Animal Crossing Switch

I kinda hope so, but at the same time I really don't.

I kinda have an idea for how it could work. Maybe they could release one, and you could connect it your 3DS town and visit it via the Switch game, allowing you to interact with your 3DS town in full HD, and still have all the new areas and features in a seperate part of the town. Kind of like a Mario Odyssey, open-world style game, where your main town from the 3DS is accessible via a gate like in City Folk, and everything else is brand new and exclusive to the Switch.

Or maybe they could just continue updating New Leaf with new stuff, which I personally think would be the best option.

The Switch is going to take SD card-size cartridges, so I wonder if we could transfer data from our New Leaf towns. That would be great if they do that!

I personally would like more New Leaf updates, but I don't see it happening. Heck, I'm surprised we got the update we got as it is because the game is a bit old by now. The reason I don't see it happening is I don't think the 3DS has much more life in it left. The main reason they even added the New Leaf update in the first place was to add amiibo functionality so they could sell more amiibos.

I don't think so. Maybe for the Wii U??
They just updated New Leaf & yeah! Can't let that go to waste

I don't think so. Maybe for the Wii U??
They just updated New Leaf & yeah! Can't let that go to waste

They aren't making the Wii U anymore, they certainly aren't going to announce a new game for it.

Only reason Zelda is going to the Wii U is because they announced it years ago.

i dont have any real hopes anymore, i dont have faith nintendo is gonna make a new animal crossing anytime soon and will probably do more lazy updates for old games instead of making new ones

To be perfectly honest, since Nintendo did not announce animal crossing for the switch, I will be perfectly happy with another New Leaf update.

Yes, there will definitely be a new Animal Crossing game for Switch. Definitely won't be this year, but a definite late 2018/mid 2019 for sure. I think we'll probably get a small announcement sometime this year at least.

Nintendo is not going to allow their newest handheld to lose one of its highest selling titles. New Leaf did gangbusters on the 3DS and they will want to repeat that with a new Animal Crossing.

Also I keep seeing a lot of "They just updated New Leaf, soooo" which quite frankly is no excuse to not do a Switch game. A lot of what made it to the Welcome Amiibo update was probably meant for the Wii U installment, but came too late in the Wii Us life for them to put it to any use, so they took some of it and put it in New Leaf as an update while Wii U development moved over to Switch.

Last edited:
I actually really hope the next AC game doesn't come for at least another 2-ish years.
I think people just started playing New Leaf again with new found enthusiasm & sense of community since 2015 or so. The update & all the amiibo cards & sidegames have really already been quite a lot to handle just for a year or so for fans (and our wallets/time).

If anything, for the next couple years, I think AC title would benifit from just updating & giving downloadable treats for New Leaf.
The only things I could think to make it better, would mainly be smaller things.
New Leaf is a kind of old game, but it has managed to age very well & still is just as relevant of a title as it was in 2013 IMO.

Last edited:
I keep seeing a lot of "They just updated New Leaf, soooo" which quite frankly is no excuse to not do a Switch game.

I also keep seeing a lot of "Animal Crossing is better on a handheld". Have they even played the GCN game or City Folk? I always felt that playing it on a console was more comfortable since playing it on a handheld meant that you had to carry the entire system around which can make your arms sore after a while. I just find it easier to relax when playing on a console.

While I agree with you(and why I am so excited about the Switch with its hybrid capabilities), I do see where the handheld elite are coming from. There's nothing worse than getting hit with a power surge and losing your progress for that session. Something one playing Animal Crossing Switch in console mode won't have to worry about since it'll just drop back into handheld mode if the power goes out.

While I agree with you(and why I am so excited about the Switch with its hybrid capabilities), I do see where the handheld elite are coming from. There's nothing worse than getting hit with a power surge and losing your progress for that session. Something one playing Animal Crossing Switch in console mode won't have to worry about since it'll just drop back into handheld mode if the power goes out.

That barely happens with me. Besides, the Switch will not be affected by the power cut since it's technically a handheld (it doesn't plug into a wall socket). If a power cut were to happen, the only thing you'd lose is the TV connection and battery charger. You could still play it like a tablet (though I'd prefer to use a controller).

