• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

ACWW frame rate on 3DS?

Bubblebeam

Liquor is quicker.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Mailbox
Tasty Cake
I can't tell whether WW was always poor with framerate and I never noticed (having no better comparison back then) or whether the 3DS just doesn't cope well with it. I have an original 3DS model (the lavender pink build) and trying to run around my old WW map was a challenge in itself due to the game slugging up, more at some spots than others. I do have a plethora of weeds, and it was snowing, so maybe that overloaded things? It's hard to tell having been used to New Leaf all these years. It's hard to believe Wild World was where it all started for me.

Wild World always had framerate issues whether you're playing it on the DS or 3DS. You've probably never noticed it but I've noticed it in some videos.

Wild World runs at 20fps tops when in your town and slows down considerably with three villagers on screen at once. I guess lots of weeds and snow won't help matters much.

Anyway, don't worry about the frame rates as there's nothing you can really do about it, unless you wish to use an emulator. R4 cards make matters worse.

One thing that may make it appear to have a lower frame rate is that, when comparing with a DS Lite and 3DS, the Lite has more screen ghosting, so it kind of blurs everything together when moving, whereas the 3DS gives a crisper image when in motion which will make it appear a little more jittery. I can't say for other DS models but they're probably a similar story.

This is a really interesting thread to see pop up as I noticed this myself a few years back around New Leaf's release. As others said, it has nothing to do with the 3DS, Wild World really does run that poorly. It's really strange to witness because I don't remember the frame rate being poor at all in my memories back then, but now it's incredibly jarring to see. Quite insightful to see other people notice it as well and that I'm not the only one with weirdly rose tinted glasses on this.

Also interesting is how I don't recall the game being knocked for it in reviews at all, but if it released today at that frame-rate, it would be torn to shreds by both regular players and reviews. The standards have certainly changed.

I played it just recently, for nostalgia, and it looks so awful in comparison. I could hardly play it at all. In retrospective, you just don't seem to notice things like that.

Yeah, I tried playing recently for the first time in years and yikes it looks atrocious. I couldn't play it for long.

I booted up for nostalgia as well, and I would even restart and play again if not for the appalling framerate (not to mention the Nookingtons issue). While the game has endless happy memories, it also brings back bad ones, as I played with my online ex on it religiously. My town still has many of our letters, and some patterns he created for me. It's like a place frozen in time.

While most AC games are very similar, there's some things in WW that NL doesn't have and those are the things that I miss. The flea market days where you can enter any animals house and buy their furniture; I miss that event most of all. And donating to Boondox. The recycling bin at the town hall/post office. The flat beaches (which is ironic as I remember many of us looking forward to NL's cliffs at the time). I even miss just being a resident and not a mayor sometimes!

Also interesting is how I don't recall the game being knocked for it in reviews at all, but if it released today at that frame-rate, it would be torn to shreds by both regular players and reviews. The standards have certainly changed.

I guess since it's a handheld game with no action, it didn't really matter to the reviewers, but it's not like all games had this frame rate. Sonic '06 had a lot of slowdown and The Simpsons Hit & Run had a lot of frame skipping, but these games didn't have it quite as consistently.

In fact, maybe that's it. Take the Nintendo Switch presentation, for example. It is on YouTube at 60fps, but stuff such as trailers are at 24fps in it. Assuming you have a 60Hz monitor, there's no difference between watching a 24fps video with an actual frame rate of 60fps compared to 24 at 24, but they still looked bad due to being a third of the frame rate compared to everything else. Films will rarely look bad, but as soon as you start mixing 24/25fps content with 50/60fps content, it becomes apparent that it's really not that great.

So, perhaps because Wild World would almost always run at a poor framerate, even in menus and such, it just wasn't noticeable due to there being no direct comparison.

While most AC games are very similar, there's some things in WW that NL doesn't have and those are the things that I miss. The flea market days where you can enter any animals house and buy their furniture; I miss that event most of all. And donating to Boondox. The recycling bin at the town hall/post office. The flat beaches (which is ironic as I remember many of us looking forward to NL's cliffs at the time). I even miss just being a resident and not a mayor sometimes!

I literally just mentioned this stuff to my younger sister the other day, ESPECIALLY the Boondox. I was like "remember when you could get the feathers by donating to the Boondox?" and she was so confused and it took a second for me to realize and fully comprehend that New Leaf had been her first Animal Crossing (and she liked it but didn't stick to it very long, she's a hopper).

Wild World was my first actual DS game if I'm remembering correctly, I didn't get a DS until like 2 years or so after it was released. And then my older cousin gave me Wild World and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I also went back recently to see if my gang was still there: Tangy, Whitney, Kiki, Derwin, the whole shebang and as soon as I booted it up I didn't even make it to Kiki's house I was like WHAT IS THIS GOBLIN OF A GAME JFC and had to turn it off before I sullied my good memories any further.

