Help, Can't Play New Update :(

humanfinn

90's grunge boy
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
November Birthstone (Topaz)
I've been out of playing Animal Crossing for a while now, and since I've been gone they've updated the game, but for some reason when I try playing, it refuses to load my game. Whenever I try to load my game with the update it will come to the main menu but as soon as I try loading my save it tells me that there's an error and to power off my 3DS and reinsert the cartridge. I've tried doing that multiple time,s and it still won't let me play. :( I've also tried deleting the update and reinstalling it and it still won't work. When I delete the update I can still play my game, so that's a plus, but I'd really like to play the new update. So if anyone could help it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry I can't help but you could contact Nintendo. There is a contact phone number on their website for 3DS support.

Yeah Nintendo customer services are pretty good at getting back to you quickly
Could it be a problem with the cart? How old is it?

I've been out of playing Animal Crossing for a while now, and since I've been gone they've updated the game, but for some reason when I try playing, it refuses to load my game. Whenever I try to load my game with the update it will come to the main menu but as soon as I try loading my save it tells me that there's an error and to power off my 3DS and reinsert the cartridge. I've tried doing that multiple time,s and it still won't let me play. :( I've also tried deleting the update and reinstalling it and it still won't work. When I delete the update I can still play my game, so that's a plus, but I'd really like to play the new update. So if anyone could help it'd be much appreciated.

Note that both the cartridge and 3DS MUST be updated in order to work. The other way is neither is updated. From your statement that you can play after removing the update, I'd guess that you merely need to update your cartridge.

Note that both the cartridge and 3DS MUST be updated in order to work. The other way is neither is updated. From your statement that you can play after removing the update, I'd guess that you merely need to update your cartridge.

I know I have the cartridge updated because whenever I open the game it shows the updated logo as well as tells me it's making preparations to play, but seconds after it tells me an error occurred. I emailed and called Nintendo and they haven't been able to help :(

I know I have the cartridge updated because whenever I open the game it shows the updated logo as well as tells me it's making preparations to play, but seconds after it tells me an error occurred. I emailed and called Nintendo and they haven't been able to help :(

I have yet to do this, but you need a minimum 3DS firmware of 11.2 to play the new update. You can check your systems firmware by going into the system settings, and looking at the top screen in the bottom right corner, and ends in a capital letter U, E, or J depending on your system region (Example: 11.2.0-35U ). If your firmware is not 11.2 or above, you can update your system manually through "Other settings" + "System Update".

Yeah Nintendo customer services are pretty good at getting back to you quickly
Could it be a problem with the cart? How old is it?
I've had the same cart since the game was first released, but I don't believe it's the cart because as soon as I delete the update or remove the SD card it will load and play my save perfectly fine.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have yet to do this, but you need a minimum 3DS firmware of 11.2 to play the new update. You can check your systems firmware by going into the system settings, and looking at the top screen in the bottom right corner, and ends in a capital letter U, E, or J depending on your system region (Example: 11.2.0-35U ). If your firmware is not 11.2 or above, you can update your system manually through "Other settings" + "System Update".
I'm running ver. 11.2.0-35U on both systems

Last edited:
Are you sure it isn't hacked? Mine's hacked. Haven't attempted to update mine yet, though. I'll let you know whether I have any problems with mine.

A stream on twitch had a problem with his copy not working. He removed the update and his town was back. Added update back and it didn't work.

It finally clicked that a person dropped a wrapped present in his town. Unwrap it and it's a wrapped present again. It just kept doing it. To fix it he dropped it on the ground, made a new saved file, picked it up, save/quit and than removed the new saved file. He than added the update and everything worked.

A stream on twitch had a problem with his copy not working. He removed the update and his town was back. Added update back and it didn't work.

It finally clicked that a person dropped a wrapped present in his town. Unwrap it and it's a wrapped present again. It just kept doing it. To fix it he dropped it on the ground, made a new saved file, picked it up, save/quit and than removed the new saved file. He than added the update and everything worked.
That... is a bizarre glitch. o.o;

I'm also trying to wrap my head around this issue, but I honestly can't think of anything and I'm really sorry your game isn't working!

I've searched my entire town for anything on the ground and I've found nothing. It's so annoying and confusing not knowing exactly why it's not working.

- - - Post Merge - - -

That... is a bizarre glitch. o.o;

I'm also trying to wrap my head around this issue, but I honestly can't think of anything and I'm really sorry your game isn't working!
Thank you! I guess the best thing to do is keep trying, I'm just happy I can still play my save because I've heard a lot of people with this issue lose their save.

