Trump is moving into the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are we talking about?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, I see.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well. Here's the bottom line.

Trump has four years in office. He can do terrible, he can do good.

I think the most terrifying thing are a few of his cabinet picks, one or two and Mike Pence.

I think that protests have the right to protest but not act like barbarians.

I agree with Raskell. It's totally fine for people to protest. That is their constitutional right, after all. But they shouldn't be violent or causing property damage.

Last night I saw some clips on the news of stores in DC with their front windows shattered. These are stores I literally just walked by a few weeks ago. It's really surreal.

They're being whiny crybabies that didn't get that popsicle flavor they wanted to get.

I agree with Raskell. It's totally fine for people to protest. That is their constitutional right, after all. But they shouldn't be violent or causing property damage.

hi, go read a ****ing history book and tell me how many times stuff got changed by protesters being nice

Last night I saw some clips on the news of stores in DC with their front windows shattered. These are stores I literally just walked by a few weeks ago. It's really surreal.

and **** you for insintuating that windows are more important than human life

this is prob gonna sound extremely biased lol but i just don't see how trump is supportive of the LGBT community whatsoever? especially after the LGBT page got taken down on their site lol like..

hi, go read a ****ing history book and tell me how many times stuff got changed by protesters being nice

Wow. OK then. Someone needs to take a chill pill. I can't see how a single thing I said would be insulting or upsetting enough to use that sort of language. I thought we were all having a reasonable discussion here.

- - - Post Merge - - -

this is prob gonna sound extremely biased lol but i just don't see how trump is supportive of the LGBT community whatsoever? especially after the LGBT page got taken down on their site lol like..

I don't know if he's truly supportive. I think he's indifferent to it.

My issue is that some of the people that he has in his team (Pence and some of Trump's cabinet) are NOT LGBT friendly. And, with the way politics works, some of those people are going to try to tell Trump to do x thing because the Republican party supported him. And, to play the political game, Trump will end up agreeing to some of those things.

Honestly, I think some of those cabinet picks actually happened because of what I just said: that Trump himself didn't necessarily want them, but someone in the Republican Party made him feel like he owed them (or Trump himself didn't know who to pick maybe?), and so that's who he put forward as a name.

That doesn't sound like extreme bias at all. By removing the LGBT references on government sites, that's like if the admins on this site delete the Museum board or Gamers Lounge board. Jeremy would never do that.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Just grow up. Posts like these aren't going to make you get far. There's no need to be upset like that.

Last edited:
well, I mean if you want to do their homework for them then be my guest

You're making it seem like violence always is the answer. It's not.

Heck, we just recently had Martin Luther King Day. Mr. King advocated for peaceful protests himself. And he's seen as one of the major historical figures for civil rights in general, but especially civil rights for blacks.

So yeah. That's why I don't know why you're acting that way.

Half a million people are being generalized as rioters because store windows have been smashed. Like with most protests, the focus is quickly on those who are violent (and rightfully so), but we forget that the majority actually protests peacefully. If all of those 500.000 people were there to violently protest Trump's presidency, the military would have had to show up to defend the white house. Also, with how much Trump has talked about the elections being rigged, if he would have lost, there would have been protests (and riots) too. Maybe not as many people, but the atmosphere created by calling the elections rigged was vile. So to say republicans would not have protested the loss of Trump, or the win of Clinton is just naive.

Raskell, about that bottom line: if he does well, it will be a surprise contradicting the signs that he is giving at the moment. However, if he does wrong, then it is not a good thing to let him run unopposed for four years "because we gave him a chance". That's how the system works, no one has absolute power and there are checks and balances. The media who are now talking about the wrongdoings that the Trump administration is doing, are checking. Now congress needs to do the balancing. In between are the people, who are hearing the checks and now voicing their opinion about it, to make sure those balances will come. The people speak, and if Trump truly wants to give back politics to the people, he should listen.
But instead he is constantly undermining the checks, by saying the media are lying. And because he is insinuating that the media have some kind of vendetta against him, the media cannot be the checks anymore. At the same time, all common people have jobs and families and lives, they are too busy to investigate thoroughly what goes on, and thus cannot be the checks either. The only checks we then have is the speeches that Trump himself gives. However, checking yourself or your own side, is not a check, that's a farce. So then we end up with an unchecked government that can do whatever they want.
And don't say that congress can check, they are not independent from the government, as they are the government. Every congressman and woman has their own agenda, they all play the game of politics and therefore cannot speak the full truth, lest their game falls apart.

Edit: Sorry for the long posts, I try to make short points, but there is just too much nuance involved to make it short.

Last edited:
Heck, we just recently had Martin Luther King Day. Mr. King advocated for peaceful protests himself. And he's seen as one of the major historical figures for civil rights in general, but especially civil rights for blacks.

“If they continue to use our nonviolence as a cushion for complacency, the wrath of those suffering a long train of abuses will rise.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

even advocating peaceful protests, he understood and respected the more violent portions as legitimate voices of the group

does it suck that property is being damaged and protesters are causing problems for other citizens? sure, but if that's what it takes to be noticed then that's what it takes

if you want to be upset at anything, be upset at the system that forced these protests in the first place

We need stricter laws to protect protesters if anything. A small minority of them are actually violent and police forces always try to paint them as violent, and have the complete power to do so if they feel like it. I mean we all saw what was exposed at standing rock where they accused Native American water protectors of being violent and starting fires when it was actually the police's stun grenades that set them off and investigative journalists caught it on video. Not to mention the police were power hosing them in subzero temperatures to put out the fires that they started with their grenades. That's anecdotal but the justice system in this country has a lot of problems which is obvious and you're na?ve if you think otherwise. The whole reason our country started is because of people protesting the government and we shouldn't be pressuring people to comply or "stop being crybabies" because you don't like opposition.

Last edited:
Throwing obscenities at people because they don't agree with the violence prevalent in the protests going on (or violence in general) shows what type of person you are.

From what I've seen his inauguration was not only 250,000. The media predicted that Trump would have lost, he didn't. The media estimated 250,000 people at his inauguration, um - it was definitely more.

Obama only had such an outcome because he was the first black president.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yes. I agree with this 100%.

If Hillary would have won, Trump supporters wouldn't have thrown a hissy-fit.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The estimation also came from Dan Gross. One report.

Bottom line.

It wasn't the best weather.
His speech was inspirational.
I saw way more than 250k.

Obama had massive numbers at both his inaugurations sweatie :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

They're being whiny crybabies that didn't get that popsicle flavor they wanted to get.

Ah like the rightwing starting the racist birther nonsense during Obama's presidency!

Or every single rightwing "conspiracy" about him.

“If they continue to use our nonviolence as a cushion for complacency, the wrath of those suffering a long train of abuses will rise.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

even advocating peaceful protests, he understood and respected the more violent portions as legitimate voices of the group

does it suck that property is being damaged and protesters are causing problems for other citizens? sure, but if that's what it takes to be noticed then that's what it takes

if you want to be upset at anything, be upset at the system that forced these protests in the first place

I didn't think this needed to be said, but I guess it does. Regardless of the issue at hand, people do not have the right to destroy the property of others. It's not the system's fault at all either. We had a %40 voter turnout for the recent election and a majority of the people who stayed home were Independent and Democrats. Am I happy with who we have? No. But I'm also not some whiny child who tries to blame the government when it is the people around you, other citizens, who are at fault for who we have in office now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back