• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo

Haskell

Saving for a username change KEK
Bells
Switch
0000-0000-0000
Wait... Nintendo turned off CF and WW wifi?

Well.. Nintendo Wi-Fi connection got shut down a couple of years ago.
So yes, CF and WW no longer have internet service :( (or rather, DS games and Wii games in general)

Last edited:
The Nintendo Wifi service for anything but Wii U and 3DS have been shut off.

Bummer I know. S:

Why the... this boggles my mind.

What about those that still play City Folk and Wild World?

This worries me that one day New Leaf will lose wifi. There's quite a few things that need it like traveling to towns, playing on the island with others. I don't want that to happen to NL!

This worries me that one day New Leaf will lose wifi. There's quite a few things that need it like traveling to towns, playing on the island with others. I don't want that to happen to NL!

I agree, since the Switch looks like it could be a replacement for the 3DS. ;w; I sure hope not!! I'm not done with online New Leaf play yet!! -screams-

Though, not to jinx it, I'm feeling a little hopeful since the wifi for the DS and Wii just got cut off like last year or something, pretty recent and the 3DS has been out since 2011 . Hope they keep the 3DS alive in general!

Nintendo themselves didn't shut the wifi down. back then, they didn't quite know how to run their own servers for their games so they hired a company (which i cant remember the name of,) to help them out. however, that company was bought by another company, a company who did not want to work with nintendo, so when the 8 year contract they had together needed to be renewed, the company refused.

but now there is wiimmfi, which requires a little hacking on the wii system, but its super easy. (sorry if talk about hacking is not allowed, but this is harmless hacking used to play games online again.)

Nintendo themselves didn't shut the wifi down. back then, they didn't quite know how to run their own servers for their games so they hired a company (which i cant remember the name of,) to help them out. however, that company was bought by another company, a company who did not want to work with nintendo, so when the 8 year contract they had together needed to be renewed, the company refused.

but now there is wiimmfi, which requires a little hacking on the wii system, but its super easy. (sorry if talk about hacking is not allowed, but this is harmless hacking used to play games online again.)

Oooh, thanks for the info! So that also makes sense why Nintendo is seemly excited about their online service for the Switch, unless they found another company to provide that service. xP

Is there, by chance, a thing similar to wiimmfi but for the DS?

So, what you're saying is that Nintendo now knows what they're doing?

Oooh, thanks for the info! So that also makes sense why Nintendo is seemly excited about their online service for the Switch, unless they found another company to provide that service. xP

Is there, by chance, a thing similar to wiimmfi but for the DS?

I'm fairly certain there is, but i haven't looked into that ever. im pretty sure its wiimmfi for both the ds, and wii. if you google wiimmfi, and click wiimmfi main page, there will be some info there . and if you scroll down, there will a list of games. List of all games (supported, test and disabled)

i personally only installed wiimmfi on the wii, to play mario kart wii.

Last edited:
It doesn't make much since for Nintendo to keep servicing wi-fi for older systems which wouldn't see a lot of wi-fi play anyway.

Nintendo shut down the Wild World City Folk servers several years ago; the wifi itself still works, otherwise we wouldn't be able to connect to other towns! It was also recently announced that the 3DS and Switch will thrive side-by-side, so we won't have to worry about those servers being shut down anytime soon! =)

I really can't see the switch being a DS replacement. Nintendo did release statement saying that the switch is a home console at heart and wasn't to take the place of the DS
Plus they haven't long released the new 3DS, it has much more life left

Last edited:

The company that owned the servers was GameSpy (formerly known as QuakeSpy, since they used to host Quake servers back in the 90's). They actually became bankrupt, which is why Nintendo had no choice but to close the servers. It wasn't just the Wii and DS that was affected, it was also other games on other consoles that had servers ran by GameSpy (such as Saints Row 2). Also, the DS wi-fi hack is called AltWFC (I think).

Last edited:
Back