• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you believe Five Nights at Freddy's is overrated?

Do you believe the game is overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 70 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters

nintendofan85

Good grief.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
7144-2399-2801
Green Candy
Red Candy
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Ancient Candle
Pumpkin Cupcake
Voodoo Doll
Okay, so, even though the game has existed for nearly two and a half years now, one of my friends IRL has recently become obsessed with Five Nights at Freddy's after seeing danisnotonfire play it. As many of you know, the game is featured in a lot of Let's Plays on YouTube.
Honestly, even though I've personally never played it (so I'm probably judging it), I find the game overrated. In the gameplay I've seen, it doesn't even seem that scary (although not much scares me TBH, not even horror movies or amusement park rides), and I honestly don't see how people playing it on YouTube could really find it that scary, as some of them find just the animatronics themselves creepy when they appear. I honestly just don't get it.
I'm probably being too judgmental about the game, but I just don't understand how it got so popular beginning in 2014. Scott Cawthon, despite having begun making video games in 1996, was literally unknown for years. Does anyone feel the same way I do about it? The most it did, honestly, was destroy my childhood because going to Chuck E. Cheese's was a treat for me back in 2004.

Speaking as someone who has been there from the very beginning and is still a big fan today, yes. I feel like it's a genius story with genius characters, but the amount of attention it got (specifically from very young children) was a little much, in my eyes.

That being said, the scary factor isn't what makes it so special. The first game had such a special atmosphere to it, one you can't experience without playing (which you've revealed you haven't). That tension of waiting for one of 'em to pop up by your door is really frightening, and seeing their taunt-like movement through the static cameras doesn't make things any better.

The story is what attracts me now. The most recent instalment, Sister Location, is an amazing tale, one which I don't really wanna spoil for anybody. It's a much more immersive game now as well, whereas previous ones relied more on visuals alone.

You're completely right. It's entirely overrated and I think the only reason it ever got popular in the first place was because so many well-known Youtubers jumped on the bandwagon of playing it. The concept, while kind of intriguing at first, was poorly executed in boring gameplay in my opinion. I don't even like horror games (even though you're right; it's not really a horror game, just relies on the creepy factor and jump scares) so I guess I'm already a little biased haha whoops.

Speaking as someone who has been there from the very beginning and is still a big fan today, yes. I feel like it's a genius story with genius characters, but the amount of attention it got (specifically from very young children) was a little much, in my eyes.

That being said, the scary factor isn't what makes it so special. The first game had such a special atmosphere to it, one you can't experience without playing (which you've revealed you haven't). That tension of waiting for one of 'em to pop up by your door is really frightening, and seeing their taunt-like movement through the static cameras doesn't make things any better.

The story is what attracts me now. The most recent instalment, Sister Location, is an amazing tale, one which I don't really wanna spoil for anybody. It's a much more immersive game now as well, whereas previous ones relied more on visuals alone.

I've gotta admit, the backstory to the game is interesting. I know that the first game takes place in 1993 and it mentions past events (for example, the bite of '87, and other past issues since the company's founding in 1973). But actually waiting for something to happen, to me at least, feels as interesting as watching HeadOn commercials on repeat.

I've gotta admit, the backstory to the game is interesting. I know that the first game takes place in 1993 and it mentions past events (for example, the bite of '87, and other past issues since the company's founding in 1973). But actually waiting for something to happen, to me at least, feels as interesting as watching HeadOn commercials on repeat.

I don't know what made you think it was founded in 1973, but the first known establishment opened in 1987, and the bite that you're talking about was an experiment the killer constructed following the abduction of several children, which was in 1983.

Plenty has happened already in the story. In fact, there is very little in need of clearing up. The main mysteries of the story were solved in the latest game.

Last edited:
I don't know what made you think it was founded in 1973, but the first known establishment opened in 1987, and the bite that you're talking about was an experiment the killer constructed following the abduction of several children, which was in 1983.

Plenty has happened already in the story. In fact, there is very little in need of clearing up. The main mysteries of the story were solved in the latest game.

I remember hearing a "14 years before 1987" was the foundation of the company.

Kinda, yeah. I see the appeal, but imo it's a shame the amount of people "theorising" and hyping about the lore kinda ruined the sense of mystery it had.

Still, it's not like I'm mad about it or anything. I'm glad that so many people are enjoying a relatively simple and easily-accessible game.

The games arent bad but it got too much attention. I shouldn't go to a store and see merch for it.

I haven't played a single one, nor have any interest. From watching YouTubers play, the gameplay seems pretty simple and boring. I feel like if it didn't have the jump scares, no one would care about it.

I guess so? I mean, it's nowhere near as scary as people say (Seeing them in the halls is scarier than the actual jumpscares), but as a game it's alright. Like a sort of twisted tower defence. It's good, but it's not amazing. The plot is decent though, I suppose...

