• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Sending villagers clothes

It's pretty random. I once sent all ten of my villagers a different shirt on the same day, and only one of them put it on. Everyone else put it in their house. If there's something you really want a villager to wear, your best bet is to send a whole bunch of letters with the same shirt attached as the present at once. They'll normally wind up wearing it.

I have been wondering this too. I also sent my villagers items for their houses and it never showed up in their house. I think they are picky haha

What I do is send them clothes before 5 pm (the time before the second mail comes for the day) then save/quit. Once it's over 5 pm, I load the game then check to see if they're wearing it. If not, I exit to home menu then launch the game again. It won't save as long as you won't so I repeat the process until they wear it. Once satisfied, I save it. That is 100% effective, at least for me, so no need to send two or more of the same clothes hoping they wear one of them. This is obviously a bit harder (well, tedious) if you're trying to make more than one villager wear the clothing. Probably better to do them one at a time to be sure.

Last edited:
If you are trying to get a villager to wear certain clothes/shirt/tee, try this...

Before it's 5 p.m., send a letter (or multiple of them, like 2~5 letters) with the clothes attached. Save and quit. Then, load the game after 5 p.m. Walk around and see if the villager is wearing the shirt you sent her / him. If not, quit without saving and try loading again..

Pete delivers the mail at 5 pm so that's why you save before 5 pm.. wish you luck!

what i do is send them a letter with the clothing in it, and i write "wear this please" and literally 98% of the time it works.

What I do is send them clothes before 5 pm (the time before the second mail comes for the day) then save/quit. Once it's over 5 pm, I load the game then check to see if they're wearing it. If not, I exit to home menu then launch the game again. It won't save as long as you won't so I repeat the process until they wear it. Once satisfied, I save it. That is 100% effective, at least for me, so no need to send two or more of the same clothes hoping they wear one of them. This is obviously a bit harder (well, tedious) if you're trying to make more than one villager wear the clothing. Probably better to do them one at a time to be sure.

Wow, I never thought about that! Good idea ^_^

I feel like the chance of a villager putting on the clothing sent to them has decreased. I've been spamming two of mine with shirts for what feels like forever and they refuse to acknowledge it. One time I even sent 5 of the same shirt at once to one of them, but no luck.

In that case, I'd think of mine as chance of them wearing being high since I had two of my Welcome Amiibo villagers changed clothes on my first attempt (didn't have to press home to exit and try again) after sending each a single clothing on different days xD Seriously though. I think everything is still purely random. Not sure if the friendship level has anything to do it since those villagers are fairly new to my town. You're probably just having a bad luck and that also happens to me sometimes. Hopefully, you get your villagers to change soon!

Last edited:
My villagers must just be very independent and stubborn with their fashion styles. One just changed into a pro design today, so I'm choosing to be happy with that :)

Either or. I've had both happen, I had a villager who would NOT switch out of this super ugly shirt, and I kept sending him shirts I maybe sent him 5 and then he FINALLY put it on!

That 5 p.m. trick is actually pretty neat. I might try that sometime.

The chance of them wearing something you send might depend on whether it's a liked, disliked or neutral style of theirs.

I had a new villager move in from a friend's town that I had visited, and he moved in wearing the same prodesign that he had on when he was in the other town. I thought that unusual as I didn't have that design in my Ables.

Back