure feels bigger.

I love that there's a dump. That's totally new to me and gives more of a town feel. Do you just chuck anything within the fence for it to disappear first thing on certain days? Do the animals chuck stuff there too?

city folk was the first game i played so i might be a bit bias, but i've always loved the game.
the plaza and everything was so fun, and the music was so cute!! rly miss it, ah.
oh! and getting to work for nook was tedious but a blast!!
wish i still had the game, probably would still play it tbh.

CF seems to be super cheap in my country so I'm gonna grab it. Still unsure about the controls though. I've read things that seem to indicate the wiimote and nunchuck are the only methods of playing, which I found very tedious. Pointing at buttons, I'd often hit the wrong thing. Is there a way around that?

I'd get the GameCube version. It feels more real I guess. The villagers have a lot more to say, and the music is SOOO good. The dump was awesome. It has better events IMO. The villagers are more realistic in terms off how they speak to you (as in they start of pretty mean - especially the crankies and snooties - but overtime they get to know you better and they become nicer).
I'd get the GC version. Unless, of course, you really enjoyed WW, then get CF.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't read that you're getting City Folk! Sorry! Enjoy the game, it's really good. :)

Last edited:
I like City Folk more because I don't really like he way the character moves in the GameCube version, it makes me kinda sick. Although I do love it so much for so many reasons, and it's definitely #1 in nostalgia and memories. However, CF is easier to watch and clearer all around, and I like the city.

City Folk is my favorite. GC had more events and more to do everyday so if you want to be more occupied, I would pick up the GC one. The Wii one is the one I grew up with so I obviously have a lot of nostalgia from it but in my opinion, I would go with City Folk cause it had amazing music and the graphics were amazing making the game feel brand new. Now i'm not saying the GC one doesn't look good, i'm just saying the Wii made it look better. Also controls for City Folk aren't very complicated. It's either you play with the by point and pressing A (like a point and click adventure) and running with B, or you can have the nunchuck where you have a lot more movement control wise, you run with Z, and c is to interact. You don't even have to the Wiimote in hand. Or you can have both. It's whatever feels comfortable. Whatever one you get though, will be fun either way.

I could never get into City Folk. It felt a lot less interesting and more restrictive, the animals seemed to have less dialogue and like you said, the controls were annoying. Never having gotten too deep into it, I can't say for certain, but I feel like I've read over the past few years that the grass erosion feature in this game was horrendous and would ruin the look of towns. It seems bad enough in New Leaf so I wouldn't be able to put up with that.

Meanwhile I love the GameCube game. It has a unique feel all its own, fun events and exclusive features. Also, as I recall, Cranky villagers had more of a, well, cranky disposition than you encounter in New Leaf that felt more appropriate given the name. Definitely the one I'd recommend of the two.

Last edited:
They're completely different games, in my eyes. They're really nothing alike. Personally, I love City Folk more, but that's probably just because I have so many fond memories of playing it on Wi-Fi. Some would say I wasted my whole childhood on it, but wasted is definitely not the word that I would use!

If you've played WW you've technically seen CF. CF is just a nicely enhanced version of WW, nothing wrong with that. However, if you are looking for a new game to play I suggest the GC. It's just so different in so many ways and I just love it so much for it. So many little details are different, so many little events. <3

Back