At this point I think it's overrated. I'm honestly 10x more interested in the lore behind it than the game(s) itself. I was there from the beginning and, with every fandom I have joined, I end up losing interest and finding it completely overdone in terms of OCs, memes, fanfics and all that jazz. I just find it weird that the fandom is mostly comprised of younger (8-10) but that's just me

I like watching Markiplier and Jacksepticeye play the games, but their reactions, and in general, most Let's Play-ers' reactions, are most of what make the game interesting. I don't like jump scares and tend to have more fun watching the series than I would playing, but having seen all that these games have to offer, I can say it's overrated without much of a problem.

I do actually like the series and think Scott's created a pretty cool world, but I think a lot of the "amazing twists" are just retcons or bits of story Scott hasn't fleshed out all the way. I think fans go way too far, from harassing people in real life to planting Freddy's jumpscares into unrelated videos to having all-out flame wars about the gender of a pink and white version of Foxy.

Seriously. Flame wars over whether a robotic fox is male or female. ...Seriously.

Again. Cool world. Cool story. I would like some answers to the chronological problems, definitely. But once you find out how all the jump scares are triggered, those aren't scary. The scares come from the ambiance, really, and that's the best the games have to offer.

However, I will say that The Silver Eyes was actually a pretty good book.

what makes the game special is the atmosphere. thats it. the fanbase reeks and they praise it for all the wrong reasons.

It has a good story with lots of depth, it was well executed, you keep playing to learn more of the 'mystery' behind it (only the first game, though), there's no denying that it's a great game. But it was far too overrated, like Undertale, the fanbase ruined it. It's getting it's own movie, there's FIVE unnecessary games. Even YouTubers got sick of it. The only YouTuber who actually enjoys it now is Markiplier, and his reactions are probably fake. Good game, but it didn't need the four games following it. But it's just my optinion

I don't think it's overrated. Do I think it's well worn out it's welcome by now? Yeah, but overrated? Naw.

Honestly, this whole thing of calling any game (or anything, really) overrated is just so so obnoxious. Like, it's find if you dislike this popular thing, but calling it overrated because you dislike it just comes off as saying "my opinion is more important/smarter than anybody that actually likes (insert popular thing)."

On the subject of FNAF, it got popular because it took something that many people saw as a childhood fear and made an interesting game out of it. The only problem I have with FNAF is that instead of choosing to stop at the second or even first game, the creator chose to keep beating the dead horse and nothing ruins a good game/show/ect like having it dragged out long past it's expiration date.

I'd have to say the fnaf is one of the worst things to exist. Fanbase is cringey, merch is embarrassing too. I remember when it first came out and I was excited and I quickly dropped it after a few months. Confused about the guy who makes the games too because he always releases the games early??

I'd have to say the fnaf is one of the worst things to exist. Fanbase is cringey, merch is embarrassing too. I remember when it first came out and I was excited and I quickly dropped it after a few months. Confused about the guy who makes the games too because he always releases the games early??

Honestly, I could be completely off-base here, but I attribute Scott's habit to release his games too early with the same mentality that causes guitarists to post snippets of new songs in their tweets. I think his passion is making games. I think after the utter disaster of his last pre-FNAF game and the fact he had legitimately meant Five Nights at Freddy's to be his last game made it mean so much more to him that he's finally created something people really love. Really, I think he releases games early for no reason other than the fact that he LOVES making them, he loves the process, and he can't contain his excitement enough to stick to the right release date.

Honestly, I could be completely off-base here, but I attribute Scott's habit to release his games too early with the same mentality that causes guitarists to post snippets of new songs in their tweets. I think his passion is making games. I think after the utter disaster of his last pre-FNAF game and the fact he had legitimately meant Five Nights at Freddy's to be his last game made it mean so much more to him that he's finally created something people really love. Really, I think he releases games early for no reason other than the fact that he LOVES making them, he loves the process, and he can't contain his excitement enough to stick to the right release date.

Yeah, i feel bad for him because of his fanbase. the game was good for a few months and it just became repetitive. it's nice that he's enjoying himself though

Yeah, i feel bad for him because of his fanbase. the game was good for a few months and it just became repetitive. it's nice that he's enjoying himself though

Yeah, again, I don't really know the full story, but personally? I don't think Scott's making these games as a cashgrab. His fans are absolutely insane, especially since so many of them are young and excitable. I just think Scott's happy the thing he's passionate about is working for him.

I did like Sister Location best out of the sequels, however, because it made it almost a new game. All the others were the same, but the first one and Sister Location definitely had their own things going on. Also, that voice acting.

Yes, it is overrated, even when it first came out. And it still is.

Back