I think you should take it in for a repair. Nintendo will know what's going on. Talking to 'em on the phone doesn't do much good, unfortunately.

That actually is a special hacked item called the "infinity gift wrapped gift" from before the update and not a glitch but not sure from which hacking program/modification program it was from. If he picked it up at anytime in a dream town or had someone over who left it there I don't know how a special made hacked item like that would end up on a non hacked town. It is in no way a glitch and most who follow this stuff know about the "infinity gift wrapped gift". However, I can say no matter how they got it, it would not necessarily be the cause of the issue of not being able to play the game. Virtually all hacked items are/were transported safely into the new update. They patched only a few methods of how you can hack, however, just a few weeks ago a new hack method came out so all of that patching was kinda pointless to do. I know all of this not because I do it personally but because I search the internet frequently on hacking the new update. There are actually 2 welcome amiibo updates and with each one it has to update BOTH your cartridge and your system. There was the initial update and then I believe a few days later another update happened. I have all my carts updated only to the first one. It could be that your game is glitching between the two updates not knowing which one to use if one part was updated only once but the other was updated both times. It doesn't know which one to use. This issue was stated to happen with the initial update but the reverse action would happen-if you installed the update but then delated it, since the update effects both the cartridge and system, once uninstalled from one but not the other you would not be able to play the game and would need to reinstall the update both times.
It sounds like your game and your system is not installing and unistalling BOTH updates for both game and system. Unless you take it in or are able to scan your system and your game individually yourself and completely remove every file from both updates and then reinstall both to both game and system not much you will be able to do. I hope I have explained it well.
Most people don't know of the second update that happened because it wasn't widely announced. It was only made known that there was an update, not how many there were. If I could take screen shots of what I mean by have both updates I would. My game shows up with the first amiibo update screen splashed across my screen but when I go to play it says a another new update is available. I have two options that come up Y.launch or I think A.install update. I always chose Y.launch. I don't want to install the second update as I am too afraid I might wind up with same problem as you.

And soooo damn sorry for being long winded. Really hard to explain all this without being. ;)

Last edited:
That actually is a special hacked item called the "infinity gift wrapped gift" from before the update and not a glitch but not sure from which hacking program/modification program it was from. If he picked it up at anytime in a dream town or had someone over who left it there I don't know how a special made hacked item like that would end up on a non hacked town. It is in no way a glitch and most who follow this stuff know about the "infinity gift wrapped gift". However, I can say no matter how they got it, it would not necessarily be the cause of the issue of not being able to play the game. Virtually all hacked items are/were transported safely into the new update. They patched only a few methods of how you can hack, however, just a few weeks ago a new hack method came out so all of that patching was kinda pointless to do. I know all of this not because I do it personally but because I search the internet frequently on hacking the new update. There are actually 2 welcome amiibo updates and with each one it has to update BOTH your cartridge and your system. There was the initial update and then I believe a few days later another update happened. I have all my carts updated only to the first one. It could be that your game is glitching between the two updates not knowing which one to use if one part was updated only once but the other was updated both times. It doesn't know which one to use. This issue was stated to happen with the initial update but the reverse action would happen-if you installed the update but then delated it, since the update effects both the cartridge and system, once uninstalled from one but not the other you would not be able to play the game and would need to reinstall the update both times.
It sounds like your game and your system is not installing and unistalling BOTH updates for both game and system. Unless you take it in or are able to scan your system and your game individually yourself and completely remove every file from both updates and then reinstall both to both game and system not much you will be able to do. I hope I have explained it well.
Most people don't know of the second update that happened because it wasn't widely announced. It was only made known that there was an update, not how many there were. If I could take screen shots of what I mean by have both updates I would. My game shows up with the first amiibo update screen splashed across my screen but when I go to play it says a another new update is available. I have two options that come up Y.launch or I think A.install update. I always chose Y.launch. I don't want to install the second update as I am too afraid I might wind up with same problem as you.

And soooo damn sorry for being long winded. Really hard to explain all this without being. ;)
Don't be sorry at all! Thank you for your help! I've never hacked my game but I did own a large "shop" on here, therefore had a lot of guests coming through constantly that could've left an infinity gift wrapped gift, but I don't ever remember coming across one. I think the later portion of your response might be what's wrong. I actually went in today and bought another copy of the game :) so even though my old town (that I've had since the games' release) won't be able to transfer to the update, I can still enjoy the update. Thank you to everyone for the help!

Back