I literally knew nothing about Animal Crossing when I bought WW. I just stumbled across it on Amazon (I think) and thought, "What a cute case cover! I've got to try this!". I don't think any other game has sold itself to me before purely because of its art cover.

Remember how Pelly would describe Boondox as a place where the animals had to eat dirt? Over time I even created an image of the place in my head and donated purely out of good will (not knowing about the feathers) LOL.

I literally knew nothing about Animal Crossing when I bought WW. I just stumbled across it on Amazon (I think) and thought, "What a cute case cover! I've got to try this!". I don't think any other game has sold itself to me before purely because of its art cover.

Remember how Pelly would describe Boondox as a place where the animals had to eat dirt? Over time I even created an image of the place in my head and donated purely out of good will (not knowing about the feathers) LOL.

Yeah they ate, like, "dirt sandwiches" or something and I remember being like "omg what I must help."

Their little feathers that they sent you out of appreciation were always sweet. I honestly am unsure how to get feathers in New Leaf because the ones I have were bought on the tbt marketplace lmaooo

Last edited:
Back on topic with the game's framerate. It seems that quite a few games that were released around the same time on other platforms had framerate issues too. For example, GTA Vice City on the PS2 would lose a lot of framerate if trails were on, SSX 3 on the PS2 lagged in some areas and Battlefield 2 on the PS2 pretty much had framerate issues almost everywhere. Still bothers me how Wild World lags yet Super Mario 64 DS (which has more stuff on-screen) doesn't.

Back on topic with the game's framerate. It seems that quite a few games that were released around the same time on other platforms had framerate issues too. For example, GTA Vice City on the PS2 would lose a lot of framerate if trails were on, SSX 3 on the PS2 lagged in some areas and Battlefield 2 on the PS2 pretty much had framerate issues almost everywhere. Still bothers me how Wild World lags yet Super Mario 64 DS (which has more stuff on-screen) doesn't.

So many PS2 games have frame rate issues. From my tiny collection, add Shadow the Hedgehog, The Simpsons Hit & Run, The Simpsons Road Rage and The Simpsons Game to that list.

So many PS2 games have frame rate issues. From my tiny collection, add Shadow the Hedgehog, The Simpsons Hit & Run, The Simpsons Road Rage and The Simpsons Game to that list.

I love my PS2 and it's still in prime condition. I'm scared to go back to, like, my Crash Bandicoot or Sly Cooper and see that there is major stuttering and ruin my sparkly dreams.

But yeah, I've been going back to a lot of old games lately and I'm really seeing the differences in framerate between them and games now. Because of this thread, I can't NOT see it hnnnnng

This is a really interesting thread to see pop up as I noticed this myself a few years back around New Leaf's release. As others said, it has nothing to do with the 3DS, Wild World really does run that poorly. It's really strange to witness because I don't remember the frame rate being poor at all in my memories back then, but now it's incredibly jarring to see. Quite insightful to see other people notice it as well and that I'm not the only one with weirdly rose tinted glasses on this.

I remember back when I payed Wild World that I thought to myself "damn this game looks so good, don't know how they could ever make better graphics than this" lol rip me

I remember back when I payed Wild World that I thought to myself "damn this game looks so good, don't know how they could ever make better graphics than this" lol rip me

God, yes. It was like one of those memes where it shows a crappy pic of something and the caption is "this is what peak peprformance looms like" and that was basically me with Wild World except no meme, just what I actuall thought. Naive little Steph.

I love my PS2 and it's still in prime condition. I'm scared to go back to, like, my Crash Bandicoot or Sly Cooper and see that there is major stuttering and ruin my sparkly dreams.

Are you implying that you played a PS2 Crash Bandicoot game? Stick with Crash Bandicoot, 2, 3. The eBay prices are too high, though, so I got them running on my PS2 through the magic of piracy and Blu-Tack. They seem to run at a solid 25fps (presumably 30fps for NTSC systems), but I've somehow lost the discs since. Perhaps got tidied away due to being in plain cases.

Are you implying that you played a PS2 Crash Bandicoot game? Stick with Crash Bandicoot, 2, 3. The eBay prices are too high, though, so I got them running on my PS2 through the magic of piracy and Blu-Tack. They seem to run at a solid 25fps (presumably 30fps for NTSC systems), but I've somehow lost the discs since. Perhaps got tidied away due to being in plain cases.

Yes, it was the Wrath of Cortex. That game and the Sly Cooper game are ones my dad had bought to gift me along with the ps2 that Christmas so they were my treasures.

I was playing WW for so many months back in 2015, that I was surprised at CF's smooth framerate when I first got the game.

Back