That's... what I said. If the power goes out, the power going to the dock would be lost and the Switch would be forced to switch back to handheld mode.

Something one playing Animal Crossing Switch in console mode won't have to worry about since it'll just drop back into handheld mode if the power goes out.

Power surges happen, just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't. I've had it happen a few times during my years with GCN and City Folk.

Last edited:

Ha, power surges. The funny thing is, I'm a big enough gaming nerd that my whole TV setup is actually plugged into a battery backup device. Like, if the power goes out, I could literally keep playing for up to 30 minutes. It's handy so I don't have to worry about losing progress. I'm way more likely to lose progress from my save file getting corrupted randomly.

I prefer AC handheld not because of the power thing, but because it's the kind of game that feels great for pickup and go. It's a game that you can play for as short as a few minutes at a time if you want to. Generally when I boot up a console game, I intend to play for 1 hour+.

That's part of the reason I could never get into Animal Crossing on Gamecube (never played Wii version). Didn't feel like booting up the console for short plays.

Yeah, same here. Got one of those battery packs a few years back when we started experiencing random blackouts. It has been such a lifesaver.

Im mostly hoping for the depth of customization we got in HHD having a yard to decorate would give a lot more creativity to houses and villager homes

I can definitely see it coming to the Switch, but I don't see it being released until holiday 2018 at the earliest. I'd prefer sooner rather than later, but I'm not going to complain or be annoyed if we don't end up getting in until 2019, or even 2020.

As for features I'd like to see, ever since City Folk and the Wii's weather channel, I've always wanted a way to sync the two up where the game can mimic the current weather forecast for your location. Obviously this would have it's issues, such as people living in places where it never rains not being able to catch weather exclusive bugs/fish so it's probably never going to happen, but there's just something about playing the game, when it's raining both in game, and IRL.

As for other stuff, I would really love them to go back to the concept map for New Leaf and add in a few more things they were planning;

bRtKdpE.png

PWP's on the beach, a smaller second island, the main island being more plaza like, rather than just a tiny island, Kappn' having a shack in the town and not just hit boat in the town, a house on the water out in the sea, and a cave off in the distance. I'm sure some of these features were juts aesthetics (such as the cave) but there are still some really cool ideas on there, and I remember seeing this when waiting for New Leaf to come out, and being hyped by all the stuff on the map, but then half of it never made it into the actual game. I'd love for them to revisit some of these concepts and hopefully throw them in the game. My wistful thinking is they were going to add this stuff in, but then decided to cut them because they'd already added enough new content and wanted to save some stuff for the next title ;)

I would really love them to go back to the concept map for New Leaf and add in a few more things they were planning;

bRtKdpE.png

The cave really reminds me of the one seen in the movie, where they use a boat to go inside and 'hunt' for fossils. They should add a cave into the Switch version, definitely.

One of my hopes for Animal Crossing Switch is more varied weather effects. Puddles and wind especially. Sure they would be minor, but imagine after a rainfall you're running through town and there's these little reflective puddles of water all over that splash when you run through them. They could also somehow serve as an environment for new bugs or whatever to appear.
I'd also love to see wind in the game. It could be an early sign that a thunderstorm would be happening in the next hour or so, but could also serve the triggering weather change for autumn where it blows all of the leaves off the trees, creating piles that you can run through.

I want to see some sort of soundscape too. Let us turn off the BGM and just have the rustling of wind through leaves and songbirds off in the distance.

I sure hope so, it's the only thing that will get me to buy a Switch. Just as NL was the one thing that got me to buy a 3DS. I'm hoping for larger towns similar to Population Growing's size except without the acre system. I know it's very unlikely to happen but I'd love for Nintendo to bring back the rude/grumpy villagers instead of the watered down happy-go-lucky personalities they have in New Leaf. A lot of complaints I had with NL were alleviated with the Amiibo update so as long as many of those features make it to the next main title I'll be pretty happy with whatever they come up with.

Back