• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Secret Storage Room downside?

ceribells

Shady Something or Other
Bells
Vesta
Mailbox
Yellow Candy
Obviously, the secret storage room is one of the best things about the WA update. But ever since I got it, when villagers come to my house, they always mention in their letters that they wish they had seen all of my house. Every time, every villager. I make a point to talk to them at least twice in each room (and I only have the main floor, basement, and top floor atm) and again when we pass back through the main floor. Then let them leave when they please.

Anybody else have this issue? I can't help but think it's related, even though this particular house upgrade isn't actually a room.

Umm... it's in the name. SECRET storage room. No one is supposed to see it.

I've had a few of them over and none of them say that in the letters they send. But some of them send me stuff to put on my walls so Idk.

The only downside imo is that you can't access it anywhere else but your house and even that is not too much trouble. I just put stuff I access frequently in the regular storage and use the secret one for leftover furniture, etc.

Can't say I've had this happen to me... When I have villagers over, I've had one comment on the secret storage room, about how secretive it was, or something like that.
But it wasn't mentioned in letters, or any time after that.

That's odd, though...

No mention in a letter but they do bring up a secret room when they visit.
5 villagers have mentioned the secret room.

I think this is because your house isn't fully upgraded yet. Even before the update, villagers in Flint were always sending those depressing letters to my mayor. I believe it's just a glitch in the game, where the villager's letter doesn't recognize that they saw all the rooms of your house unless you've expanded so that you have the full six rooms to show them. Something in the code seems to treat the unbuilt rooms as "missing" from the house tour.

I had June and W. Link come over but neither of them mentioned about it in their dialogues or letters. The only downside that I could think of right now is you can't access it in your own station and when you visit other towns. It's a pain to transfer. I guess they took it 'literally' when they've added that and what secret storage really mean.

If you are willing to read through what doesn't seem to be related, there is a bit at the end:

Prior to the update a few players on gamefaqs were looking at villager visits and what happened if you partially blocked the entrance to other rooms (from the main room). Ie instead of two spaces to exit/enter a room there was only one, the other space filled with a furniture item.
Some players found that sometimes the villager would not follow them into the other room.

Most of my rooms are partially blocked, (cos my houses are set up for feng shui & I try to max it out) - and yet I never have had this problem. Villagers would follow me into other rooms, albeit they would sometimes hover in the corridor (ie at a loading screen, programming wise).

I thought the problem with a villager not moving between rooms was how you had all the furniture arranged in the room. ie the game had some sort of algorithm that calculated empty spaces (a bit say like a chess board, and whether a piece can make a valid move) & if the criteria wasn't met the villager would not move between rooms.

All my furniture was around the sides, with an empty middle (for feng shui).
If I moved some of the furniture (I was up to the max of 48 items) into the middle then although the villager would still follow me into another room - they mentioned the fact I had a secret room, something they could not access. Where this was definitely not the case - the villager did still follow me into every room. This is prior the update. Not done any testing since.

I can't remember reading anything about this in their letters, all I'm saying is there was some sort of secret room dialog that could be triggered prior to the update.
And this may well not be the same as what OP has experienced - ie their dialog is/maybe related to the secret storage.

The programming for this game is probably more complicated than the simplicity of the game would imply.

They've remarked on the storage room in person (saying it's cool or something), but I got these types of letters before the update, like if I didn't take them into the basement at all or something. Which makes sense if I actually didn't show them a room, unlike now where I'm showing them the whole house and they're still complaining. The point about the expansions is interesting, though I can't remember this situation occurring before the update or in my old town. Anyway, thanks for weighing in, guys. It isn't a real issue, I just wonder if it's affecting my friendship level with them.

I've never had villagers remark on my secret storage room yet. They will sometimes mention a secret room (not storage) if you don't take them into a particular room. They did that pre-update too.

Back