• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you believe Five Nights at Freddy's is overrated?

Do you believe the game is overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 70 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters
Yeah, It really is; the fact that I can't walk into the Electronics section of Walmart without seeing life sized Bonnie plushes, and merchandise everywhere is pretty bad. The game is decent- Not gonna lie, 2 and a half years ago I played it, and thought it was pretty good, and fell into the pit after a few Game Theories came out. Then lost interest immediately. Merchandising is far from a bad thing, it gets your franchise represented by the fans, and spreads awareness of the Game. although the Bonnie plushes should've came out 2 and a half years ago, not now when everyone above the age of 11 has lost interest (Although Sister Location Let's Plays kept me busy for a few hours :p)

I only played the first one. I'm not a fan of predictable jump scares and overall thought it was dumb as hell. Honestly surprised it ever got a following.

to an extent, yes. the games aren't that scary (jumpscares aren't scary), but the story is actually interesting. sister location really had the potential to be something amazing but it fell flat on its face.

It's a neat little game but I don't understand why it's become as popular as it has. I don't really get why it has such a massive fanbase... the cutesy character designs maybe?? That'd explain the amount of merchandise that's been made for it anyway

It's definitely overrated, because so many people are hating it simply because it's popular.
I can see the appeal of the lore and the thrill of the jumpscares (granted, you'll get bored after the first title), but it's definitely getting way more hype than it deserves.

Last edited by a moderator:
no because nothing out there really rivals it truly in terms of what it offers. I don't think this makes it a good franchise, however

The backstory's pretty okay, and I like some of the character designs, but I don't think it's that amazing from what I've seen of it. I do want to actually play it at some point, but it's not at the top of my list.

That aside, as long as the fans and the developer are enjoying playing/working on the series, I don't see a problem with it. It's just not that big a deal one way or the other.

Yes.

Well, at this point I wouldn't really say it is actually. As far as I can tell, it's long past its peak and has kind of dwindled to a more 'niche' audience I would have expected from it in the first place. I rarely ever see or hear about it. I would say when that god awful RPG was released would be where I noticed people just stopped giving a crap.

Undertale sort of stole the limelight when that came along, just as happened with Slender or Minecraft beforehand to name a few, and there'll likely be some new indie game we don't hear the end of for a solid 6 months soon enough...It's the indie success circle of life.

Yes.

But I don't mind people having a fanbase over a game they enjoy alot. :) though they can go overboard sometimes.

Last edited:
I was so surprised how quickly it blew up. Yeah it's a little overrated but that's okay, as long as people enjoy it...doesn't bother me any :)

Back